Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Feeling the growl again

It's been 4 years now since my wife had both hips done (a few months apart from each other). At best, she rated her total recovery compared to pre-injury as about 60%. A new arthrogram now is showing a new tear, psoascapsular adhesion, a couple areas of bursitis, and some tendonitis. We're heading up to Chicago to consult with another surgeon on Monday. I guess it's encouraging, in a way, to know that more recovery might be had. It's tiring to think that we've now got to do this a third time. 

Man I'm sorry to hear this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

Beef - that stinks Sad  Was it your wife who was in a car accident, and that was the reason for the tears?  Or am I mis-remembering?  Hopefullythere are some options available for a full recovery.

So I got some info about the whole hip flexor tendonitis stuff - keep in mind, I only met with the physician's assistant and my dr. is very particular about how he rehabs hip scope patients.

I asked why people end up with all this soft tissue badness after the scope surgery and their take is that far too many rehab protocols wait too long to start getting patients moving again.  They think the braces and movement limitations and whatnot do more harm when it comes to regaining functional strength and ROM.  They've been seeing a lot more revision surgeries from other surgeons where there was so much scar tissue because the patient wasn't moving through a full range of motion until far too late in the rehab.  The one who was there today was a revision - her psoas was completely frozen in scar tissue.

So the longer you don't use your muscles, the more atrophy and scar tissuse, the more things like hip flexors that need to work over time to compensate.   Makes sense, I guess?

It was hip day at PT today - all three of us that were there today were newly minted hip scopes!  I was the only one who got the full spa treatment though lol   One was the revision, the other was labrum and FAI.

I also found out why I am still having trouble fully standing up straight - they stitched my hip capsule instead of leaving it open, which means it's tighter than it was pre-surgery.   Makes sense, because it feels like my joint is what is keeping me from extending.   PA said it just takes time for everything to settle down, otherwise I'm ahead of schedule in terms of strength and ROM (I can touch my toes!).

Yep, that's her. Her labrums were both essentially exploded. There was more torn than not. Both had FAI, alpha lesions, torn ligamentum teres...and so on. On the first one, they reattached the capsule, but then it was too tight and they had to release it again. On the 2nd, it went better. She also had a psoas release on the 2nd, but not the first. She was pretty good about the PT, and she knew what she was doing - she's a DO, and also a massage therapist and yoga teacher. I think the PT was harder the first time around because she was still torn on the other side, and also had a torn meniscus at that time. The imbalance between the hips has then caused some issues as well. Monday will be the 3rd surgeon we've talked to about the revision, all of which are surgeons who really don't do much except hip scopes. We're pretty sure we have the right one now.  

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ostrich runner

Well, things aren't really any worse than they've been, so it's nice to know that there are still things that can be done. That's less intimidating than the idea that the last few years were baseline.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm sorry about your wife, beef.  I can't imagine the anger and frustration.  Who are you going to see in Chicago?  Dr. Nho?

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

+1.  I hope that your wife and you get things figured out beef.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

I'm sorry about your wife, beef.  I can't imagine the anger and frustration.  Who are you going to see in Chicago?  Dr. Nho?

That's the one. I don't think we still are in a place of anger or frustration...at this point it's just a bit of apprehension about the weeks immediately after the surgery. After that, we're really excited to see how much function she can get back. While it's been 4 years since the last round, it's been 8 years since the original injury. She's tough in the way of a Dopplebock...the sort of toughness that is only really fathomable by saying "that's tougher than I'll ever actually understand."

Hip Redux

She's in good hands.   Does she have a surgery date yet?

adamturgy

hey everyone happy to find this group... very helpful

i m 20 days post op and feeling well, few days ago some small bruises appear on the anterior part of the hip, my doctor des its find , just a bit painful ... anyone experienced something like that???

Hip Redux

hey everyone happy to find this group... very helpful

i m 20 days post op and feeling well, few days ago some small bruises appear on the anterior part of the hip, my doctor des its find , just a bit painful ... anyone experienced something like that???

