AHHHH...the next race. (Read 516 times)

The motivational power of signing up for the next race cannot be underestimated. Since the new year I've been running without any clear goals. Just getting out there and running because I know I should be. I kind of had some ideas of what races I wanted to run but nothing was definite. Well I finally sat down over the weekend and looked at the calendar,potential race dates, work/family schedules and I'm 100% sure I can commit myself to a Labor Day marathon and the training needed to prepare. I've decided on a modifed Higdon training plan and I'll "officially" kick it off on 4/28. I'm pretty much going to treat this marathon like my first since my Chicago experience was atypical. I'm excited!!!...again.
      Very cool... you're right that nothing motivates quite like having a specific race to prepare for. Good luck.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

My legs are killing me

For me a specific goal or race is a must. I was training for a 1/2 marathon and ran it a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any races planned right now and this week my motavation is shot. It sucks and now I have to get my lazy butt back in the swing of things. Good luck on the training.
        HOSS1961

I have pretty much mapped my races through the year. As a matter of fact I have a 15k this Saturday, a 10k a month from now and start marathon team training 2 weeks after that. Summer looks like (besides marathon traing team) a 5k series in July, 1/2 mary in August and September, November marathon, then my last race (probrobly) will be a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot. I have found that the racing keeps me focused, tells me how my training is going, and motivates me to compete against the clock. All races are good, inmy opinion, because they teach me something in one way or another.
          HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured