Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Okay, Nader. Let me ask you this straight up. Why, when I brought up the the issue of the attack on science perpetrated by fundamentalist Christianity, did you choose to defend Christianity? Why not use your Christian identity to condemn those in your faith tradition who spread ignorance by mandating the teaching of intelligent design and pretending that the genesis account of the origins of life is somehow on the same scientific standing as evolutionary theory?

Yes, I know that devout Catholics can support gay marriage. I am married to one who does. I support Christianity so long as it does not attack methods of intelligence or preach intolerance. When it (or any other institution or religion) does these things, I condemn it, because I believe in the methods of scientific intelligence and a long democratic tradition of honoring love between people.

Jeff, I really and truly and not sneakily or ascancily was recommending the book to cagery because I wanted him to consider its thesis. He seemed a bit defensive (sorry cagery) and wanted to show him that the "sides" and "teams" and "world views" are not black and white.  When I said "on that" I meant "also." 

I can absolutely see how, without the right transition, it seemed like I was replying or rebutting your post. 

I don't like talking about myself, but since you asked a fair question: I actually work with college-age youth and have actually discussed the subject of evolution and the work of Christian evolutionary biologists.  In that sense I do use my Christian identity. This is a funny position for me, because I am often prevailed upon by parents to "clear up" things with their kids who are asking questions about "Darwin and that stuff."

MTA: I also use my Christian identity to influence people against being unkind and disrespectful to gay people, which in an Arabic culture (also part of my identity) puts me in an interesting position. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

and DNA and running.

but Poptarts still taste awful!

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, I really and truly and not sneakily or ascancily was recommending the book to cagery because I wanted him to consider its thesis. He seemed a bit defensive (sorry cagery) and wanted to show him that the "sides" and "teams" and "world views" are not black and white.  When I said "on that" I meant "also." 

I can absolutely see how, without the right transition, it seemed like I was replying or rebutting your post. 

I don't like talking about myself, but since you asked a fair question: I actually work with college-age youth and have actually discussed the subject of evolution and the work of Christian evolutionary biologists.  This is a funny position for me, because I am often prevailed upon by parents to "clear up" things with their kids who are asking questions about "Darwin and that stuff."

Dammit! Now what do I do with all this self-righteous energy!

Non ducor, duco.

Damnit. What happened here? I thought you guys never left the swamp. 

Dammit! Now what do I do with all this self-righteous energy!

I have a huge dose here in my tiger blood if you want to OD.

Take a snippet out of context, fashion it into a pretty straw man, and go to town?

(Aside: why is it everything sounds dirty to me today?)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why is it sideways?

Take a snippet out of context, fashion it into a pretty straw man, and go to town?

(Aside: why is it everything sounds dirty to me today?)

Ewww. And ha.

Because your avatar is a dog with an exposed penis?

xor

Because your avatar is a dog with an exposed penis?

There is an unexplored market for dogerwear.

Only some dogs can get away with wearing boxers.

Non ducor, duco.

I think if you are dedicated to being a home schooler, go for it. I don't think it is appropriate for high schoolers. High school is about learning to be a social human being, not being able to carry on a political conversation with an older adult. It isn't about being mature, it is about being immature before you have to grow up and be an adult.

You are 1. What can you possibly know about this?

runjanerun

I somehow did not see my thread going past a page and a couple messages.

Yet, I look back and do see a small reference to religion and mentioning homeschooling at all (though asking timing of personal hobbies and not virtues/vices of it) and must question my niavete.

Thanks for all the help!

Why is it sideways?

Yet, I look back and do see a small reference to religion and mentioning homeschooling at all (though asking timing of personal hobbies and not virtues/vices of it) and must question my niavete.

Thanks for all the help!

Hold the presses! A thread did not stay on topic!

Non ducor, duco.

Thanks for all the help!

Don't ever ask a question here that you want an answer to. (see that, everyone?)  Well, that is unless you are asking the granddaddymasterpoohbahallknowingallseeing Eric. 

I think if you are dedicated to being a home schooler, go for it. I don't think it is appropriate for high schoolers. High school is about learning to be a social human being, not being able to carry on a political conversation with an older adult. It isn't about being mature, it is about being immature before you have to grow up and be an adult.

Numerous studies show that homeschooled children are actually better socialized than public school kids.  I mean really, how often in life do you work or hang out with 30 other people just about exactly your same age.  Doesn't happen.  Maturity in males (as studied) seems to be creeping further and further out.  George Washington was surveying and running war parties long before he got out of his teens...now your lucky if you can get a male to do something other than 'hang out' before 28.  (okay...I am over generalizing)...and George was homeschooled.

You were recommending a book to me??  totally missed that one.  Sorry - I am narrow minded and am not open to new ideas.  Being a high 'D' on the DiSC means everything is black and white and I am too old to change now...