Insoles and Cushioning (Read 571 times)

colinw

I am on the lookout for a new pair of shoes right now and from what I understand the cushioning a shoe provides is the key piece that breaks down after so many kms/miles of use. I understand the tread also wears, but the treads on my shoes seem to still have some life in them. I don't want to injure myself by not using new shoes enough so I was wondering if adding cushioning insoles to my shoes would lengthen their life? If the cushioning is not as "cushiony" as it once was and the shoe is otherwise just fine, would adding an insole allow me to wear them for a few hundred more kms/miles? I am a heavier, newer runner with a neutral stride/gait. Thanks for any advice from anyone who tried this or from someone who can point out a flaw in the argument.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

colinw

anyone???

im no expert by any means but I got another 100 miles on my sneakers by adding an insert. I wear cushioned sneakers too because of really high arches.
          When running magazines talk about the "cushioning," they're mainly talking about the midsole - the spongy stuff underneath the tread, rather than the relatively minimal foam in the insoles. Cushioning tends to break down between 300-500 miles - on the lower side if you're heavier. I replace my shoes at 280 but only because I wear through the heel tread by then.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

colinw

Thanks Marcus - if the midsole cushioning wears out and flattens (or whatever happens to it) wouldn't adding more cushioning to the insole help (as long as the shoe still woudl fit well)?