2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

You skipped over all the DNFs and DNSs from Bekele! In the last TEN years, Bekele has won exactly 2 major races. Kipchoge has won 10(!) major races, plus his sub 2:00 time trial. That is longevity. Not that you won a bunch of races 20 years ago and then exactly 2 over the last ten years.

I totally agree, Kipchoge is dominant at the marathon, the best there ever was - no question about it! I'm just saying, Kenny was the best ever at XC and arguably the best on the track, and was as dominant in those disciplines as Kipchoge is at the marathon. I think it's important to keep that in mind, and just give respect where it's due.

Can we at least enthusiastically agree that Mo is not the GOAT? 

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Can we at least enthusiastically agree that Mo is not the GOAT? 

Mo who? 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'll fess up - I prefer "greatest of their era" to "greatest of all time" (even though the former isn't a cool acronym).  I just don't think it's possible to compare between eras.  Not just because of carbon plated shoes but because of nutrition, knowledge of running, and the simple fact that it's easier to run a time when you know others have already done it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For me the best moment in the men’s marathon was the race for silver and bronze with Abdi Nageeye constantly looking back and urging his training partner Bashir Abdi on for bronze which was very heart warming as I don’t think he’d have made it without that encouragement! They’re both coached by Gary Lough (Paula Radcliffe’s husband) along with Mo who? 😜

DW - I watched the modern pentathlon for the first time which was entertaining and intriguing, especially the show jumping event with riders only being given 20min to bond with an unfamiliar horse!  Seeing the German girl have a meltdown when her horse refused to jump was hard to watch and I’m guessing it was her fault as the stress/tension in her body would’ve been felt by the horse!  Anyway, good to see that GB won the gold. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For me the best moment in the men’s marathon was the race for silver and bronze with Abdi Nageeye constantly looking back and urging his training partner Bashir Abdi on for bronze which was very heart warming as I don’t think he’d have made it without that encouragement! They’re both coached by Gary Lough (Paula Radcliffe’s husband) along with Mo who? 😜

DW - I watched the modern pentathlon for the first time which was entertaining and intriguing, especially the show jumping event with riders only being given 20min to bond with an unfamiliar horse!  Seeing the German girl have a meltdown when her horse refused to jump was hard to watch and I’m guessing it was her fault as the stress/tension in her body would’ve been felt by the horse!  Anyway, good to see that GB won the gold. 😁

Agreed that the Abdix2 finish was amazing.

Re: Modern Pentathlon - I really wish they'd remove the horse riding from it.  Honestly, riding an unfamiliar horse over a course of moderately sized jumps is not that hard - swapping horses is one of the traditional equitation tests, and in the intercollegiate system riders draw strange horses and get NO chance to get familiar.  You get on, check the length of your stirrups, and go.

(yes, when you get up to the highest levels of riding, it's really hard to ride on an unfamiliar horse.  But that's not the level of course these guys were jumping).

The pentathletes, on a whole, are simply awful, incompetent riders.  This isn't like triathlon, where a world class triathlete is not quite as good as a world class stand alone runner/swimmer/cyclist.  These guys are the equivalent of a mid-packer at your local park-run.  They are really that bad (with a few exceptions).

It's understandable, because riding is a sport that takes years of riding multiple horses a day to develop the ability fully.  And they simply don't have time to train adequately for riding and for four other sports.  But if you're a bad swimmer in a race that's out of your league, you're not hurting anyone else.  If you're a bad rider jumping a course that is out of your league, you're hurting a horse.

I agree that the German woman's meltdown was mostly the cause of her issues.  The horse had previously had a bad rider, and so was not enthusiastic about things at the start.   But there are literally over 500 kids in the US that could have gotten that horse around that course.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Was out of town for an extended weekend with the inlaws; spent several hours fishing on a kayak, not much time on the internet. 

flavio:  Oof, that sounds like a rough week.  If I remember correctly, you had said you were going to get your blood pressure rechecked in a few days.  Did you do that, and has it returned to normal?  Anyhow, hope this week is a better one for you.

JT:  Your return to training has been quick and impressive.

cal:  Nice week, your 2 x 3M was faster than mine even though your legs weren't working properly.

Dwave:  Good luck with the MRI; hope you get some answers.  Glad to hear the Lialda seems to be helping.

jhudak:  Nice week...impressive long run w/MP!

JMac:  No advice from me on the black toenail, but looking forward to following your training for CIM.

RP:  Sorry to hear about the horrible air quality, hopefully some relief comes soon.

Mikkey:  I agree with the awesomeness of the race for silver and bronze in the men's marathon.  I just watched it last night (recorded everything over the weekend).  I knew who won, but wasn't aware of the race for 2nd/3rd.

My week...

S:  5.3M @ 8:29

M:  11.5M @ 7:45 w/15min progression (6:53)

T:  8.8M @ 7:56

W:  7.8M @ 7:39, 3 x 1600m, 3 x 200m.  The 1600s were slow (6:39 average), probably because Monday's fast finish was too fast.  I fell apart pretty quickly.

T:  6.7M @ 8:53 Trail Run

F:  Rest  (Kayak fishing round 1)

S:  12.5M @ 8:23

Total:  52.6

Also - I've already got a black toenail (first time ever on my big toenail, usually it's another toe). This one is also really painful walking around. Seems like you could go to a podiatrist to get it drained and relieve the pain, but usually this goes away in a day or two, so let's hope that's the case otherwise running is going to be very tough! I'll take any tips folks have who have dealt with this before to minimize pain.

