Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I want a step by step analysis about how a runner gets his or her times down to break a time goal.

I hope your time trial was a success today. 

I won't break my training down but it's available in my log. FWIW I've never run a mile race. I just haven't had the chance.

Two separate time trials a year ago had 6:36 and 6:24 on early marathon training while returning from a layoff.

A month ago I ran a 5k with an opening mile of 5:38. I never would have imagined that I could run a single mile that fast, let alone in a 5k. (I did NOT maintain that pace).

I think the factors are multiple, distance, sustained tempos AND intervals 200's to 1k at a pace that was faster than goal. That was the real confidence builder. Also some pickups and strides in many easy and long runs.

It's not magic. Just perseverance. And realize, it's gonna burn

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Why is it sideways?

I will join you on your quest today, Flyer. I believe that if I get my head right I can break 6 minutes for the mile This Evening! I agree that high mileage isn't necessary. I've been running no more than 200 miles a month for a while now.

Wish me luck! It's going to be tough!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good luck Jeff!   Or at least, no bad luck.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, Perry!

Slow-smooth-fast

Hey Michigan, I am gonna subscribe to this. I have done a bit of mileage lately but no speed work, will do a time trial this week after a few mile warm up and take it from there. I will struggle I know.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I'd be happy to join, but I am at a point where I can run under 6 no problem these days.

Now if someone wants to make a sub-5 thread/challenge...

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I can view one or two youtube videos that show runners running a 6 minute mile.

The pace doesn't look that fast but it is surprising how difficult it is (for me) to run at a 10 MPH pace for 6 minutes.

6 minutes is actually a long time to run at a brisk pace. Time seems to slow down when running hard.

I got out to the track today. Ran 1.6 miles warmup and felt quite nervous wondering if I would be able to calm my nerves and run hard the entire time without blowing up or going too conservatively.

I ran a warmup lap with my videocamera in hand and realized it was too bouncy to be of any value.

Then I set it up in the bleachers and found out that would not be any good for onlookers to view either.

I had a couple runners on the track but they were not using the inside lane so I had my chance to run the trial.

On the start the wind was with me...and at 200 meters it would be in my face. But not that strong a wind. I wanted under 6:30 so let's see what happens. I was a little worried as I ran a 52 second half lap in warmup that seemed fast. That would be almost 7 minute pace.

I measured 30.5 feet past the 4 lap mark so I could get an official mile in on my 4th and final lap. That  was the finish line.

I was starting at the end of the straightaway so I would start by heading into the 1st curve.

I took off at a brisk but what felt conservative pace. At a half lap I looked down to see 48-49 seconds give or take.

I have run only 5k races (about 50 of them) so it is going to be difficult to find my mile pace. I was worried I was going to automatically run a 5k effort the rest of the way so I tried to put a little more into my effort.

I hit one lap and hit the split... 1:36.89

I wanted to quit. This is horrible I thought.

I have to bang out 3 more laps like that and be lucky to get a 6:30 or 6:40.

But I thought of this thread and realized I would be booed for giving up.

Just finish this stupid thing and get an outdoor time to work with.

I ran the next 200 meters in around 48 seconds so I was not losing any speed.

Thankfully these laps were seeming pretty short and quick. Not like the treadmill 1/4 mile eternities.

I hit the 800 meter mark and saw 3:15 on my watch.

Right what I wanted. I just need to run the second half at the same pace as the 1st and I had my 6:30.

My goal was to run the 3rd lap with more concentration because this would be the tough one.

I tried but it didn't feel like I had alot of energy. I was starting to tire.

I headed towards the 1000 meter mark and felt good but could not find another gear.

My thoughts were already shifting to the final lap where I imagined it would be easier.

I hit the 1200 meter mark and saw my time was 4:50.

I mistakenly thought I was 5 seconds behind 6:30 pace now because I could not add on the fly.

I was thinking 6:30 will be tough now but was incorrect in my math thank God.

With 200 meters to go I must have been around 5:35. I was glancing at my watch trying to see how far from the finish I would be at 6 minutes. I added some speed. At 6 minutes I was still not even to the straightaway but pretty close.

I hit the straightaway around 6:04. I knew 6:30 was beaten ...was there a chance at 6:20?

I raced through the finish line at my fastest gait yet and my final mile time clocked 6:23.43

The final 9.3 meters took 2.1 seconds to run just for kicks.

I was happy with that time.

My half mile was 3:16 and 2nd half mile was 3:07 a nice negative split.

I was not completely out of gas so this was a good sign.

Lap splits

1:37

1:38

1:35

1:31

0:02

This seems to prove I need to run more miles as posters have been suggesting.

23.43 seconds is a ways off but I believe I can find 5-6 seconds just by trying this again with more knowledge how to mentally run the track.

It is not going to be as easy as I believed. 6 minutes is the new gorilla on my back. It will be a pleasure to try and knock it off.

Aug. 1.... 8:11

Aug. 4.....6:57

Aug. 8.... 6:37

Aug. 15...6:28

Aug. 28...6:19

Sept. 5...6:23.43 .....TRACK

Hey Michigan, I am gonna subscribe to this. I have done a bit of mileage lately but no speed work, will do a time trial this week after a few mile warm up and take it from there. I will struggle I know.

Great! As you can see I am still a way from my goal so I plan on being on this thread for at least another 4-6 weeks before I am close enough to put it away.

Shady Fellow

Shady Fellow®

Do we really need reference date (sic) to support the hypothesis that some training is required to achieve a noteworthy performance?

Hi Mikey,

This thread is about Michigan pursuing a short term personal goal with very light training.  He is the Ringmaster.  I do not think his program would work well for me, but I applaud his decision to challenge a sacred conventional wisdom.  And Mike, I remain unconvinced that it is necessary to log 200+ miles a month (like you) to be considered a runner.  Or to train like an elite in order to achieve any meaningful results in this game. 

__
                      Shady Fellow®

Please note: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I will join you on your quest today, Flyer. I believe that if I get my head right I can break 6 minutes for the mile This Evening! I agree that high mileage isn't necessary. I've been running no more than 200 miles a month for a while now.

Ok, this guilted me into it. I'll take a shot as well.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... that it is necessary to log 200+ miles a month ... to be considered a runner...

That seems a pretty silly hypothesis. Is that serious, or are you just inventing a strawman to poke at?

This thread is about Michigan pursuing a short term personal goal with very light training.  He is the Ringmaster.  I do not think his program would work well for me, but I applaud his decision to challenge a sacred conventional wisdom.  And Mike, I remain unconvinced that it is necessary to log 200+ miles a month (like you) to be considered a runner.  Or to train like an elite in order to achieve any meaningful results in this game. 

I agree with all of this except the part where Mich is challenging a sacred conventional wisdom.

Runners run

Damn!  I wish I had known today was the day to give it a shot.  I've already put my miles in today (9) and I'm getting close to hitting Mich's weekly mileage and certainly wouldn't want to exceed it in one day.  Perhaps tomorrow I can give it the old college try at the end of a tempo run.  

This will be hard I know, but in the spirit of doing absolutely nothing to prepare or train to perform well at a specific distance, I think it is an effort on par with the spirit of this thread.

Also, eric Smile is the Ringmaster.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus