Am I to old to pick up running? (Read 226 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ah, I see.  Use zippered pockets, keeps 'em from bouncing out.

LOL

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Here is a guy who completed a full marathon at age 100! It took him over 8 hours, but he did finish! Very inspiring to youngsters like myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here is a guy who completed a full marathon at age 100! It took him over 8 hours, but he did finish! Very inspiring to youngsters like myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh

Heh, he's in a running club called "Sikhs in the City".

pedaling fool

I'm in my late 30s and skinny. I do cardio on a spin bike (just 30 minutes a day) which I enjoy. However psychologically running is completely different, much more enjoyable. I've been told people older than 30 had better not to run for the sake of their joints and I already have a slight problem in my knee (from an accident). Although there is soft (grass covered) ground available around where I live.

What do you think? If you are positive then is there any type of shoe (with cushion) that you recommend?

I didn't start running until I was in my early 40's (I'm now 54) and I also have a problem with my right knee as a result of a childhood accident.

The height of my knee problem was about five years ago when I injured it so bad (doing speed training) that I thought I'd never be able to run again. Long story, short, I did a lot of research and decided my best course of action was to start up a weight training program to focus on my legs, specifically (but not exclusively) my posterior chain.

I believe many of us athletes/active people develop very strong quads in our legs, since many forms of exercise seem to be quad-dominate, which causes a muscle imbalance between the back and front of the legs, i.e. the hamstrings and quads, respectively. I've read quite a bit on how this can cause or exacerbate knee issues.

Long story, short (again), I believe one of the most beneficial exercises that corrected the imbalance between my leg muscles was the Deadlift exercise; when done properly you will definitely feel the muscle pain in your posterior. If you think about leg pains whether from too much running or riding a bike it's almost always in the quads, hence the activity being quad-dominate – Deadlifts and other exercises balances out this imbalance.

I now run pain free, other than the normal pains. Also, I've come to the conclusion that running being bad for the joints is an absolute myth.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

I ran some when I was much younger (teens, 20's and early 30's).  Was mostly for the fun of it and, in my 30's for conditioning for skiing and mountain climbing.  Ran only two 10K races in that time (1978 and 1985).  Stopped running consistently (only 2-3 times per week) when I was in my late 30's when I changed jobs.

Started consistently walking to lose weight and improve cardio performance at age 56 (though I had a slight meniscus tear as a result of slipping when I was walking).  Ran my first 10K in years at age 59 (no run training prior to the race), and did fine in the 10K.  Began training for my first marathon shortly after that (26 week training plan) at age 59 and ran my first marathon at age 60.  I have run 10 marathons, 10 half marathons and a mish-mash of 5k's, 8k's, 10k's, and 10-milers.  No marathons in 2018 but a few shorter races as I cut back on my running earlier on the year due to a foot issue (Morton's neuroma).

Training for my next marathons (yes, plural with three on the schedule two of which I am already signed up for).  Will also include a scattering of half-marathons and 10k's as part of that training.

Other than the Morton's neuroma, only two other running related injuries.  In my first marathon, I stepped on a sweet gum ball as I was running downhill at mile 14.  The unbalanced position when my heel finally stopped on the asphalt gave me a slight tear of the Achilles tendon.  Took a few weeks for it to heal before I could get back to running.

A little over a year later after completing my third marathon (November), I was signed up for two marathons; one in February and one in April.  I had the opportunity to run another marathon in February a week after I completed the one I was originally signed up for.  This marathon was "free" in that it was a comp entry provided through the company that did much of the advertisement for the marathon and my SIL worked for them.  I ran the two marathons on back-to-back weekends and I did fine (set a new PR on the second one).  But it was the first indication that I was going to have difficulties with my right hip flexor.  I was on a 16-mile training run less than two weeks before my April marathon when my hip flexor started hurting at around mile 12-13.  Rather than stopping and either walking home or calling my wife to come pick me up, I continued with my training run.  Lesson: don't run through the pain.

I took the two weeks off without running and did run the marathon as scheduled.  I did okay and the hip flexor did act up towards the end of the race, but I still turned in an acceptable time.  Took about a month off without running and limited scheduled walking to allow it to heal.  Resumed running in late May and ran my next race in July (a 5K) and just missed my PR for the 5K distance.

Unless you have some known underlying medical condition, you probably aren't too old.  But it does take some gradual conditioning to work up to distance related running, if you are so inclined.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

While I ran a few fun run races when young and off and on a bit over the years, nothing really consistently until I was 49. It's now 10 years and 8 marathons later including a qualified run at Boston. I'll not win any races, but winning my age group is possible in smaller to mid sized races. I'm starting a 60-85 mile training plan and going for a top age group placement at marathon number 9. No, you are not too old.

If you have a knee issue, take it nice and easy for your first year or two. Running can build stronger knees but it takes lots of time. My knees and calfs are much larger and stronger than when I started. The whole running will break your knees hysteria is overblown. Running "CAN" mess with your knees if you have issues to start with or try to do too much too soon. But running can also build knees of steel.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

To add to the inspiration: For the Love of Mary is a 6-minute film about 97-year-old George Etzweiler, who started running at 48, and who first competed in the race up Mt. Washington at age 69.  He's done it every year since.

AllenHuo

Review for free running shoes!

We are now extending market on amazon.Glad to test it with free samples. Wish to know u would need it. Just review on amazon,u would get the shoes for free.Reply if you are interested.

AllenHuo

Review for free running shoes!

We are now extending market on amazon.Glad to test it with free samples. Wish to know u would need it. Just review on amazon,u would get the shoes for free.Reply if you are interested.