injured toenail - what to pay attention to? (Read 133 times)

as per the title, many thanks!

It depends on the nature of the injury. Did the nail come off? Does it need to come off? Is this a post run/race problem or did you drop something on it?

It depends on the nature of the injury. Did the nail come off? Does it need to come off? Is this a post run/race problem or did you drop something on it?

it didn't come off but got pressed too much so it's got a big purple spot.

it's the big toenail

rhammett

It sounds like you've got a blood blister under the toenail. I get these occasionally and simply use a pin to drain it. Depending on how close to the end of the nail the blister is, I will: 1. stick a pin under the toenail to release the blood and water or 2. heat the pin with a lighter and push it through the nail to drain it from above. Unless the nail is catching on my sock, I tend to leave the nail attached. Once it dries out underneath in a few days/week, I may cut it off entirely though since it will no longer be attached. You may want to keep it attached for aesthetic reasons since it's summer time and there's a higher chance you'll be at the pool or in flip flops/sandals.

It sounds like you've got a blood blister under the toenail. I get these occasionally and simply use a pin to drain it. Depending on how close to the end of the nail the blister is, I will: 1. stick a pin under the toenail to release the blood and water or 2. heat the pin with a lighter and push it through the nail to drain it from above. Unless the nail is catching on my sock, I tend to leave the nail attached. Once it dries out underneath in a few days/week, I may cut it off entirely though since it will no longer be attached. You may want to keep it attached for aesthetic reasons since it's summer time and there's a higher chance you'll be at the pool or in flip flops/sandals.

thanks. do you need to also treat with antifungals?

Denise524

Thanks.

Jeff F

Free Beer

toe nails are for wimps

runnershawn

do nothing and dont look at it.  it will fall off

JimR

I remember toenails

LB2

If it doesn't hurt, I wouldn't do anything.

LB2