Marathon pace advice (Read 390 times)

Mmmmm...beer

For anyone that was wondering, I went out with the 3:15 group, then pulled away at mile 22 and ran negative splits to finish with a 3:14:07.  BQ for my first marathon.  Yeah, I'm a happy camper.  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JML

For anyone that was wondering, I went out with the 3:15 group, then pulled away at mile 22 and ran negative splits to finish with a 3:14:07.  BQ for my first marathon.  Yeah, I'm a happy camper.  Big grin

Well played.  Congrats!

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

npaden

Congrats!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Great job - a lot of strength to pick it up like that - congratulations!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks everyone!  It felt great to finish strong and be able to pass people at the end, most of my races are usually the opposite where I go out too fast and fade. lol

I'm sure there are other factors involved, but I couldn't help but notice something.  My half PR from last year pointed to a 3:05 marathon, but I was also 10lbs lighter for that half.  That's a :20/mile difference, which is what I've seen people say is the difference that 10lbs can make.  Just thought that was interesting.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Congratulations on a great first marathon.  Not to burst your bubble but your time would not qualify for Boston this year.  The minimum accepted time this year was 1:38 faster than the posted qualifying times.  It might be slightly different next year because this year there were about 5000 people that got in based on not finishing in 2013.  Just something to keep in mind if you are planning on running Boston next year you may want to try for a faster time.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations on a great first marathon.  Not to burst your bubble but your time would not qualify for Boston this year.  The minimum accepted time this year was 1:38 faster than the posted qualifying times.  It might be slightly different next year because this year there were about 5000 people that got in based on not finishing in 2013.  Just something to keep in mind if you are planning on running Boston next year you may want to try for a faster time.

It would have gotten you in in 2013, and since this year is so different due to the bombings I am sure you will get in in 2015 even if you don't get a faster time before September!  

Runners run

Mmmmm...beer

Yup, I know. Smile  I'm not going to actually run Boston next year, just wanted to hit the mark.  I'm hoping to run Boston in '16 and will hopefully register with a BQ+10 or better.

-Dave

My running blog

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That is awesome, D2, congrats!  Do you give credit to all the peeps who chimed in on this thread, or to your 1000+ miles of training? Smile

Mmmmm...beer

That is awesome, D2, congrats!  Do you give credit to all the peeps who chimed in on this thread, or to your 1000+ miles of training? Smile

Thanks!  You know it was the support here that did it! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Congratulations, Dave. It is nice to see you achieve your goal after following your training for some time.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

BeeRunB

Congratulations! Recover well!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks David & Jimmy!  Recovery is going well, I've gone for a couple of easy runs this week, going to keep it easy for the next week or so.  I've got a couple of 5Ks and a 10K in April/May that I'm targeting.  Then some short, fun races over the summer and a goal half in Oct.  I'm really looking forward to running this marathon again next year with more training under my belt and being 20-25lbs lighter.

-Dave

My running blog