two times a day? (Read 145 times)

jsimms435

I started running about 9 weeks ago.  I work out about 5-6 times a week.  I have never gone running twice a day before.  I am not happy with my work out this morning and did treadmill and then did some stairmaster and then leg weight exercises.  I was thinking about going running again tonight.  Do any of you all do this or is this too much?

paul2432

During the peak part of a marathon cycle I’ll run twice a day a couple time a week to get in extra mileage.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Honestly, you sound a bit obsessive and disordered.

First of all, if you’ve only been running for 9 weeks, you do not need to be running doubles. If you have a bad run, so what. There’s always tomorrow. And recovery and rest is just as important to your progress as “good runs.”

And also, since you are so new to running, doing this kind of stiffness is a recipe for burnout.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Oh gosh, we've all had runs like that!  Honestly, I find that if you just chill out the next day's run is usually a whole lot better.  If you run again tonight you might compromise tomorrow's run because you add unnecessary fatigue.  AND tonight's run might not be all that better.  Doubles can be a good addition to training but you are better off having them as part of a planned program than ad-hoc.

Don't beat yourself up about one bad run.  

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

jsimms435

Honestly, you sound a bit obsessive and disordered.

First of all, if you’ve only been running for 9 weeks, you do not need to be running doubles. If you have a bad run, so what. There’s always tomorrow. And recovery and rest is just as important to your progress as “good runs.”

And also, since you are so new to running, doing this kind of stiffness is a recipe for burnout.

wow, I'm obsessive and disordered hu?

I guess that's better than being a jerk and judgmental

Joann Y

I guess that's better than being a jerk and judgmental

Ha!

oldfartrunner

I started running about 9 weeks ago.  I work out about 5-6 times a week.  I have never gone running twice a day before.  I am not happy with my work out this morning and did treadmill and then did some stairmaster and then leg weight exercises.  I was thinking about going running again tonight.  Do any of you all do this or is this too much?

You can do whatever you want of course, but it might be more prudent to build the singles up first into the 30-40mpw range first before adding doubles. Take your time building a good base because faster running flows from this base- getting your body ready for the rigors of faster running so it don't break down. Here is a good discussion about this subject. Doubles allow you to do more work than a single run-when the single run get's too long that you will not recover properly to run the next day. Smile

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009/10/is-9mi-once-better-than-45mi-twice.html

BeeRunB

Why aren't you happy with your run? What happened or didn't happen that you were looking or not looking for?

kilkee

runktrun

Doubles can have many physical and mental benefits, but I echo oldfart's sentiments:

Try building mileage slowly in singles, first, see how you feel at 40 mpw for a few weeks, and then cautiously add in an easy double once a week. Don't run doubles to "make up for" a disappointing first run.  Going hard on your first run, then going hard on a second run to try to "do it better" is a recipe for burnout.  If your morning runs aren't great, try to evaluate why rather than just try again.  Maybe you're actually not recovered enough from a previous session and a double would just make things worse.  Even if you just want to run doubles for the sake of running because running is fun, be mindful that you don't overtrain and dig yourself into a hole.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

paul2432

It always amazes how averse people are to answering a simple question- “do you run doubles?” in this case.  In your responses so far I’m the only one who actually answered the question.

jsimms435

Why aren't you happy with your run? What happened or didn't happen that you were looking or not looking for?

I've been disappointed overall with my level of progress the last 9 weeks.  I was able to run for about 30 minutes by the end of the first month, but now I am often very tired after only 20 minutes or so and stop and walk.  I will walk for a while and then run some more and then walk again for about 45 minutes. Today when I started running I felt very fatigued and started walking early.  It makes me feel like I am making no progress.

So today instead of walking for most of the 45 minutes I switched to the stairmaster machine and did 20 minutes on it and then went to the weights.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

It always amazes how averse people are to answering a simple question- “do you run doubles?” in this case.  In your responses so far I’m the only one who actually answered the question.

It always amazes me how people are seemingly illiterate. OP also asked “IS THIS TOO MUCH?” Next time read before you post acting all smarty-pants.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Jsimms, I’m guessing you’re probably doing too much too soon, especially if you are also doing lifting and other types of exercise. It’s hard to tell, because I don’t know what pace you’re running at. If you’re running too fast, of course you’re going to be tired, and if you’re not taking any rest days, or running after a hard run or weights day, you’re going to run like crap. You can’t expect to be at a level 10 every day. You need easy days and rest days to make progress. This goes for any sport but I’ve found it to be especially true with running. My everyday run pace is about 2.5 minutes per mile slower than, say, my 5K race pace. I only do one long run a week and one workout day (if that! I’m not as consistent with hard workouts nowadays). I vary the number of miles I run per day. I take 1-2 days off per week—completely off. No running, no weights, no nothing. Running a second run in one day IS, in fact, too much, from what I’m able to tell.

oldfartrunner

Oh.. Thanks Paul,  but he did ask if this was too much, too. Smile ... Yes I do, and I'm just starting them mostly to try and stop the down hill slide as I get older, and to get a double dose of HGH to help heal up a nagging hammy-maybe.  I only run 1/2-5K, not marathons. Was mid forties and now shooting for 60ish in mileage, and I only run 5 days a week.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Jsimms, do you track your runs? If you do, consider logging your running and cross-training on RA. It makes it much easier to get good feedback because others can see what you are doing.

I do not run doubles. At most, I run into the mid-30s for weekly mileage and I don't feel that warrants doing doubles. I'm not looking for the mileage volume doubles would give me and I think to do doubles without increasing my mileage would decrease my miles per run too much.

If you are doing too much, your body will tell you. First it will be your energy levels and how tired you are. If you don't listen, you'll be dealing with an injury. You haven't talked much of pace. That's a big factor. The phrase you'll see a ton around here is mostly easy, sometimes hard. Easy means you could carry on a conversation while running. Make sure you aren't racing every run. And remember, the way to improve your running is to run. Stairmaster and weights are good for fitness and strength, but they won't improve your runs more than getting out and doing the running.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.