Superstitions and Pre-Race Rituals (Read 272 times)

Julia1971

It's hockey playoffs season!  Hockey fans are known for their superstitions.  How about us runners?  Not wearing the race shirt at the race is universal but are there non-running related things you do before a race for good luck?

I'll start: My good luck sign is my neighbor's cat (named Karma).  If she shows up on my door step on race week, I consider it a good sign and spend some time petting her despite my severe allergy.  My ritual is painting my nails something crazy the night before - usually black or sparkles.  I think it settles my nerves since I have to concentrate and sit still while the color dries.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not sure what my superstitions are, but I could try making my nails sparkly.

Julia1971

You could also start calling your neighbor's cat "Karma".  Personally, I've found the cat more indicative of race success.  It's like she can sense failure.

Not sure what my superstitions are, but I could try making my nails sparkly.

Cheeseburger and fries and beer for a pre-race meal the night before.  The day of, I get there super early, get my number/chip affixed, run a mile or so, take care of business, then run another mile, and I'm ready.

Menace to Sobriety

I believe if I put the proper amount and type of training in, I'll do well in the race. I know it's just a silly superstition, but it seems to work for me.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I also set out all my racing gear in the shape of a person and pin my bib onto my singlet the night before the race. I'm afraid that if I don't do this (especially when traveling for a race) I will get up the morning of the race and realize I don't have pins or I forgot to bring socks or shorts etc.

I also take a massive pre-race dump for good luck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I heard being superstitious is bad luck.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

SubDood

+"2"

zonykel

Looks like a common pre-race ritual. Nothing superstitious about it, though. But it would be bad luck to have to use the porta-pottie in the middle of the race.

I also set out all my racing gear in the shape of a person and pin my bib onto my singlet the night before the race. I'm afraid that if I don't do this (especially when traveling for a race) I will get up the morning of the race and realize I don't have pins or I forgot to bring socks or shorts etc.

I do this too!

I'm seriously considering a crazy nail color for my next race.

Julia1971

I'm seriously considering a crazy nail color for my next race.

I'm racing tomorrow.  My Mizunos are lilac and orange so I'm thinking of going with one of those colors.  Smile

Orange.

Julia1971

Orange.

Yep.  That's what I decided...  Didn't see the cat this week, I don't think.  Maybe I'll see her tomorrow morning.

Hoban-Jay

At every race I run, I wear a Winnie The Pooh T-Shirt, Tree-Frog RainForest Cafe shorts, and an unadorned pink (it used to be red...) baseball cap.  Doesn't matter the distance that is what I wear to every race.

Dream Maker

I always shave the night before a ramatti will and have let myself get all gross and hairy at times but before a race I will always shave smooth.

I also won't wear the race shirt.

Everything else is more practical.