My last run was.... (Read 1253 times)

Wandering Wally

13.2 miles yesterday.  Snow coming down.  It was like running in a snow globe.

Melody - Nice tip about the gels.  They do get kind of chewy when frozen.  Last year I started putting one in my mitten every time I took one.  That way I always had a "warm" one ready to go.  This year I'm experimenting with some other things.  Yesterday I took a little bag of M&M's with me.  Found out they freeze too, but if I suck on them for awhile they thaw.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

degregorius

QUESTION: 

I have noticed that when I complete a 9+ mile run, I feel completely drained. Id like to shower and take a nap. Heck, Id almost skip the shower Im so drained. Today, I drank 24 oz milk had some blueberries, thinking it was a carb issue. Then I had a coffee with cream and sugar and I felt, not so drained. Also, I usually dont eat before running. And I sweat a lot. I drank about 20 oz of my water/sportsdrink mix and ran out near mile 8. Thanks in advance for any advice.

How often do you do a 9mile plus run?  Also: how old are you? If you're 50 something like me, it's going to take a while to recover.

If I go on a long run i.e. 10-11 , miles, I'll have gel beforehand, and  take another gel, an hour into my run.  Afterwards, a lot of milk for the protein recharge & ice packs on the knee.  Yep, after a shower & a meal, I have to snooze.

It takes me 48thours to recover from a long run.

13.2 miles yesterday.  Snow coming down.  It was like running in a snow globe.

Melody - Nice tip about the gels.  They do get kind of chewy when frozen.  Last year I started putting one in my mitten every time I took one.  That way I always had a "warm" one ready to go.  This year I'm experimenting with some other things.  Yesterday I took a little bag of M&M's with me.  Found out they freeze too, but if I suck on them for awhile they thaw.

M&Ms sounds yummy, love the peanut ones ............ and even better with red wine Big grin .......... probably end up at happy hour on my run, haha!! On my trail runs, I have to make sure I have something with me as water is not always available compared to running on roads.

I take hammer gels usually on my long runs of 10+ miles, along with water (wear hydration belt).  But I drink HEED mixture  on my runs of over 2 hours, and take turns drinking water too.  I end with a recovery drink of chocolate soymilk and a meal within the hour.  Been working pretty well for me so far.

That's a great run!!  WAY TO GO!! Marvelous, right?  running when it is snowing, just did that today Smile

I did 19km (about 12 miles) in the snow, my first long run from the official start of my marathon plan.

However I'm in a new city, so I kept getting lost  in the park. it ended up being more of a run-walk event because of that, but at least I feel fine at the end :-). Hopefully the long run next week will be smoother.

That's the way it goes when you're a new kid on the block, right?  Glad you found your way home, Wink.  I incorporate the run-walk-run method on all my training runs (prefer trail running) and it has improved my overall performance, and lessen recovery time, less fatigue/stress/aches.  Not bad for a 52 yr old Joking.  WAY TO GO on your 12 miles, and good luck on your marathon goal~~

OGR44

Good day - found the site - I'll see if I remember to post.....

Last run was 10K on saterday -  of which the first 5k I did in under 35 Min.  First time I was under 35 min for 5k since knee injury last march.  My new goal is to break 34 min next!

weather was 32 and snow flurries...

degregorius

The Y is on the way home from work, so I stopped there to do a six mile run on the track.  It's a short track so that's 192 laps.  This is the closest I come to being a whirling dervish.

I had second thoughts about running indoors because it was warmer (i.e 40F) and dry,

If it's going to be like this tomorrow, and if the rain holds off....

jmsab23

Rest day Sunday. Tonight I did both preset workouts on the TM -- 25 min. with various higher speeds and lower inclines, and then the 20-minute run with a long stretch of high-incline (9 and 10.0), medium pace.

Registered for the April 6th half-marathon last night -saved $5 by registering early. Woo hoo. Now I'm committed to both the HM, and to praying for nice temps/weather.

NHLA..... 15 miles - That's a "hats off" to you.

OGR44.... Good to see you. Keep working your way back.

mjsmith.... That's a lot of time out there in the falling snow - too aggravating for me.

Degregorious.... 192 laps???? That IS a short track!!

Everyone have nice days.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

CT JEFF

a six mile run on the track.  It's a short track so that's 192 laps.

0.03 Miles? = 50 meter track? 

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Wandering Wally

No last run to report.  Yesterday was rest and recovery.  Heading out into the fog tonight though.  My plan is to start out slow and then pull back.  I want to get to where I stay in my aerobic zone the whole time.  Might have to incorporate some run/walk segments to do that.

Run!  Just Run!

I had such a nice 5.21 mile run this afternoon (now I know my 5 mile run has an extra .21 by using the map tool on this site) Hey, .21 adds up over the months and months that I've run that course! Big grin It was beautifully warm at 37 degrees. Honestly, it felt down right balmy! Loved it.

OGR44 great to see you over here! By the way, all my Active.com buddies (and anyone else)...we also have a cozy group forum here.

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

degregorius

0.03 Miles? = 50 meter track? 

something like that.  32 laps per mile.  If no one else is on the track, I'll run backwards on the straights, or sometimes to sideways cross steps.  It adds variety, and mitigates against any repetitive muscle strain.

CeeDotA

Just a quick tempo pace 5K. Skipped my 5miler on Sunday due to insomnia and knee pain, so it felt good to get back out and run. Eight miler tonight.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

Great work CeeDotA!

Nice 3.42 run in the heavy fog this morning. Hubby had my truck, so I opted to run on my (somewhat busy) road rather than drive to my favorite route. That meant leaving my running buddy/dog because the road is very difficult to run with her (much too busy with no shoulder or sidewalks). But, it was fun to change things up a bit and to run solo. I wore a hot pink jacket & hat plus carried a little flashing light since visibility was next to zero.

*My Art Website  *My Run For The Critters

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon  PRs:  5K 31 • 10K 1:09 • HM 2:43

July 29th, 2017 Jug End Loop Ultra (Half MarathonTrail Run) 

Easy slow 2 miles before the wife and kids woke up. Unfortunately, my phone (/gps/mp3 player) freaked out a bit in to the run, and called my wife without me realizing it... Waking up the DW in the pre-dawn hours does not make for a uncranky morning... Wink Bought her a cup of coffee, and all is well again Big grin

2014 goals:

1. Run a minimum of 1.5 miles every single day of the year

2. Run 1500 miles in 2014

3. Get my weekly mileage above 40

4. Brown belt in Shaolin Kempo

5. First Half (Oregon Wine Country HM?)

6. PRs: Sub-21 5k, Sub-45 10k, Sub-45 Spartan Sprint, Sub 1:55 HM (Oregon Wine Country HM)

Wandering Wally

Wet!  5.1 miles last night in the slush/slop/melt water/pouring rain.  Yuck!  Tonight should be better with just ice and snow to contend with.

Run!  Just Run!