Anyone else a pescetarian/vegan (Read 893 times)

Docket_Rocket

Vegetarian for close to 9 months.  I've had fish 3 times since then, so I might be pescatarian, but I consider myself a vegetarian.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sugnim

I was vegetarian for 13 years.  Then, I moved to MT & met a rancher who changed my mind.  I still prepare a lot of vegetarian meals, however, and occasionally vegan ones.

Docket_Rocket

I was vegetarian for 13 years.  Then, I moved to MT & met a rancher who changed my mind.  I still prepare a lot of vegetarian meals, however, and occasionally vegan ones.

Men, they always ruin everything.... Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sugnim

Men, they always ruin everything.... Wink

Haha!  The rancher was a chick.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Hi all, I'm Amanda. I'm a cross between pescetarian and vegan.  (except for egg-white, honey and seafodd, I'm vegan)

Yeah...ummm, no.

There is no "except for egg, honey and seafood" in veganism.  You're not vegan.   I admire the effort, though.

Angela 

mandytheartist

I guess the best way to describe me is: "lactose/yolk avoiding pescetarian".

Docket_Rocket

Haha!  The rancher was a chick.

Oops.  Then let me phrase it as SOs, always ruining everything!

My husband cannot deal with mine.  Most of the time he orders me burgers in an effort to take me back to eating meat.  Good thing I have cats that love burgers!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

sugnim

You have some lucky kitties, Docket!  Mine would probably go feral if they got a burger.  It's actually kind of hilarious to think of a housecat eating a cow--I'm imagining a cat hunting heifer, stalking it through the meadow, and pouncing on it's enormous back.

Anyway, the rancher was someone I met at a local farmers market where my SO & I used run a small business selling sprouts.  Meeting people who raise animals and hearing their techniques & philosophies are what changed my mind about selectively adding meat back into my diet.  It was a hard switch to get used to, way harder than becoming vegetarian.  But now, we raise chickens both for eggs & meat which is highly rewarding.

Docket_Rocket

You have some lucky kitties, Docket!  Mine would probably go feral if they got a burger.  It's actually kind of hilarious to think of a housecat eating a cow--I'm imagining a cat hunting heifer, stalking it through the meadow, and pouncing on it's enormous back.

Anyway, the rancher was someone I met at a local farmers market where my SO & I used run a small business selling sprouts.  Meeting people who raise animals and hearing their techniques & philosophies are what changed my mind about selectively adding meat back into my diet.  It was a hard switch to get used to, way harder than becoming vegetarian.  But now, we raise chickens both for eggs & meat which is highly rewarding.

I feel the same way.  I have not seen Food, Inc., but I want my husband to see it.  He loves animals too but he won't stop eating meat.  So when I shop, I shop organic, grass fed and as close to the farmers as I can.  But one day he'll change, I hope.  He has stopped eating at McDs and after 15 years, that is a huge accomplishment.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here, maybe I can make this the Friday meltdown thread with this: Eating meat is how we got our big brains.  You're welcome. Smile

xor

I learned about fish and worms last night.

Come on.

I am now reading Scott Jurek's book, Eat & Run.  He uses the term "plant-based diet".....which I assume is vegan. Pretty amazing that you can run ultras, best in the world for multiple years.......all while eating vegan.  He often says that his recovery times were cut dramatically when he went to a vegan diet.....among other benefits he sings the praises of.

His testimonials have certainly caught my interest..........

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I am now reading Scott Jurek's book, Eat & Run.  He uses the term "plant-based diet".....which I assume is vegan. Pretty amazing that you can run ultras, best in the world for multiple years.......all while eating vegan.  He often says that his recovery times were cut dramatically when he went to a vegan diet.....among other benefits he sings the praises of.

His testimonials have certainly caught my interest..........

It is interesting that his recovery times were cut dramatically. What I wonder though is what was his diet like before vegan? Did he switch from eating like garbage to vegan, or eating "healthy" but non-vegan to vegan? 

He lived in Minnesota in a largely rural community and sounded like it was pretty much meat and potatoes family upbringing, as I would expect in many communities as he described.  He didn't dwell on what it was like before, but he said his former diet was a pretty conventional american diet.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

skygazer

I'm mostly a vegan too, except I eat small amount of meat and milk (I can forgo cheese)Roll eyes.

Well, ~3/4 vegan.

Damaris,

I don't understand the logic that someone who loves animals should not eat meat (I love plants and eat plants) or/and if the person eats meat it's better that's from grass fed animals for her/his love of animals.