2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

If I’d stopped my watch at 26.22 during my last race (track marathon) it would’ve been a 2min PR!  Unfortunately it would also have been a DQ for failing to complete the final 7 or so laps.

Only if you also stopped running. And even then it would have been a DNF, not a DQ.

Runners run

Do those people who run virtual marathons stop their watch at EXACTLY 26.2 miles?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me... 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me... 

If only there’d been virtual marathons back in 2009. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

delicate flower

Well Monday's weather for what would have been Marathon Monday Redux says 75 degrees with a 60 dew point at 11:00 AM.  So I guess we got lucky to not have to run in that?

<3

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Taking the refund. Even if the race is run, the idea of running in the 2nd weekend in September is not appealing, including your most intense training occurring in July and August. The average temperature is 15 degrees warmer race day too. No thanks.

Exactly why I took the refund back then. You were never going to get a nice day in September to run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Beautiful day for a marathon in Boston with morning temperatures in the 50s.  So many people on my Strava feed ran their virtual Bostons today.

delicate flower

3:17:45 checking in.  Hit my goal of running a BQ that won't count, and I ran just hard enough to do it.  I felt no need to run any harder.

Can confirm beautiful weather this morning.  48 degrees at the start of my run.  I never get that lucky for an actual marathon.  My last two were 80+ and 75, both with humidity.  Both BQ's too as luck would have it.

<3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

3:17:45 checking in.  Hit my goal of running a BQ that won't count, and I ran just hard enough to do it.  I felt no need to run any harder.

Can confirm beautiful weather this morning.  48 degrees at the start of my run.  I never get that lucky for an actual marathon.  My last two were 80+ and 75, both with humidity.  Both BQ's too as luck would have it.

Congrats anyway.  Impressive.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Congratulations. The west coast is burning and even in unhealthy air a local got his Boston ran.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Anonymous Guest

Got mine done last Sunday. It was actually kinds fun. Started quiet (I started at 4:40 am to avoid heat), sun came up about halfway through. Neighbors and friends also started coming out about that time. One neighbor ran a couple laps with me, a few were out with signs, quite a few cowbells, a friend drove over and ran about 4 miles with me, another neighbor ran a lap. I was resigned ahead of time to walking it in because of Houston heat and humidity, but ended up negative splitting. All the people helped me speed up the second half.

I did it as a last long run for my marathon in two weeks, so didn't push the pace at all. Finished in 4:20. And even though I know it doesn't matter at all, I'm annoyed by the people I see submitting their times not including any stops. People stopping for 20-40 minutes in breaks along the way and then just submitting the running time. Those breaks where you stopped your watch count too, you know. Okay, I'm over it. Because it doesn't matter.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

The west coast is burning and even in unhealthy air a local got his Boston ran.

Probably not the best idea.

Dave

Julia1971

Got mine done last Sunday. It was actually kinds fun. Started quiet (I started at 4:40 am to avoid heat), sun came up about halfway through. Neighbors and friends also started coming out about that time. One neighbor ran a couple laps with me, a few were out with signs, quite a few cowbells, a friend drove over and ran about 4 miles with me, another neighbor ran a lap. I was resigned ahead of time to walking it in because of Houston heat and humidity, but ended up negative splitting. All the people helped me speed up the second half.

I did it as a last long run for my marathon in two weeks, so didn't push the pace at all. Finished in 4:20. And even though I know it doesn't matter at all, I'm annoyed by the people I see submitting their times not including any stops. People stopping for 20-40 minutes in breaks along the way and then just submitting the running time. Those breaks where you stopped your watch count too, you know. Okay, I'm over it. Because it doesn't matter.

I was looking at the leaderboard yesterday and said to myself, "Derek Murphy, do your thing."  Smile

I ultimately decided NOT to run.  I realized the only reason I was thinking about doing it now was FOMO.   I ran my virtual event back in April.  That was my virtual Boston.  (A friend told me there's a group petitioning the BAA to allow April times to count.  If I were them I would say "No" but I thought it was interesting.)

Resident Historian

Probably not the best idea.

Depends when they ran. AQI has been extremely variable in locations not directly affected by smoke. For me in SoCal, the range over the last few days has been from 25 (good) to (briefly) 155 (bordeline Unhealthy/Unhealthy for sensitive groups). 

Early in the week, Las Vegas was in a heavy red haze, the next day, clear.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

delicate flower

Nice job on your run!!  I'm slightly annoyed at that same thing.  I usually stop for 10 minutes or so during my long runs for fuel and water, but I treated yesterday like an actual marathon and ran it non-stop like you're supposed to.  I think BAA should pull "elapsed time" and not "moving time" for official times.  Not that it really matters anyway.

<3

Depends when they ran. AQI has been extremely variable in locations not directly affected by smoke. For me in SoCal, the range over the last few days has been from 25 (good) to (briefly) 155 (bordeline Unhealthy/Unhealthy for sensitive groups). 

Early in the week, Las Vegas was in a heavy red haze, the next day, clear.

Well yes, I know all that, but he said it was run in unhealthy air.

Dave