JMac: I got so caught up in our Bekele debate I missed commenting on your weekly! Good to have you posting and getting back into marathon training. I can give you my experience on the black toenail, since I have been in a cycle of these on mostly my left big toe for what seems like several years. Often they don't hurt when they first appear and turn black, but the most recent one I had did hurt a fair amount, and I was able to poke it with a needle just under the front of the nail. It was easy to get to the blister part since it was pushing the nail up (probably that was why it hurt). I have also heated a needle in a flame and then melted a hole through the top of the nail to puncture the blister that way (I read that in the Beginning Runners Handbook). Sounds brutal but it was actually relatively pain-free and the hot needle goes right through your toenail. I'm curious if your toenail will have the same fate as almost all of mine do after turning black; they eventually fall off and a new one grows in. I'm currently sans big toenail on my left foot. When it comes off it's a good opportunity to really gross out your wife by presenting it to her. 

OMR: Looks like you got some good workouts in and hopefully had some relaxation over the weekend.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - that's okay, I know how passionate you are about your T&F! I feel like me seeing Kipchoge is the best ever is like when I hear people talk about Kobe Bryant being a top 5 basketball player of all time.

Anyway, I've lost a few smaller toenails before, but this one is the first time it's been really painful the next day. Usually these things only hurt if you stub them, but this I can barely run on. I got through a short recovery run yesterday, but then by nighttime it was even worse than before. It also is now red/painful outside of the nail, so no good.

I actually tried the paper clip burning thing last night! I started to do it, felt a little pain, and then just got too concerned I was going to do something horribly wrong and backed off. It was weird though, I was sitting in a bathtub with a lighter and 11:30 PM, felt like a drug addict 

Anyway, after that, just made an appointment with a podiatrist for 1 PM to just have them drain it professionally. As I mentioned with my PT, I've blown through all my out of pocket maximum this year, so healthcare is free to me. Might as well let someone who does this for a living do this for free.

Also, my wife is partially to blame for this one. It was pretty minor, but then she ran it over with a stroller and made it much worse. So she'll definitely get the nail as a gift 

OMR - I make a big effort on vacation these days to get off the Internet. We're all so addicted to our phones now, but it's such a relief to just lock it away for the day and go enjoy nature.

DW - didn't watch it, but if you say it's bad for the animals due to inexperienced riders, I'm very anti-pentathlon. I will say your comment about triathletes is so true. I could not believe in the Olympics that these guys were running sub 30.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac glad you're letting the professionals handle the needle work.

Dwave interesting information about the horse riding. I guess I expected the Olympic events to require lots and lots of training. Not "500 kids in the US could have done what she couldn't" and I understand it's hard to be great at everything. Jack of all trades. Master of None.

Mikkey I thought it was awesome to see them encourage each other. I've done similar encouragement for workouts with friends so at the Olympics with 200m to go for a runner fully giving it to then say "okay man, I can't let YOU down. I'll try harder" is awesome.

aqi still garbage. I'm not going to invest in a treadmill (again) as I just don't like them. I know plenty of people out running today and I actually considered it. The whole "It's only about an hour which is what they say to limit yourself to" was just not in my book today. It's currently 136 according to the EPA. After Monday's run I'm not even willing to try it. This is the same EPA forecasting 82 (yellow) earlier today at my work. I was there. It wasn't what I'd think of when I think it's okay unless "unusally sensitive" as I've run in yellow before. Purple air says 153. 150+ is red.

• Red is 150-200
                      1. Reduce your exposure by choosing less strenuous activities or shortening the amount of time you are active outdoors."
                    • Orange is one step down from Red (100-150)
                      1. Choose less strenuous activities (like walking instead of running) so you don’t breathe as hard.
                      2. Shorten the amount of time you are active outdoors.
                      3. Be active outdoors when air quality is better.

If Orange is "be active later" and Red is "shorten the amount of time" I'm just going to skip the run and try for a TRX workout later. I wouldn't put TRX on the same workout effort as 12x400m @ 5k pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac:... I'm currently sans big toenail on my left foot. When it comes off it's a good opportunity to really gross out your wife by presenting it to her. 

They can make lovely jewelry if you string them up through the trephination hole.  Maybe save up both big toenails for a set of earrings?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac needs to man up. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ended up doing my workout. Decided to wait until later at night when the smoke IDEALLY is better, and it's harder to see. AQI around 117 and TDP lower than 130 allowed me to justify giving it at least a shot. I figured if the recommendation is "less than an hour" I could get a workout in.  Plus I needed a mental break away from excuses to marathon training. Turned into a good workout so the next few should get interesting.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Just got off a stint on Dixie.  I think we were over 300 some days.  Chester didn't actually burn, though.  So that's something good that happened.  Was in Greenville and Canyondam, tho.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just got off a stint on Dixie.  I think we were over 300 some days.  Chester didn't actually burn, though.  So that's something good that happened.  Was in Greenville and Canyondam, tho.

hadn't seen any travels on strava recently. For some reason I thought you were near Clear Lake and not Almanor. Strava wasn't showing me your activity, so now I've pulled it up and Strava will show me everything because algorithms.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

We cover our fellow districts in need.  Almanor was 2019 for me.  Check the PCT hike.  CalfFire was going to doze it up...

11:11 3,000 (recent)