Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Marky_Mark_17

What benchpress is considered reasonable like say a 25 min 5k in running terms 🤔. Is your own bodyweight considered ok ?

I haven't tried a max one rep yet.

Your own bodyweight for 2-4 reps is a pretty good goal to aim for.

I did bench press yesterday at the gym for the first time in like 4 months.  Took it pretty easy with light weights but still feeling it today big time!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Zeb great job on the PB.

Let's be honest we are all waiting with anticipation for Keens race report. That will make some good reading.

What benchpress is considered reasonable like say a 25 min 5k in running terms 🤔. Is your own bodyweight considered ok ?

I haven't tried a max one rep yet.

How much can you bench? Probably that plus 10 pounds. 

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - So much win! That race was excellent, thanks for the race report.

I approve of Pizza the day before.

Kudos for the upcoming strength training sessions, top notch!

Piwi - I saw this tiny Italian lady (Carola Garra) benchpress 180kg then squat 180kg and then deadlift 180kg, just saying 😏

BenchPress - I don't do bench press but I do single arm bench press with 15kg trolololol, I'm strong right? RIght?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

RP - congrats on a PR.

Zebano - well raced.

It looks like Keen had a very bad day. His last 5.3km took 1:38, looking at Strava comments, bad stomach issues.  Hopefully he is recovering OK.

Keen - sorry you had a really bad day at CIM.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Good week, and nice that you already have a goal race picked out for next year.

Steve - Glad the shingles seem to be regressing some. Nice week considering, too.

Flavio - I didn't have an acai bowl, supper was already planned when that came about (and had Chipotle for lunch). The next morning during my recovery run I did pass such a restaurant and I couldn't help but think of this.

Zebano - Congrats on a great race, and awesome RR as well. Sub 90 should certainly be there when you're healthy and on a good road course.
            On the Dallas marathon course there are two hills known as the "Dolly Parton" hills, and there are frequently men dressed up as Dolly while blasting her songs on the radio when you get there. When I ran the course I wouldn't have even noticed them, so they're much more Taylor than Dolly. 

RP - Congrats again, and I'm looking forward to a 10 page stream-of-consciousness RR!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

(Very) Long Story, Short:

Felt absolutely great the days before and the morning of the race. Met up with RP at gear check and chatted with him on the way to Folsom. Happened to run in to my coach and his wife in the crowd (2 of the 3 people from the OKC area I knew were running the race. What are the odds?).

Planned to go out at 2:58 pace then crank it down bit by bit later on. Started just in front of the 3:00 pace group, but they caught up with me (and RP went ahead) on the first uphill. No worries here, I typically take hills a bit easier than most during races. Stayed tucked in and around the 3:00 group as I was staying right around 2:58 pace and I certainly didn't mind a big group of people to run with.

Was feeling good and very controlled/under M effort and passed halfway in 1:29:10. Decided to speed up just a bit from there, but in the next mile developed a bit of a side stitch on my right side. I tried adjusting my breathing and step patterns but it kept getting just a little bit worse all the time and I had to slow down a bit - trying to ride the line between slowing enough that it wasn't much of a hindrance but still kept even sub 3 as a possibility.

Mile 22 hit and like someone hit a switch my stomach completely turned sour and I had to walk - I tried running a bit but my stomach immediately told me that was a bad idea. I trudged along hoping to throw up, but couldn't even make myself. Sat down a few times and was starting to feel a bit out of it with my head swimming from time to time. After a couple miles of this I came to a very sudden realization that I was very cold. The lightest running clothes I owned were just fine for M-ish effort in the conditions, but when slogging along at less than 20 min/mi they were nowhere near adequate. A woman offered me a hoodie, which I quite gladly put on. Somewhere around mile 24 I managed to throw up first around and then in (so as to minimize splashing) the bushes in the parking lot of a Del Taco restaurant and felt much better. Despite feeling much better after having thrown up my stomach still wouldn't let me run.

At some point around here (it's quite fuzzy) my coach (wearing a reindeer costume) and his wife passed me on her way to a 3:00:low finish (7:10/mi goal pace my arse). At least this time the only person I saw pass me while wearing a costume was a guy who's *almost* OTQ levels of fast, quite unlike what happened in Dallas.