It just appeared - for no reason?  I had bruising after surgery, but you're well beyond where you would see that.   Seems strange to me!

dallison

registered pw

Welcome. I didn't have any bruising either.

I mowed the lawn for the first time today since the end of march. Yes, i know, i shouldn't be excited, but i am thankful i can do it.

I didn't have any issues with lawn duty today. mrs. Dallison is very happy to not have to do it any more.

I am also walking with a normal stride. I don't have any pain but certain stretches still remind me that i had something done. I am very regimented in doing the stretches twice a day. it takes me about 20 minutes each time. I can't wait until July 1st to take my first run. i am very sure that i'll be approved to do so. It won't be far, maybe a 1/2-1 mile.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oski, thanks for the explanation from your PA about the soft tissue stuff.  Sometimes I just think that no one really knows what's going on with this surgery.  I mean, didn't the all holy god of hip surgery himself (Dr. Philippon) design a brace for this?  And what's up with those bootie things some people had to sleep in?  Ugh.  I guess we're all just an experiment of one. I feel like since this surgery is so new, things change so quickly.  I wonder what will be different in 5 years.

I spent my entire weekend outside for the most part and I feel pretty good.  Saturday I went to spectate at my favorite race (Ice Age Trail 50) and hung out with another RAer that Finn knows well.  We drank some beer, went for a few walks on the trails and I think my hip held together pretty well.  I was sitting for a while on the grass and I started to get sore.  Getting back on a chair was better.  The massive sunburn on my face was the worst part.

Sunday I went for another hike -- this time loaded with 15 pounds.  Amazingly, it went much better than my previous hike.  I didn't have nearly as many twinges and we managed to go 4.7 miles.  It felt good to do something and lug some weight up the hills.  I never thought I would miss being able to sweat so much.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

That's great!  Why 15 pounds?

Yeah, it's all over the place.  The PA said they've never had someone with long term tendinopathy issues in the 6 years he's been working there, but does he know why that really is?  Probably not and it's probably just a big guess.  I also learned he had both his hips done earlier this year!  So it's nice to know he's at least been through it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That's great!  Why 15 pounds?

Yeah, it's all over the place.  The PA said they've never had someone with long term tendinopathy issues in the 6 years he's been working there, but does he know why that really is?  Probably not and it's probably just a big guess.  I also learned he had both his hips done earlier this year!  So it's nice to know he's at least been through it.

Heavy enough to add some extra work, but not too heavy that I would be worried about it.

That's really interesting and seems like good news, since my doctor seems to prescribe to the same philosophy as yours.  Have you done your no-resistance bike riding yet?

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

That's how i feel. The doctors all seem to have different strategies.

Do you find that when you sit for a while and then get up it takes a few minutes to walk normal again?

Oski, thanks for the explanation from your PA about the soft tissue stuff.  Sometimes I just think that no one really knows what's going on with this surgery.  I mean, didn't the all holy god of hip surgery himself (Dr. Philippon) design a brace for this?  And what's up with those bootie things some people had to sleep in?  Ugh.  I guess we're all just an experiment of one. I feel like since this surgery is so new, things change so quickly.  I wonder what will be different in 5 years.

I spent my entire weekend outside for the most part and I feel pretty good.  Saturday I went to spectate at my favorite race (Ice Age Trail 50) and hung out with another RAer that Finn knows well.  We drank some beer, went for a few walks on the trails and I think my hip held together pretty well.  I was sitting for a while on the grass and I started to get sore.  Getting back on a chair was better.  The massive sunburn on my face was the worst part.

Sunday I went for another hike -- this time loaded with 15 pounds.  Amazingly, it went much better than my previous hike.  I didn't have nearly as many twinges and we managed to go 4.7 miles.  It felt good to do something and lug some weight up the hills.  I never thought I would miss being able to sweat so much.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yes, I still feel a little stiff if I've been sitting for a while and then get up.  Takes a few steps to get to normal.  I am now mostly getting in the car like normal though!

Running is dumb.