2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Video but no sound NYRR Section 2 600M.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Video but no sound NYRR Section 2 600M.

There's sound.  They were playing Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now," which is a ridiculously hilarious and appropriate choice for indoor track.

Nice move around the entire pack from back to front!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

Anyone have shoe recommendations for a guy who's been running in Pegasus and Zoom Fly for the last...2,000 miles or so?

I think I'm done with the Zoom Fly for now especially since my stock of $30 pairs is basically worn out. I can't stomach dropping $150 for the Pegi turbo, either.

Doesn't have to be Nike. I don't need stability - I'm a slight supinator if anything. I like a decent cushion. I already have a pair of Next% for races.

Thanks in advance!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

JMac11

RIP Milkman

“Don’t Stop Me Now” is really hilarious, great pick up DW.

Watching that video makes me missing run HS track, ran a few meets in the Armory back in HS and haven’t been back since. I should jump in at some point just to relive the experience. Although all I can remember about the Armory was that it was IMPOSSIBLE to breathe in there. Felt like you had rubber in your throat. Hopefully they fixed that.

Either way Nimmals, great racing! That second to last lap was a work of art.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

... ran a few meets in the Armory back in HS and haven’t been back since. I should jump in at some point just to relive the experience. Although all I can remember about the Armory was that it was IMPOSSIBLE to breathe in there.

Your could jump in with our club (CPTC-NB) on Tuesday nights at 7pm for an interval workout or check the NYRR schedule for Thurs "Night at the Races" series, if you feel like racing.

The vibe is like a public indoor skating rink.  The air's OK... sometimes cigarette or pot fumes from the street.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rovatti - I'll have to do it at some point, I like your description of the vibe. Although I was (and still am) terrible at ice skating so that scares me.

SC - just buy old flyknit versions of the zoom fly, you can get them on Amazon for under $100 now depending on size/color

https://www.amazon.com/Nike-Zoom-Flyknit-Mens-Running/dp/B07HKNFQ5X?th=1&psc=1

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Rovatti - I'll have to do it at some point, I like your description of the vibe. Although I was (and still am) terrible at ice skating so that scares me.

SC - just buy old flyknit versions of the zoom fly, you can get them on Amazon for under $100 now depending on size/color

https://www.amazon.com/Nike-Zoom-Flyknit-Mens-Running/dp/B07HKNFQ5X?th=1&psc=1

I got 4 pairs for under $120 ($164 = tax less- $50 nike cash) they are the best shoes to train in for me lately. The react foam is the same foam nike is putting in the infinity.  They are at your local nike outlet for $59.99 less 30%. My GF has been running in them its the only shoe she has been able to do workouts in and not have pain.  So I picked her up two more pairs this weekend and they were only extra 20%. Go to your local Nike outlet store or have some one drop $120 on 3 pairs and ship them to you my store has limited sizes in men mostly 10, 11 and 12s. in men. JMAC you live in city clearance center in queens have even better prices. . Guy with the fast downhill marathon went to clearance outlet got 6 Aeroswift made his own Kipchoge shirt and getting $200 for each shirt on ebay paid $15 for the aeroswift and $15 to get printed in Kings Plaza mall he sold 4 of 6.  That's his plane fare to go back to Big Bear to try for sub 2:20

The moss green with blue, midnight club and black  with volt green all the orange blacks were sold out.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

I got 4 pairs for under $120 ($164 = tax less- $50 nike cash) they are the best shoes to train in for me lately. The react foam is the same foam nike is putting in the infinity.  They are at your local nike outlet for $59.99 less 30%. My GF has been running in them its the only shoe she has been able to do workouts in and not have pain.  So I picked her up two more pairs this weekend and they were only extra 20%. Go to your local Nike outlet store or have some one drop $120 on 3 pairs and ship them to you my store has limited sizes in men mostly 10, 11 and 12s. in men. JMAC you live in city clearance center in queens have even better prices. . Guy with the fast downhill marathon went to clearance outlet got 6 Aeroswift made his own Kipchoge shirt and getting $200 for each shirt on ebay paid $15 for the aeroswift and $15 to get printed in Kings Plaza mall he sold 4 of 6.  That's his plane fare to go back to Big Bear to try for sub 2:20

The moss green with blue, midnight club and black  with volt green all the orange blacks were sold out.

I do not know where you are getting those cheap prices Nimmals - all my Nike outlets around have it for $100+. Seems like, Amazon is the cheapest...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

jayluf

Hi - Getting a bit of a late start here, but happy new year all.

I'm Jason / Jay / jayluf - 37 years old residing in Washington DC. Coming off an injury filled back half of 2019, but the page is turned and am excited about a fun year ahead! Races planned so far for 2020:

Shamrock (VA Beach) half 3/22

Paris marathon 4/5

Fargo marathon 5/9

London 10K 7/5

NYC marathon 11/1

Speed Surplus

"just buy old flyknit versions of the zoom fly, you can get them on Amazon for under $100 now depending on size/color"

Should have mentioned that I hate flyknit. I had a pair of the flyknit zooms and they make my right foot burn when I run fast, because my right foot is a bit smaller than the left, so it slides around a little. I tried thicker socks, etc...

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

jayluf: Good to see you back here. I saw you're planning on Fargo... that's on my radar as I'm looking for a later spring marathon that still has a good chance of being cool. Plus it is wonderfully flat . Have you run it before? Looks nice; I like that it starts and finishes inside the stadium.

Fargo

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

"just buy old flyknit versions of the zoom fly, you can get them on Amazon for under $100 now depending on size/color"

Should have mentioned that I hate flyknit. I had a pair of the flyknit zooms and they make my right foot burn when I run fast, because my right foot is a bit smaller than the left, so it slides around a little. I tried thicker socks, etc...

I identified the problem. Slow down (Pegasus) turbo. Either that or grow bigger feet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

This thread moves fast! No chance I keep up, so sorry if I leave a lot of people out.

Not sure who I'm watching on the 600m video, but everyone looks speedy!!

I don't know if the flyknit's upper is super stretchy, but I've come to hate these "ultra breathable" uppers that stretch too much. I just started running in Saucony Freedom and love everything underfoot, but the upper is too loose and stretchy. A tight turn with minimal speed is a disaster. I thought about telling them to use the Kinvara upper with the Freedom cushion/sole, but I'm unsure if Saucony would listen, haha.

That Fargo elevation profile is impressive.

Got 4 miles in today, again with no calf pain. I did a short pickup at the end to see how it felt and continued to do well. I really need to get better ASAP with 95 days until Boston. I do get a weird sensation occasionally when running and I wonder if it is just getting back to normal because it isn't pain, discomfort, tightness, or anything that makes me think I should stop, but just feels "funny". Anyways, progress seems to be happening.

PT tomorrow. Anyone ever ran on Alter-G?? My PT has a couple and I'm going to try and get some miles in on it if possible.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Marky_Mark_17

Ace Harris - Are you running in the original Freedom or the Freedom 2?  I train almost exclusively in the Freedom and the Kinvara, and I agree that the first Freedom had a pretty minimal upper.  However the Freedom 2 has a significantly improved upper.  I still probably prefer the Kinvara upper, but the Freedom 2 upper is WAY more snug and stable than the Freedom 1.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

AceHarris

Mark: I'm in the freedom 2, but I also can't cinch the lasers super tight over the midfoot because I get numb toes. I can keep it pretty tight around the ankle. I wish the Kinvara had a durable outsole, but I guess that would add too much to the weight.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)