What do you make of this? (Read 596 times)

Hey, I got a letter in the mail today from lawyer. In it, it states Dear mr Joe, We are the lawyers acting on behalf of Ms x. Ms x was in a 'sams' hardware shop on 'sams' street in Dublin Ireland on Aug 1st 2007, where she was struck down with a door panel that fell upon her. Ms x also informs us that both you and your wife were present and witnessed the incident. I would appreciate a written account from you and you wife regarding this matter. yours, lawyer. #1 I was never in that hardware store #2 I'm not married #3 Ive never met or dont know Ms x #4 How the hell did she get my name +address ================ Is this a case of identity theft? Confused
    Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
      VERY VERY weird! I would probably google the lawyers name to see if its actually real. Then I would google the store where this supposedly happened. If it checks out, I would be inclined to just call them or send them a letter back that they have the wrong person. If it still looks fishy after the google thing, just ignore it. see if you get any other letters. and if you dont, its not your problem anyway right?
      JakeKnight

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

If it's a real lawyer send him or her a letter telling him that you were not there and have no knowledge of the incident described in the letter. In my practice if someone doesn't respond to a letter I can always have them subpoenaed if I really think they have information favorable to my case. And this has happened when I have sent someone a letter inquiring about an event and received no response. I am not sure how the law works in Ireland but I am sure it's not that different, so I would make sure it's a real attorney and then write a quick letter, but volunteer no information.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          obsessor

.... if someone doesn't respond to a letter I can always have them subpoenaed if I really think ...
            One of the many reasons "I [heart] lawyers" shirts are perennially popular. My view says it's not worth your stamp. Call, if it's legit, local and you are a nice person. modified to add - volunteer your testimony for an hourly fee. Send a short-form contract for him to sign. ... I would not send the letter before receiving payment, however. But I guess, in the end, his client would be the one paying... nah, maybe I could not do do that.
              It's some sort of Phishing scheme, I think. What their goal is, I don't know. It might be as simple as to find credulous people to target with more complex scams.
                I called them up earlier today. The lady who answered was saying "Oh, my colleague Linda is looking after this case. She is not in the office until tomorrow morning. Can I take your number and get her to give you a ring then?" Eh, no you cannot. I'll ring her myself. It definitely looks like a phishing scheme allright. The lengths these people go to...
                Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.

Think Whirled Peas

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl ...
                  HAH! Airplane? The tower! The tower! Rapunzel! Rapunzel!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>