Thoughts on Austin? (Read 149 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Looking around for my Spring marathon, Austin is one of the possibilities.  Any of you who have run it, what's it like?

And I feel kind of silly that this is a factor, but no mention is made on the website about a finisher's medal.  I never would have thought I'd care about hardware, but as I do more and more of these, I find the medals are kind of becoming the souvenirs that bring the day back to mind for me the most.  Do they not give one out, as part of the "green initiative" they talk about?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I ran it over 10 years ago because its a fast, BQ course. It was the destination marathon that was well run, had pacers and close to hotels.

Marathon medals get thrown in a drawer, given to the kids or stuck in the pocket of my running bag.

ETA: Geez that was back in 2001 and 2002. Do remember the breakfast burritos at the finish, that was a unique Texas twist.

Get off my porch

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I live in Austin and have run the half and trained for but not run the full. Have run the route most used these days. The course has hills and I would call it BQ easy, but it is a fun, scenic course thru Austin and along the Colorado river. Oh, yes they give out medals, I have a couple for the half and am sure they have given and will likely give medals for the full this year.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Craig42

I live in the area and have run it the last two years.  I think the course is fun and interesting.  It goes through many types of areas -- downtown,  areas with small businesses and restaurants,  scenic along the river, residential, and the UT campus.   It has some hills and elevation changes as you run,  but the last few miles are mostly downhill.   The "crowd support" along the way is good.

The finisher medals are very nice IMO.   They are my favorites of my small collection.

joescott

I ran it in 2011.  It's not a hard course, but it's not completely a piece of cake, either, IMHO.  Perhaps I would call it "moderately easy."  Finisher's medal is very nice -- one of the nicest ones I have, maybe the best, in fact.

The huge risk to me is that it is in Texas, meaning that it can be hot even in February.  It's a total crapshoot.  When I ran it the temps were about 65-70, so not terrible, but not optimal either, and you never know.  It could just as likely be 80 as 40, I expect.  (I lived in Fort Worth for 5 years, and I have run a few Texas marathons, so I think I'm at least somewhat qualified to comment on this).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

alizuk

I ran the Austin half last year, and I don't think I would call the course super easy...it's deceptively hilly and I was coming from Cincinnati which is all hills. For the most part it's flat, though--but I have never run the full marathon course. Also, I was coming from training in -10-20 degree weather and when I got there, it was 90 degrees...in February. Granted, they were experiencing record warm weather, but that definitely played a factor in it. So just keep that in mind, but Austin is a fun city so I would definitely give it a shot! Also, they gave finisher medals last year and pretty cool age group winner awards.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanks, guys and gals!

Yeah, definitely aware of the temperature risks, living in East Texas.  Here in the middle of December, we just got done with a run of upper 50's-mid 60's days.  *sings* It's beginning to look, a lot, like, SPRING.

But really, unless I want to travel a ways, I deal with unpredictable weather in both my Spring and Fall Marathons every year.  Dallas 2012 was mid 80's, IIRC.  White River Marathon for Kenya in north Arkansas - Fall 2013 - was, I think, upper 30's, mid 40's.  And so forth.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys and gals!

Yeah, definitely aware of the temperature risks, living in East Texas.  Here in the middle of December, we just got done with a run of upper 50's-mid 60's days.  *sings* It's beginning to look, a lot, like, SPRING.

But really, unless I want to travel a ways, I deal with unpredictable weather in both my Spring and Fall Marathons every year.  Dallas 2012 was mid 80's, IIRC.  White River Marathon for Kenya in north Arkansas - Fall 2013 - was, I think, upper 30's, mid 40's.  And so forth.

Have fun!  I'm jealous!  Smile  My 16-year-old daughter is in Austin right now, visiting with my family (she has a cousin so close in age and temperament that we call them "twin cousins" and try to get them together often).

I ran a 5K in Austin one April morning.  It was 46 degrees!  I wore shorts and a short-sleeved shirt and got a lot of comments from people dressed in long pants, jackets, hats, and gloves!

The race starts at 7:00 am, so around 40F-60F at the race starting time would be my guess based on last February's temperatures.

The high temperature of the day could reach 80s, but depend on your time needed to finish the race, you might be finishing it way before the temperature hit daily high which is generally after noon time.

Thanks, guys and gals!

flauta

My daughter was looking to do a marathon in the Winter and she settled on Austin.  I am tagging along and using it as a training race for Boston.  We are training in NY and CT, respectively, and I have a tough time in hot weather so thanks for the heads up on the potential for warm weather.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

If I don do the half this year I'll probably volunteer with Team RWB, Look for the guy in the red Team RWB Shirt and Navy Seabee Vietnam Veteran cap. Likely to also have my Yorkie service dog in a kangaroo pouch or by my side. Shout out, would like to meet some RA'ers in RL!

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If I don do the half this year I'll probably volunteer with Team RWB, Look for the guy in the red Team RWB Shirt and Navy Seabee Vietnam Veteran cap. Likely to also have my Yorkie service dog in a kangaroo pouch or by my side. Shout out, would like to meet some RA'ers in RL!

Hats off to you and your RWB teammates.  Good stuff you do!