My ankle is swollen should I run. (Read 1333 times)

I twisted my ankle on Saturday. I took yesterday off and according to my loving wife my ankle is twice the size it should be. I don’t see it, but she is a RN, so I guess I should believe her. Right now on a scale of 1 to 10 the pain is a 3. How should I decide when to start running again? Should I wait until the swelling is gone, Should I wait until there is no pain, or should I wait till the pain and swelling is minimal? Will running on the ankle make it worse? Can I ride a bike instead while my ankle gets better?

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

You can run, it will help flush the swelling out. Just stay on a flat surface and take it easy.

Into the wild

I think I just lost it...I admit it.. Confused I can no longer spot a genuine, bona fide, tell it the way it is, just like my mom baked, post ...... from trolling...Is it just me??

Shut up and run

Runner

I don't know how great of advice this really is but for me it works and I ran a duathlon once after a pretty severe sprain after playing soccer. I ran two days after not being able to walk on the thing without a noticeable limp. I had a 19:15 5k so I think I was able to heal up well enough to let the adrenaline carry me the rest of the way but I also... ice bucket/ heat ice bucket/ heat ice bucket/heat ice bucket/heat several times a day. Heat will cause swelling but the ice would hurry the healing process so it helped my injury. my .02 sure there's better advice but I rarely follow advice that really makes sense like resting. ha!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Well I road the bike and had no problems with the ankle. It seems like there is a consensus that I should be able to run on the ankle in its present condition Smile. Though to make the wife happy I will also just ride the bike tomorrow. Then on Wednesday I will try and go for a five mile run. I think on that day I will try wearing one of those soft ankle braces for added support (this will also be done to help keep the wife happy). I will also be putting my foot into an ice bucket like T1Dawk suggests. Hopefully this plan works. If any of you have a dissenting opinion on why running on the ankle is a bad idea I would also like to hear them.

I think I just lost it...I admit it.. Confused I can no longer spot a genuine, bona fide, tell it the way it is, just like my mom baked, post ...... from trolling...Is it just me??
              If you meant me, I wasn't joking. I sprained my ankle more times than I can count during my college running career and learned quickly that as long as there's no bone damage and you're careful about the surface, running actually helps it heal more quickly.

Prophet!

i have run on bummed ankle before, the only thing i would watch out for is that the healing ankle is not strong and you maybe more susceptible to another twist or turn... a number of times i twisted my ankle, within the week after that i had one more more twists though not as severe.

You'll ruin your knees!

I think if you are able to keep a normal stride, then you'll be OK. If you adjust your stride, the way your foot comes down even one little bit, you're likely to cause a compensation problem elsewhere...most likely a knee. The bike won't kill you, just listen to your body. If after your run tomorrow, your ankle is mad (swollen more, for example)...go back to the bike for a few days... Good luck, Lynn B MTA: Also what surfNrun said...he is a wise islander!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Into the wild

If you meant me, I wasn't joking.
                    No aparrish, I was referring to the original post..with recent attempts at trolling I have my radar too finely tuned Wink It seemed the original poster asking a rhetorical question... I'll stand down Big grin

Shut up and run

I have a constant ankle problem and I roll it on a regular basis and it blows up on me. I rolled in last Wednesday in a basketball game in the first 2 minutes, I played the rest of the game. It swelled to twice it's size..I iced it the next day and took a day off. I was back running by Friday and ran a 5 mile race on Sunday. I say you can run..but then again my ankle is very messed up..maybe bc I never gave it time to heal properly 10 years ago... Wink
                        AS a former skateboarder, who always hurt his ankle .. rolling it, twisting it, landing on it when trying to flip a huge set, I highly recommend the good ole fashion RICE method. Rest Ice Compress Elevate So, No, I won't run on it for at least a few days, and do that method as much as you can! feel better.
                        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
                          No aparrish, I was referring to the original post..with recent attempts at trolling I have my radar too finely tuned Wink It seemed the original poster asking a rhetorical question... I'll stand down Big grin
                          Johnny Franglais, Not sure what you are getting at, it seems that you are implying something. If you have something to say you should just say it. To all who answered my question honestly. Thank You. I did run yesterday, for three miles. I did a tempo run (I know that was not smart but I wanted to see what I could do). My ankle was sore and I did have to change my stride a little when I was running hard. My ankle did not hurt more and did not swell up after the run. I think jlynnbob made a good point and I will only ride the bike or elliptical today and tomorrow. Saturday I will do a slower test run again.