Breaking down and getting DVR (Read 653 times)

obiebyke

I got a big raise recently (from almost nothing to a little more than nothing Wink), and although I'll be saving some of that extra money, I figured I should reward myself for hard work, too. So I decided to upgrade to DVR TV. I REALLY want it, and I figure it might actually help me watch less tv in a way, since I won't be watching things that are just there, and I can go to bed earlier because I'm not staying up to watch something. Plus, no commercials! I decided to go with DirecTV DVR, since I already have a basic receiver. The price was too much to pass up (cheaper than TiVo). I'm feeling a little nervous, though. It requires a two year contract and I'm starting grad school in the fall, so it IS a little silly to add a bigger bill to my life right now. Plus, some people on BestBuy.com say DirecTV DVR blows. Folks, what do you think about DVR? Give me your testimonials in either direction.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

We have DishNetwork (via AT&T/SBC) with DVR and love it. I've heard good things about DirecTV, so can't think of any reason why you wouldn't like it! DVR is the best invention ever!! Big grin
      ---- Cynthia

Imminent Catastrophe

Folks, what do you think about DVR? Give me your testimonials in either direction.
        I can't live without it. When I'm in a hotel it drives me nuts because I can't pause, back up and time shift. The only thing better is the HD DVR! BTW I have the DirecTV, it works fine. MTA: You can record two shows at once, and watch a recorded one, if you have the dual-LNB dish.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

I honestly wouldn't even watch television without one. Seriously. If you get digital cable, I think a DVR is usually included with the box. We had TIVO for a while, too, and that worked fine. I don't know anything about DirectTV. Whatever. Just trust me - you'll never be able to NOT have one once you try it. It's one of the few recent inventions I approve of. And we did find we were spending less actual time sitting there. We almost never watch shows when they're actually on - just check what we recorded and watch. Is yours going to be able to record 2 shows at once? That's a helluva useful feature. The TIVO couldn't, and now I couldn't live without that either. I'd think it'd be perfect for a grad student.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

obiebyke

Yup, two shows at once. I just have to get the folks to run a second line. Glad to hear good things. It'll be perfect for my grad student ways, but not my grad student wallet. Ah well, give me more loans, I say! Keep your reviews comin'. I'm drooling.

AnneCA

I was a holdout for a long time; figured, we don't watch much TV, what's the big deal? Now I can't imagine life without it. Most of "my shows" I actually still watch on the days they're on (habit), I just start watching them 15 minutes late and zip through the commercials or pause if needed. It sounds like a little thing, but it is so worth it. And you may be right about watching less TV, because I record a couple of news/talk shows, and then just zip through the parts I'm not interested in (pre-DVR, I tended to just miss these shows, so it might have, in my case, added to my total TV viewing, but only marginally so, and I'm a better-informed person for it).
              obiebyke

Cool Anne. And go Bears! Maybe I'll run into you at a race someday. And maybe I'll steal my 8-year-old niece to help me finish like your munchkin did. Cute!

I rent a cable HD DVR (extra $12 bucks a month... it's a bit pricey). COOL CABLE DVR FEATURE.....TW is doing an OnDemand deal this year (I believe) where if you miss the first part of a show they'll let you get the rest from them within a 24HR time window. For me.... DVR is okay, but I actually prefer to download shows using a Torrent client and RSS sites like TVRSS.net.

Vim

Gotta TRI

hey Obie, DVR Totally rocks!!! Can't imagine how I lived without it! Big grin Andy
                    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                      I have Verizon FiOS with HD DVR. It is the greatest invention in history. Dual tuners you can record two shows at once or record one while watching another. It's always recording what you're watching so if you like what you're watching at any time you can press record to store it. Etc. It's freakin awesome. Especially with HD but that probably takes things into a price range you don't want to talk about right now so we'll skip that. Ayway. It is especially good for housholds with multiple tv watchers vying for the same tv. Like if some idiot had four kids and a wife for example, this would be perfect. I've watched most of the Patriots games for the past 6 weeks or so (since I got it) without commercials. Just sayin'. And I do end up watching less TV because there's no pressure to tune in when shows are on. It's hard to explain.

Runners run

Burninated Peasant

I have Verizon FiOS with HD DVR. It is the greatest invention in history. Dual tuners you can record two shows at once or record one while watching another. It's always recording what you're watching so if you like what you're watching at any time you can press record to store it. Etc. It's freakin awesome. Especially with HD but that probably takes things into a price range you don't want to talk about right now so we'll skip that. Ayway. It is especially good for housholds with multiple tv watchers vying for the same tv. Like if some idiot had four kids and a wife for example, this would be perfect. I've watched most of the Patriots games for the past 6 weeks or so (since I got it) without commercials. Just sayin'. And I do end up watching less TV because there's no pressure to tune in when shows are on. It's hard to explain.
                        What he said. Except without the Patriots.

Bugs

Oh I miss my Tivo since I got a new house without a clear view of the southern sky. I watched more TV with it, but happily.

Bugs

We have DirecTV DVR and LOVE it!! Big grin Actually, we have 2 of them so we can each record our own shows! Blush I still don't know how we ever lived without them. Sara
                              Our family is still in the dark ages about some things. We don't have Direct or DVR - or anything like that. We do have basic cable though. Big grin Don't laugh - at the moment our living room tv is under 20''. We don't watch much tv so getting a new tv is low priority.

Michelle

What he said. Except without the Patriots.
                                What he said about what he said. Including the four rugrats and the wife but also without the Patriots. It's right up there with The Wiggles before the Yellow one left in terms of a necessity. I know of no one that is not satisfied with this technology. It will change your life.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs