lower leg pain (Read 877 times)

madness baby

For the past month or so, I've been experiencing some pain in my lower right leg when running. It's not predictable, but more noticeable when I run multiple days in a row or have a hard gym workout. Today it's great weather, and I had a longer run planned, but I could only go about a half a mile before having to turn around. So it's on the front inside of my right leg, just a little lower than halfway between my knee and ankle, right along the ridge of that bone. I don't think it's shin splints- it feels like it hurts in the bone. It only hurts in my right leg. Lately I haven't been training as hard and haven't been running on consecutive days, so I can't figure it out. Well, the bright side is that at least I can read while I walk on the dreadmill. I'm off to the gym. Thanks for your help guys. Smile
    deb
      It sure sounds like shin splints, however, it could be a stress fracture and you should have a doctor check it out. Better safe than sorry.... Cool Good Luck and remember to RICE your injuries..... Shocked

madness baby

So can you have shin splints on the inside of your leg? I always thought it was on the front outside section of your leg. Sorry, it's been a long day. Don't know the terminology. Wink
        deb
          Deb, if you are concerned about a stress fracture, you should be able to find a localized area of pain about a thumbs width wide. Take your thumb and "press" along the bone to see if it is just one spot that is worse than other areas. Also check the underside of the bone in that area. If it is more generalized,it could be inflammation of the bone sheath. Have you noticed any swelling in the sore area? In any case, if rest doesn't take care of it, don't mess around, see a doc. Hope you feel better soon Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Fazakerley

Disclaimer: I'm a new runner, and sadly I'm not a doctor! I've been having exactly the same issue; I mean, same area on the same leg and everything. From what I've read, I believe it is indeed shin splints (the tibialis posterior is on the inside of "that bone" you speak of). Just my 2ยข; I wish you a speedy recovery! Personally, I've taken a whole week off, which covers the "R" in RICE pretty well, I figure...
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Deb I had a stress fracture in that location years ago. In fact, that spot has always been kind of strange for me. Sore even now, and frequently seems to be.. I actually have found that a deep calf stretch helps me there when I feel soreness in that area. Also, do you run on the left side of slanted roads (i.e. towards traffic)? I've always felt like road slants wreak havoc on the high leg (usually the right) because the extreme over-pronation of the right foot on the slant is very unnatural, much more so than the over-supination of the left foot. Good Luck!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

madness baby

Hmm, lots to think about. Thanks so much for all of your input. Chenille, I tried pressing and it's not really that painful in one specific area. I really hope it is just shin splints. It seemed to go away for a while tonight, after a half mile, but I will rest more. After walking and the elliptical, I just had to run a bit. Not exactly RICE, huh? When I've been able to run lately, I have been trying to run on fairly flat roads, or running closer to the middle of the road on backroads rather than on the far left side. Haven't gotten arrested yet Wink Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted!
                deb
                sheil2009

21:00

Well, I get shin splints a lot and it usually feels like the bone. I also feel like I get a big bump there when I have shin splints. I pretty sure that is what you have
                    Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted!
                    Better?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

madness baby

Sorry, I have been out of town (again) and didn't see this. It's been feeling better lately, but with all this summer travel I've been giving my legs quite a rest. I just ran through the mild pain the past couple of days and it wasn't too bad. Boy, that doesn't sound smart. But, I think it might just be shin splints. I've always heard people complain about them, but since I wasn't running I didn't know what they were! I am going to assume that's what it is. Thanks everyone!
                      deb

Me and my RP

I'm just coming off a 7 week break due to a stress fracture in that exact same location. If you can apply pressure to the bone and feel a sharp pain in certain spot, it's probably a stress fracture. I was casted and had to spend the last 7 weeks swimming. I can't tell you how much I dislike swimming! However, now that I'm supposedly healed up, I'm starting back slowly..running 3-4 miles every other day. I tried doing two days in a row and learned quickly that my leg needs that day off. I've found that ibuprofen helps when my leg gets achy. I've also upped my calcium intake in the hopes that it'll help strengthen the bone a bit. But yeah, seven whole weeks of not running was not good for me, emotionally. But now that I'm back, I'm a much smarter runner..or at least I hope soSmile