Insert more trudging along. Around mile 25 a volunteer offered me a space blanket, which I took and wrapped around myself. I was feeling better, but still unable to run. In the last 1/2 mile I saw a couple people doing the "100 mile ultra lean", which I've never seen during a marathon before. In the last 20 meters or so of the race I saw a guy ahead of me (clearly far worse than I was) whose legs locked up stiff toddle back and forth for a couple steps before pitching head-first into the roadway, completely unable to even catch himself. I went to try helping him up and asked if he was OK, but he didn't say a single word. Another man who seemed to be some sort of volunteer also came to help and yelled to others across the line to get a medic, but there was no response to this at all. The man who fell had busted his head open and was bleeding decently (and had the presence of mind to collect his hat as we stood him up), but this other guy and I managed to get him up and help him across the line before someone came up with a wheelchair for him.

Third marathon blowup in a row (sick during Dallas, went out too fast for the conditions in Ft. Worth, don't know what caused this). I feel like I'm due for a good race!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Keen, I'm really sorry to hear that. OTOH I was imaging a really serious injury and I'm glad it's just a terrible stomach. What was your nutrition plan day of and on the race course? You've probably mentioned it before but did you eat during your M-paced workouts?

yes, you are due and your fitness certainly wasn't what let you down here.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen dude this breaks my heart. You're overdue for a good race in my honest opinion. What did you think about the first turn and my advice to stay wide because everyone will try to cut the corner? Do you think taking gels less often would help? Perhaps the stomach was too full? There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for your body to just stop at mile 22 with how much you train and race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I feel like I'm due for a good race!

I'm so glad you're still in positive spirits. It's so hard when you have a down race to stay positive, but that fitness isn't going anywhere. Your race report was pretty funny, in a sad kind of way, like making sure you knew which parking lot you were vomiting in.

I can give you a lot of advice on stitches as someone who has battled them in every single race, so let me know if you want the info. I've found ways to mitigate them, but I have yet to avoid them completely. Sounds like you had something else going on though if you vomited too. I do agree with RP though that it's very bizarre because this is not a training issue: absolutely no reason your body should have shut down like that if it was a training issue.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - that's is so heart breaking. I second the question about nutrition the morning of and during the race, is that exactly the same you take during your long runs?

I wonder if for some reason traveling messes up with your body not having access to the same foods.

It could be gels or other nutrition not going down easily (I took only 3 during my race, I couldn't stomach more).

Or it could maybe be related to low blood sugar / high blood sugar. But the way your body just shuts down, it could even be a peak of anxiety (That could cause the nausea + shutting down).

Something different that happens during a marathon but not in a half or shorter races, something is different in there I guess.

Sorry I know you didn't ask any body to help you troubleshoot this it's just my software developer brain taking over.

Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about that and I hope you can recover adequately and quickly from that.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry I know you didn't ask any body to help you troubleshoot this it's just my software developer brain taking over.

I think a lot of us are like that, especially with someone as Keen: it kills me to see such a good poster here put up an absolute monster of a cycle to get impacted by something like a stomach. Doesn't seem right and I want to use whatever little knowledge I have about my own shitty stomach (my number 1 demon in every race) to help him out.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

So sorry Keen, this is a tough one for you to take on the back of 2 similar experiences.  It's getting harder to work out what's going on given your beastly training.  No way is your body not capable of a good race with what you put up in training.  I agree with JMac and Flavio that trouble shooting may not be what you need just yet....but it's hard not to try and solve this!  The only things I can think of are perhaps a steeper taper, but that's more of a legs issue than a stomach issue.  When it first seemed like things were going wrong my first thought was "damn, he really needs a race on home soil".  Are there any reasonable sized races on a fast course you can do where you can sleep in your own bed?  Or at least just have a short drive the day before?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

When it first seemed like things were going wrong my first thought was "damn, he really needs a race on home soil".  Are there any reasonable sized races on a fast course you can do where you can sleep in your own bed?  Or at least just have a short drive the day before?

I thought the same. Maybe it's something that happens when traveling.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I thought the same. Maybe it's something that happens when traveling.

If there's one man who can help with travel issues, it's you.

Marky_Mark_17

Gutted for you Keen, particularly after the massive training effort you put in.  The signs were all pointing to a very different outcome and I'm really sorry to hear it didn't pan out.

I guess you at least come away with new 5k and 10k PR's from this block, so that's something.  The stomach thing seems really weird though, hopefully JMac will have some good ideas.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"