Once Upon a Time, I Got Frostbite On My Butt This Morning (Read 261 times)

Did my 8 mile long run on Saturday morning, and it was pretty cold and windy (-6F with the wind chill).  Apparently I should have worn two layers of pants because I managed to get "frostnip" on my butt and thighs.  My fingers and toes were fine, but my well-padded rear end apparently couldn't handle it.

I'm thinking of changing my screen name to Frostbutt.

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.

xhristopher

Ouch! But(t) I'm confused... Is it once upon a time or this morning?

TJoseph

Does that require amputation?

#artbydmcbride

So you can freeze your butt off!  Will skinny jeans fit better?  #thebrightside

Runners run

Latent Runner

While I would believe a chilly bum was the result of the run, I rather suspect the term "Frostbite" was used simply to stress the point.  Said another way, if frostbite had actually occurred during the run, it would probably have only happened if the runner had been bare-bummed and running backwards into a driving sleet storm followed by a dramatic drop in temperatures.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Said another way, if frostbite had actually occurred during the run, it would probably have only happened if the runner had been bare-bummed and running backwards into a driving sleet storm followed by a dramatic drop in temperatures.  Smile

How did you guess? Smile

The painful red patches worried me a bit, but Wikipedia diagnosed me with first degree frostbite ("frostnip"), which doesn't cause permanent damage.  Unfortunately, my butt will not have to be amputated.  I'll keep having to work at fitting into skinny jeans.

~Kate

Latent Runner

How did you guess? Smile

The painful red patches worried me a bit, but Wikipedia diagnosed me with first degree frostbite ("frostnip"), which doesn't cause permanent damage.  Unfortunately, my butt will not have to be amputated.  I'll keep having to work at fitting into skinny jeans.

My chubs exhibit those painful red patches after pretty much every run; fortunately the running is doing its job and causing said chubby areas to diminish on a fairly rapid basis.  I've had frost bite and it sucketh much; some skin redness due to less blood flow under certain patches of skin really aren't anything to worry about.  Smile

As for how to prevent the cheekers from getting that red again, I recommend wearing a double layer of alpaca undies; ooooh comfy.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Rosey Cheeks might be a better screename Blush

You ran in -6 windchill without an extra layer?  That's hardcore.

As for how to prevent the cheekers from getting that red again, I recommend wearing a double layer of alpaca undies; ooooh comfy.  Smile

Wait, is there really such a thing?  I've seen socks and legwarmers, but undies?  Sounds cozy.

~Kate

Latent Runner

Wait, is there really such a thing?  I've seen socks and legwarmers, but undies?  Sounds cozy.

My suggestion started out as a joke, but your question got me to wondering...

Here's the closest thing I've found: http://purelyalpaca.com/product_info.php?products_id=810

Fat old man PRs:

You ran in -6 windchill without an extra layer?  That's hardcore.

I'd like to think I'm hardcore, but I'm pretty sure I'm just stupid.  I did wear two shirts and a pullover, so my top half was pretty toasty.  I guess I figured my chubby bottom half was already well enough insulated. Smile

My suggestion started out as a joke, but your question got me to wondering...

Here's the closest thing I've found: http://purelyalpaca.com/product_info.php?products_id=810

Alpaca long johns!!  I love how they're advertised as a great base layer for motorcyclists.  Alas, they only have LG and XL!

I found a pair of merino wool activewear tights over the weekend, and drooled over them until I saw the price tag.

~Kate

Oh roo roooo!

Bakerkate, I have that same problem w/my butt getting way colder than any other part, and believe me, it is NOT for lack of "biologic insulation"!  Pretty darn unpleasant, isn't it?  My feet can be wet and still stay warm but my hinder is freezing even though it's dry and protected from the wind.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Bakerkate, I have that same problem w/my butt getting way colder than any other part, and believe me, it is NOT for lack of "biologic insulation"!  Pretty darn unpleasant, isn't it?  My feet can be wet and still stay warm but my hinder is freezing even though it's dry and protected from the wind.

First glance saw "whiny butt."  Not saying any of you are whiny butts. Smile

Latent Runner

In the case of my (not quite as) overweight body (as it used to be), it is the places where I also have no "lack of biologic insulation" where I get the red patches.  As I understand it, the blood flow in those areas is thin and slow compared to the leaner areas of my body.

Fat old man PRs:

Feeling the growl again

As I understand it, the blood flow in those areas is thin and slow compared to the leaner areas of my body.

As a biologist...yes, largely, true.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills