Hattori vs Kinvara- winter running (Read 1270 times)

Lately I've been running only in my Saucony Hattoris, but with the winter weather I'm afraid of slipping in them.  Would it be a good idea for me to invest in a pair of Kinvaras as well (so I can use my yaktrax with them).  I've ran outdoors the last 3 winters but this is my first in 'minimalist' shoes.  Also, I cannot run in regular trainers as it seems my runner's knee acts up when I do that.  

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

Bacon Party!

I own (among many other shoes) both Hattoris and Kinvaras... Apple vs. Orangutan

If you've become accustomed to the Hattoris, the Kinvaras will likely seem foreign. (On me, I end up in debilitating pain [until I remove them].)

I suggest you first try the Hattoris with the Yaktrax. If that doesn't work for you, then consider moving to "more" shoe.

That said... I live in Michigan. Last year - when we had more than our usual share of snow and nastiness - I used my Yaktrax maybe twice on daily road runs. (And, definitely, two other times on snow-covered trails.) Otherwise, I found it a GREAT opportunity to practice good form. If I hit a patch of ice and slipped, then I was running wrong - either pushing off or committing some other sin.

FWIW - this winter, my Yaktrax platform will be the New Balance Minimus Trail WT20 (or MT20). It's a fairly low riding minimal shoe with enough of a rock plate to make what I think will be a great platform for Yaktrax or microspikes. It's a 4mm drop shoe; but, much with more in common with Hattoris than the Kinvaras. (Flexible, but protective; roomy toe box; low to the ground, etc.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Thanks, I was hoping for a response from someone who's worn both.  Guess I'll try the Yaktrax on the Hattoris.  I was thinking I may have an old pair of AdiZeros somewhere, I could probably use those when we get snow.  

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

Marquess of Utopia

You could try using shoe glue to attach metal studs to the hattori.