Sugar free nutrition for runnings (Read 229 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

haykate

Well, I saw it on Dr Oz - my plan is to research it myself and write a follow up blog linking to medical information of how sugar interacts with the body's hormonal functions and gut functions  (which is pretty settled, as far as I understand it as a layperson) .

I have been side tracked with a hazardous substances piece and the sugar one has been demoted until that one is finished.  But I'll get up it there soon, promise!

What evidence do you have to support these assertions?

Kate

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If the source is Dr. Oz, going the opposite direction may be a good start.

And: Dr. Oz is not evidence. Dr. Oz is opinion, much of which has been debunked.

Please share primary sources and research. That is evidence.

haykate

I know to take with a pinch of salt but the biological facts of how the gut/hormone feedback loop works is unlikely to be "out there".  Agreed by my Pharmacist friend as being non contentious in terms of biological reality.

I agree with respect to sources - not going to be primary sources - more likely from medical textbooks, medical dictionaries and other secondary sources - it will be difficult to find settled anatomical data in published research as there is no discovery to be made.

I am interested in understanding this in detail and posting the process as a follow up. Too busy being annoyed by poison signage all over some favourite places and so have been distracted

If the source is Dr. Oz, going the opposite direction may be a good start.

And: Dr. Oz is not evidence. Dr. Oz is opinion, much of which has been debunked.

Please share primary sources and research. That is evidence.

Kate

haykate

We live in the real world.  We're not zealouts. We recognise that there may be some degree of hypocrisy.  its been an interesting health experiment for our family.

I've got a link on the blog to a really good list of sweetners and what they are

Basically, We not eating sugar, and the commercial standins.

We do eat some honey and I allow a bit of stevia so as not to be a party pooper (I know stevia is heavily processed - but it doesn't seem to have the specific observed effects on our metabolisms).

We don't use other artificial sweeteners as I have read that the way these are processed in the liver aren't great and some diabetics are presenting with liver issues following heavy use of these products

Define "chemical"

Kate

haykate

Agreed

I believe if you eat the whole fruit, it would be pretty difficult to have too much sugar from fruit.

Now, fruit juice on the other hand... is like a sugar IV.  But, there are times after a run/workout, where my body needs that quick influx of sugar.

Kate

haykate

I've done similar by getting rid of a lot of sugar in my diet... no concentrated sugar things (cakes, cookies, candy,  flavored lattes etc.). I was using Hammer for a while until I decided maltodextrin didn't sound like a good thing once I learned what it was. That said, I have to take in something while running long distances and real food isn't available. I noticed you said you limit honey so what I do might not work for you. I've been using the organic honey stinger gels. The regular honey stinger gels have 27 grams of sugar. The organic ones have 13 grams. Neither have maltodextrin. I prefer the organic pomegranate ones.

Congrats on cutting down on the sugar! I've found I still get more than I want in my diet simply by eating without adding in sweet things. Mine started out as an experiment as well and to support my diabetic mom who said she had to quit eating it. That was almost 4 years ago. Glad I made the choice I made, and I don't see myself ever going back.

Those organic honey gels sound awesome!  have not yet found them in NZ, will have a look though!

Kate

endlessrun

We have cut out sugar proper - as kind of an experiment.  What we do wouldn't suit people who cut back for specific health reasons, such as diabetics, because of the fruit sugar.  Basically, we are all active and not worried about calories - we're worried about processed, empty calories.  So, our rules are:

• no sugar itself (white, raw or brown) - sugar has a specific effect on the gut stimulating the release of cortisol and causing inflammation and stress, which releases more cortisol.  It's the specific way the sugar is processed by the gut that makes it so bad for you.  (as opposed to sugars)
                • nothing with sugar (or its pseudonyms - glucose, maltodextrin, sucrose, etc) in the ingredients list
                • no chemical additives
                • minimal honey...

It's great that you cut down on sugar although I think your reasoning is off.  Cortisol is a hormone released during stress.  What would be released by gut bacteria in response to a comfort food like sugar would be dopamine.  Why else would people continue to eat it?

One of the only times we really do need sugar is during exertion like running.  The muscles use glucose (sugar) for energy.  Maltodextrin is perfect for this because it's quick release.  That's why it's in energy gels.

Honey, like agave, molasses, maple syrup, or cane extract, is still sugar.  Very little difference to the body between these and table sugar or HFCS.  Not that a little is going to matter but don't fool yourself, either.

Non-sweet alternatives while running might include crackers or chips of various kinds, small cooked potatoes, bread or bagels, peanut butter, tuna salad (hold the mayo), and beans or peas, like garbanzo or edamame.  Still, sugary gels or fruit are the best, IMO.

#artbydmcbride

Well, I saw it on Dr Oz - .....

Runners run

HelgaDeleon

spam