On an Injury... (Read 150 times)

InkOnTheSoul

Dear All,

I recently got back into running after a little break (best decision ever, btw!), but shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with a strained tendon and a benign tumor on my fibula. My doctors aren't quite sure exactly what they will allow me to do yet, or how I will be treated, but the consensus is, of course, that I not run on it now. Any suggestions for general exercises? I don't really know where to start looking, other than swimming (which I've started doing twice a week). What has worked for you?

an amazing likeness

Sorry to hear of your injuries...

For me, I've found there's nothing I can to which will preserve running fitness while trying to heal leg injuries (hamstring, calf tear, tendonitis, etc). I find elliptical workouts are great at keeping and building aerobic capacity.  Then I add walking (treadmill at first, if needed) to get lower legs re-started without triggering the forefoot pounding that can lead to anterior tendonitis.  Then add back the jogging.

tl;dr version: elliptical (or arc trainer) keeps and builds aerobic. Core strength stuff. Then build back with walking before running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You could try deep water running. There shouldn't be any stress on the fibula. The trick for this to work is dealing with the extremem boredom, and you really have to push yourself in interval like fashion to maintain your fitness. You'll still likely lose some fitness, but you may find that this strengthens your quads and hip flexors more than land running.

Here's a good article to get you going:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/nine-week-plan-staying-shape-while-injured

joescott

The trick for this to work is dealing with the extremem boredom, 

Truer words were never uttered.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Truer words were never uttered.

spoken like someone that also has experience with this :-)

joescott

Sadly, Tom, you know dat's right, and recently, too.  I nearly got hypothermia several times sticking it out with W in the outdoor pool *late* into September to give him some company at this Dantean punishment called "deep water running" while he was out of commission.  The things we do for the love of our kids!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Still kicking

I've used my old Fashioned Nordic Track Skier to get through injuries for over 30 years. Probably the most underrated totally forgotten about exercise equipment there is today. It was all the rage 30 years ago, and people stood in line in the gyms to use them. Then along came the fancy stair steppers and ellipticals, and the Nordic Track skier's days were over. Over $500 in their prime, today they can be found on Craigslist for $20. I've bridged long gaps in running, while healing and using my Nordic track. Works running specific muscles without the beating. And when I've gotten back to running, the transition has been smooth and fast, with minimal lost fitness. The Nordic Track takes a certain level of coordination to use, and is a good hard workout. So naturally, the easier to use, and wussy ass workouts of the ellipticals and stair steppers appeal more to the masses.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

InkOnTheSoul

Dean,

Oh wow I hadn't even considered that! I'll definitely check into that one. Thanks!

kilkee

runktrun

You could try deep water running. There shouldn't be any stress on the fibula. The trick for this to work is dealing with the extremem boredom, and you really have to push yourself in interval like fashion to maintain your fitness. You'll still likely lose some fitness, but you may find that this strengthens your quads and hip flexors more than land running.

^ That, but be careful with your form.  I pool-ran a couple days a week for 3 weeks to give my arthritic knee a break, and ended up straining my hamstrings (guess slightly different form and change in resistance of water vs land...).

I've also had good luck with high intensity intervals on a stationary bike.  Try to get a HR monitor and see how high you can get your HR relative to running HR.  I'm lucky if I can crack the 140s on a bike before I feel like I'm gonna die, and I do a mixture of longer intervals tempo effort), high resistance in the saddle and high resistance standing in the pedals (hills), and that seems to hold over some fitness.

But again, it comes down to battling boredom.  Turn intervals into a game and just do whatever keeps you on the bike longest.

As for the tumor - I too was diagnosed with a benign tumor in my tibia while I was in college.  Never figured out why it popped up or why/how it went away.  It was in the marrow and pushing out on the cortex of the bone.  I took 2 months off and cross trained with no specific fitness goals.  Leading up to it, I was in neutral shoes when I should have been in light stability shoes and I was running more reps and short intervals than I run now.  Seems like foot strike, dissipation of forces and frequency of these high forces triggered the growth.  Here's hoping you get some answers and get back at it soon.  Don't hesitate to keep asking your doctor(s) questions if you're not satisfied with their explanations.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

InkOnTheSoul

Kilkee,

You said you thought a light stability shoe would have worked for you better. Do you have any suggestions? I've been back and forth about what kind of shoes I should get next- mine are old now anyway. Also, any cross training exercises that seemed to stand out to you?

Anybody else who has had success with a particular shoe- comments are appreciated!

kilkee

runktrun

I went from an off-the-shelf Nike and the Mizuno Rider (back in 2002-2004) to the Mizuno Nirvana (high end stability) then down to the Mizuno Inspire (one of the lightest stability shoes, from 2005 to present).  I definitely recommend going to a specialty running shop and getting evaluated for a proper fit.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.