Knee hamstring pain (Read 31 times)

Julpal

Hello everyone. I have been training since December and maybe started running too much (50 miles a week). For about a month  I had been feeling just a little tightness and a slight sharp crampy pain kind of behind/side knee but going up a little bit into my thigh/ lateral side of knee area. For about a month I could easily run through this and the pain would actually go away while I was running. But now I cannot run on it at all. Whenirun the pain is sharp and I limp. Walking is fine I will feel it here and there but not a big deal. I just don’t think it’s a big enough deal at this point to go see a doctor especially with everything that’s going on right now. Does anyone have any advice on how to treat this at home? Any words of wisdom? I have pretty much ruled out ITB stuff and I’m thinking it might be a hamstring strain. Thank you for any advice.

an amazing likeness

What you describe sounds like classic symptoms of ITB issues...so I'd encourage you to reconsider eliminating that. Foam rolling, ice and rest are the proven approach to resolution.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Julpal

Yes I considered that but from talking to others that have had it and reading about it it seems that it is a very specific pain and a very specific spot right on the side of the knee. I don’t actually have any pain right there on the bump of the knee. It is more kind of behind that and up a little bit.

an amazing likeness

That's not been my personal experience with ITB issues -- that the pain is isolated to that bump on the outside of the knee...

I'm sure other, more authoritative folks here will offer alternatives.

(in the meantime look around in the past history here for a topic titled something along the lines of "Knee pain, does it get better?" for some shared insights from yesteryear...)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

This is what I would if it were my knee/hammy. You may have a distal hammy tendon issue.  Don't ice, don't overstretch and don't grind on it. Firstly, it appears running caused and running irritates it. You pushed through not allowing proper healing. Now you have to be serious. At this point running is a no no until pain free and then a gradual approach coming back.However, movement is so key. Can you walk, bike, elliptical without further irritation? If so, do this often but don't overstress area....use your brain, no additional pain. Also, put a strong focus on building your running body. Go to work on your hips and glutes with strength and mobility work and work your way down the kinetic chain. Make the commitment to exercises, strength and mobility movements again doing no further harm. This is what I call the SMART approach and it turns your body back into a more efficient healing machine which it already is but we do things to disrupt our natural healing response i.e. Icing, NSAIDS, complete rest etc. The goal is to get healed and be resistant to further injury. This should be the focus vs just treating symptoms. You should notice weekly progress with this approach. If you notice no progress within 2-3 weeks of this approach then you would need further work up by a professional. Coax the body to heal.  Keep us updated.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com