kidsrunning.com (Read 1121 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

kidsrunning.com Neat site. I really want to get my son running with me this Summer, I just wish I could find some really short races (ie maybe a mile) in our area that he could run with me. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

this is pretty interesting-- i was going to start a running club at my last school, but left. i wanted to start one at my current school, but thought the kids might be too young (prek-grade2)-- but this site shows me that there are ways to make it age-appropriate for my current crop of kids, too. thanks!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, my son will be starting first grade in the Fall. I think a 5k would be a bit much for him, but I think 1-2 miles might be perfect. He said he can run with mommy and bike with Daddy. I found the ADHD sections really interesting, too. Dane was diagnosed earlier this year and I really do believe that keeping him active is a big part of why he does well even on very low-dose meds. Luckily he comes from a family that is very pro-exercise, too. My brother runs and wants to do the Chicago marathon with me someday. And my ILs have both been avid runners. My FIL was still running, biking and skiing while actively undergoing cancer treatments. I am certain that his physical fitness allowed him to live so long with cancer. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

k, my town has weekly all-comers track meets in the summer with age groups from U-6 up to 50+. It's run by the rec department with help from the H.S. track teams. You should see if there's something like that in your area.

Runners run

this is pretty interesting-- i was going to start a running club at my last school, but left. i wanted to start one at my current school, but thought the kids might be too young (prek-grade2)-- but this site shows me that there are ways to make it age-appropriate for my current crop of kids, too. thanks!
            I've had a running club at my elementary school for about five years, and I've used the various logs from kidsrunning as a great way to track mileage - I even sent in some logs and the kids got their names posted on the site. They loved it! You should also check out a guy named Pete Saccone in Southern California who has a program called "Funner to Be a Runner" (that's where I stole my name from!). He posts a lot on kidsrunning and he gives out his email for people to contact him - he published a cheap little book that has the whole program in it. saccone@gwise.cajon.k12.ca.us I always found that the little kids in the club were the most dependable members! I have a girl who's now in middle school, but ran with me starting in second grade, and she still asks me when the next local race is and if I can get her the info!
            1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

k, my town has weekly all-comers track meets in the summer with age groups from U-6 up to 50+. It's run by the rec department with help from the H.S. track teams. You should see if there's something like that in your area.
              I will definitely look into that--I have never seen anything similar to that in any of the organized sports things for kids in the area, but that would certainly be cool. Carol, thanks for the further info.! I definitely want to have my son look at that site some. Maybe help him map and log some little runs here, too. I think he'd enjoy having maps of his runs...he's definitely interested in the maps I make. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Some months ago our homeschooling group ordered Happy Feet fitness log from this website - really cool, kids loved it. I also liked Log-a-Mile printouts with little foot prints as mile markers. There are some interesting articles there, especially one about a strong correlation between rise of ADHD and related conditions with cutbacks for phys-ed in schools. Makes sense to me that a lot of kids kids won't be able to focus if they don't discharge their energies. Oh, just don't get me started on that one. Ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                  a strong correlation between rise of ADHD and related conditions with cutbacks for phys-ed in schools. Makes sense to me that a lot of kids kids won't be able to focus if they don't discharge their energies. Oh, just don't get me started on that one.
                  Okay, have to share this quote from California's Superintendent of Public Instruction: talking about cutbacks in p.e. and other areas, he says that reading, writing and math can be integrated into other curricular areas, for example "they can write a report in physical education". And these are my state's leaders. Kinda glad I'm moving back to Canada....
                  1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."

Dog-Love

I am in charge of a 4H Running club in Juneau. Its a 10 week program where we meet at a different trail each Thursday and kids from 2nd to 8th grade run whatever speed they want. We have a "Hard and Fast" group a "Nice and Easy" group and a "Midpack" group. I get some help from adult hard and fasat runners to help lead that group. The little kids like to sprint and walk and sprint and walk and the bigger kids even help lead the little guys. Some kids are sort of forced to go, but theyt warm up to it and after the run they usually still have tons of energy to play on the beach or whereever. My kids seriously benefit from this. I have done this for 4 years with my kids and I have learned to enjoy the "nice and easy" runs as much as the Hard and Fast. Never lost a kid yet and last year we started out with 50 kids. THis year there are 30 already signed up.
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Michelle just posted this article from Runner's World in the Ladies Locker Room. Looks like this Summer is the perfect time to get my son into some simple little jogs for a mile or so. He turned 6 in Feb. and can run run run with the most amazing endurance and speed for a little guy. k

~ Sarah Kay

Michelle just posted this article from Runner's World in the Ladies Locker Room.
                        She's a relative of mine! Big grin Go Lilianna!!!
                        Looks like this Summer is the perfect time to get my son into some simple little jogs for a mile or so. He turned 6 in Feb. and can run run run with the most amazing endurance and speed for a little guy.
                        That's great that your son likes to run, and has such endurance. My soon to be 6 y/o has such twiggy legs. Watching him run during soccer is funny but he goes all out, gotta love it.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My soon to be 6 y/o has such twiggy legs.
                          Yep...Dane looks a lot like the tall, leggy alien in Close Encounters...big head and all! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

ha i just got an email from a former student of mine, now 9 years old: "hi michele how are you. i heard ur runing races. we had field day this year and i won a metal. so i am runing races 2! i got ur email addres from ur invitation to the art show last summer. i think u should do another one this year but also have track practis 4 kids. we can have a field day at the end. if its not to much work. remember me? xxxxxx" if it's not "2 much work", i think a field day for the local kids might just happen!
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

if it's not "2 much work", i think a field day for the local kids might just happen!
                              Oh, how cool! That would be so much fun! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

i think it could be! if the girls w/ whom i work with primarily are interested in getting something like this together, i'll totally do this. i'm thinking a team-oriented field-day would be fun, w/ the goal to be the 2nd place team rather than 1st place, events-points-wise. hopefully it will inspire kids to work hard together, but not to get down on their slower teammates or whatever.