question for the men (Read 653 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

This question is for all guys who have had a vasectomy. I am contemplating getting a vasectomy; and I was just wondering how long after having one that you were able to resume running. I am training for Huntsville marathon (December 13, 2008), and was wondering if I should wait until after the marathon to have the surgery. Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Weell, when the Dr says go home and don't do anything for a couple of days...follow those rules to the T. or else you will be sorry. Its been a while since I had mine, and I wasn't running...but I believe I was back to normal activities within a week...I went back to work after a couple of days...

Prince of Fatness

Weell, when the Dr says go home and don't do anything for a couple of days...follow those rules to the T. or else you will be sorry.
        Yep, I followed the doctors orders to the letter and had no problems. My doctor told me to wear a jockstrap for a few days to keep things from moving around. I tried that and it didn't work well, so I tried some compression shorts that I had and it worked much better. The key is keeping everything still while you are healing. As for recovery time, it's been years and I don't remember exactly, but I don't think it was more than a week or two. I would recommend talking to your doctor. See what they say about recovery time. Worst case you schedule it after the race and have some self imposed recovery time.

Not at it at all. 

My legs are killing me

Just to be on the safe side, I'd wait a week and keep the frozen peas on the affected area. If you start running too early you'll really be out and when it comes down to it what's a week.
          C-R

Doc said two days of R&R and wear tight undies or jock for a week. Had mine on Friday, lounged around for the weekend and went back on the road on Monday morning. No problems for me. Follow docs advice and you'll be ok. Don't worry about the smoke during the actual event. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mw0031

"We've got a bleeder." It's never a good sign when the doctor is tugging on your nether regions and exclaims, "whoa." But that's what happened during mine. Right after his "whoa," I saw a stream of blood shoot up like a mini-geyser and hit the doc right in his goggles. Needless to say, my procedure was a little more complicated then it usually is, but I was back on the trail in four days. I tried jock strap too, but found it way too binding, and there was a, ahem, swelling problem that was hard to tuck into the jock. Compression shorts were way better deal for me. As to your question; just do a harder training week the week before your procedure, ending with either a 1/2 marathon at race pace or a long long run (18 to 22), and then your recovery time will be well-deserved, and consistent with most training programs. Good luck.