Piriformis syndrome and / or sciatica, what to do? (Read 198 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

It could also be coming from your back.  The McKenzie stretches are good to do before driving and during breaks.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

http://www.sacrowedgy.com/

Thanks Ilene.

I see lots of stretches on YouTube, but are any of the health club strength machines good for the piriformis?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thought my piriformis problem was behind me, but it returned and is now a PIA (actually just below ass) when running.

Joann Y

FYI, I get some pains here and there still. The things that have worked... strength training and rolling out the upper hamstring, almost up to the glute, with a yoga ball. I get the sense there is some stickiness up there that is tacking things down and feel a whole lot better when I remember to do something about it. General strength training has been effective, I think, in giving me some glutes to work with. I've noticed that I seem to have a new gear that I can access sometimes and overall pain is significantly diminished. Now to deal with this new achilles pain. Argh.

dhuffman63

Trails

I thought the pain I had was piriformis also but it actually is my psoas.  It really hurts my lower back and down into my hip area.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

FYI, I get some pains here and there still. The things that have worked... strength training and rolling out the upper hamstring, almost up to the glute, with a yoga ball. I get the sense there is some stickiness up there that is tacking things down and feel a whole lot better when I remember to do something about it. General strength training has been effective, I think, in giving me some glutes to work with. I've noticed that I seem to have a new gear that I can access sometimes and overall pain is significantly diminished. Now to deal with this new achilles pain. Argh.

Are you using health club strength machines, Joann?  Which ones for PS?

Joann Y

Are you using health club strength machines, Joann?  Which ones for PS?

No. I finally went to a personal trainer to help me curb my old age and reteach me how to do a proper squat, etc. 2 x week. We've been doing some heavy lifting with proper form (heavier than I would have attempted on my own) focusing on squat (lunges with heavy weights, weighted barbell, etc) and dead lift (trap bar), plyometrics, kettle bell, upper body, and really all kinds of stuff to get me some strength and balance. All with a running focus. This has been my rehab and prehab for old age. I think I'm ready. I would stay away from the machines, personally. I think that one of the things that we can benefit from the most with lifting is all of the little adjustments that our body has to make to stay balanced and in proper form. Even though I come from having a degree in exercise and sport science (obviously years ago), I needed someone to show me how to do it. To start over. For me, being close to 45 and a woman that used to be somewhat strong but has watched it all dwindle away, this has been an exercise in dialing back the clock. I literally feel better than I did at the age of 29.

Anyway, as far as piriformis/sciatica, from my experience I would think learning a proper squat and deadlift and doing something of that nature twice a week (nothing hardcore), along with rolling out hamstrings and glutes with something like this would go far, along with just general strength and mobility stuff (rolling).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks Joann.  45 doesn't sound old to me.  Looks like knee pain has overtaken my piriformis concern for now ):   I better just go find a good nursing home.

Joann Y

Thanks Joann.  45 doesn't sound old to me.  Looks like knee pain has overtaken my piriformis concern for now ):   I better just go find a good nursing home.

Not old yet but old enough to start feeling old age quietly and insidiously creeping in. See you in the nursing home!