Oy, my ass! (Read 2565 times)

Feeling the growl again

Bump

Give me some good news about piriformis coming on suddenly when your goal marathon is 2 1/2 weeks away. Please. 

Well, this doesn't work for everybody, but what helps me is to run some solid accelerations that force your stride way open.  Yes it hurts like hell at the time.  It seems like when I get piriformis pain, the muscles subconsciously tighten up around it and start a negative cycle.  By running fast with a long stride if forces everything loose....then I stretch after, and typically within a few days it is totally gone.

Then again maybe you will tear something.  So YMMV.  But it has worked for me, most recently last week.  Then I did a fast tempo run and it's been gone for a few days now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Then again maybe you will tear something.  

uh huh. I think I aggravated this with 600s on the track Tuesday. Yesterday's run started painful but did loosen a bit. I have a tune-up 5k Saturday so perhaps i can test your theory. Or blow the hell up. 

By running fast with a long stride if forces everything loose....then I stretch after, and typically within a few days it is totally gone.

So I mashed the hell out of my ass with a rubber ball and a foam roller last night. Ran easy this morning but opened up with some strides during the last mile. I'll be damned if that didn't loosen things up. 

Feeling the growl again

So I mashed the hell out of my ass with a rubber ball and a foam roller last night. Ran easy this morning but opened up with some strides during the last mile. I'll be damned if that didn't loosen things up. 

Smile

Glad you are feeling better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills