metatarsal pain (first metatarsal)...what the heck is going on? (Read 1700 times)

Finished!

Never before have I had such issues with my feet and legs than after I became a "runner" *sigh* Now that I think I have figured out the numb toes, I seem to have developed a pain at the ball of my feet. The pain is primarily on the underside of the foot, towards the joint between the first metatarsal and the proximal phlange. The rest of the metatarsals are fine - and pain free. The pain definitely seems focused on the bottom of my foot.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why is it sideways?

Look up metatarsalgia and see if your symptoms match. If they do (and it sounds like they do from your description), then the most likely cause is that your shoes are too small and/or laced too tight, causing pressure between the metatarsals and inflaming the nerves. I got a bigger shoe with more cushion, massaged it at night (hard--make it hurt) to break up the accumulated crap, and ran right through it. I went up half a shoe size and haven't had a problem since.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why is it sideways?

yeah yeah, Doc, but I still think sesamoiditis... http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=334&topcategory=
        Big grin Plausible theory. We'll see who's right, though it sounds like treatment is pretty similar. It was Terry that gave me my diagnosis...that great running doctor.

Finished!

well, I don;t think it's the shoes - the shoes that I wear all have mickey mouse toeboxes - meaning they are like small boats in front Wink (okay, that may be an exaggeration, but they are more than wide enough for me to wiggle my toes around happily) Hmm. Definitely the pain is focused under the big toe - and definitely increases if I flex the toe upwards. I had thought metatarsalgia was more apt to occur to other metatarsals - not necessarily the first one...
          Walk + Jog = wog.

Why is it sideways?

Dangit. Trent is always right.

Finished!

From the website Trent posted Regarding Treatment for Sesamoistis with my comments - I think I'll be opting for the NSAIDs and ice...I sure hope this isn't my body's attempt at trying to convince me that running isn't for me...course, I vaguely remember all kinds of aches and pains when ran track & field in high school.... *sigh* - Stop the activity causing the pain. (um, if this means I'm supposed to stop running again, I'm going to scream) - Take aspirin or ibuprofen to relieve the pain. (mmm. NSAIDs) - Rest and ice the sole of your feet. Do not apply ice directly to the skin, but use an ice pack or wrap the ice in a towel. (perfect. Thank goodness this happened now while I'll welcome the icing Wink It's over a 100 and the monsoon season has officially arrived) - Wear soft-soled, low-heeled shoes. Stiff-soled shoes like clogs may also be comfortable. (High Heeled shoes are torture devices - I only have soft soled low heeled shoes Smile Ah, the joy of an informal dress code!) - Use a felt cushioning pad to relieve stress. (Um. Does neoprene count? I've got plain flat spenco inserts under my 3/4 length orthotic device) - Return to activity gradually, and continue to wear a cushioning pad of dense foam rubber under the sesamoids to support them. Avoid activities that put your weight on the balls of the feet. (so jumping up and down is not advised, eh?) - Tape the great toe so that it remains bent slightly downward (plantar flexion). (just how does one tape one's toe to have a slight downward slope? I imagine I could apply a piece of tape to the bottom of the toe to force this to occur...but I don't think it would stay there very well, what with the habit of feet to get sweaty....) - Your doctor may recommend an injection of a steroid medication to reduce swelling. (ouch!) - If symptoms persist, you may need to wear a removable short leg fracture brace for 4 to 6 weeks. (eeeeek! I sure as heck hope this isn't required).
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Rather than stop running, have your shoes checked and see a podiatrist about creating a donut pad that will cushion around the inflamed sesamoid bone. Then ice after your runs. The flat spencos may actually be making it worse (you could try to cut a hole where the pain is and let that part hang through the hole).
                btb1490

I just got done dealing with sesamoiditis. Had to stop running for 6 weeks. You don't want to end up breaking that little bone in there, that can really lead to a host of problems. I noticed that you have a 3/4 length orthotic. So did I, and it was probably the cause of my problem. The hard plastic part of the orthotic extended just a little too far forward, and as a result was putting stress on the balls of my feet. My podiatrist just made me a new pair, and the hard plastic part now ends about 1/2 an inch farther behind the metatarsal area. I think a trip to your podiatrist may be a good idea. Good luck!

Finished!

My Podiatrist is going to love me Wink My running orthotics are actually full length - I noticed this morning while I was paying "more" attention to the pain, it definitely seems more painful when I walk barefoot, but I suppose that should be expected. I'm going to switch my "everyday" shoes (the ones I've been wearing with the 3/4 length orthotic) and see if that also provides relief. I ran yesterday and didn't have any issues with the "new" shoes I've been trying - though I am still a little leery of them as I definitely "feel" the orthotic device so they may still be a bit narrow through the midfoot causing the device to slant slightly outward (not good for my flat feet!)
                    Walk + Jog = wog.