Heat and Difficulty of Running (Read 1528 times)

Spin Chick

I just ran my third 5K and it's the only one I've done any training for.  A bit of training, from distance work to some fartlek and tempo runs.  This training was only about 2 weeks for the speed work, as I had been concentrating on cycling.  I really didn't do any training for the past 2 5Ks (this same race), so I was thinking my time would be better.  It wasn't.  It was worse.   By about 30 seconds.

It was brutally hot, with a temp of around 95 and a heat index of around 100-105.  I was prepared for the heat, I thought, as I've been working out outside for the past 2.5 months.  Usually I go out to run after the sun has gone down, so the high temps I'm running in have been 80 to 88 degrees.

I tried to incorporate some faster pacing after my first mile, a bit of fartlek, knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep up the pace. 

Unfortunately, I had a really difficult time in miles 2 and 3. 

So I'm wondering if anyone could give me any feedback based on this?  How much of my performance can I attribute to the higher heat, and how much to my concentration during the race?

I'm tempted to sign up for another 5K in a month or so, just to see if I can do better!

Thanks.

Smile

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

It was hot, don't worry about it, run another one and hope you get better weather.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

leahael

Usually when i am running a 5k or something similar, the first lap/mile is always going to be your best because your not as tired in the beginning and you just start running. But then your time will go down each lap because you are getting tired and also the heat and the hot sun will start to really impact you and you will start getting dizzy or all of the sweating will start to kick in. I actually just went for a run and I was sweating like crazy too and i eventually started to really slow down alot. I never compare myself to my other past races that much, so just worry about finishing when you run and be glad that you finish. I do compare myself to my best time that i have always ran and i work up to it and I try to improve. Maybe you should cross train during the day or something too in a nice air conditioned gym. Plus it helps to over-run what your training for, like if its a 5K for example, practice running for 4 miles or even 6 just so you know you can do that.  Smile

Anyways, Good Luck and Happy Running!!!!

Scout7

CPT Curmudgeon

You tried to run faster in much worse weather, after doing a higher volume of training, and struggled through the last two miles while thinking you might be able to run some of it at a faster than sustainable pace.  Did I get that all right?

Based on your statements, I'd say it sounds like you tried to cram in some harder efforts right before the race and you were not properly recovered.  Additionally, it sounds to me like you went out way too hard in the first mile, especially considering the conditions.  In fact, you said you knew you wouldn't be able to maintain the pace you were running.  So why try to run a pace you already know is unsustainable?  Do that in training, not in a race.

The heat effect basically made your effort that much higher, which is what killed the rest of your race.  The biggest thing you could do right now is to focus on learning how to understand and manage your effort levels, and to work on consistency in your training.

This training was only about 2 weeks for the speed work,

This is probably not what I'd do.  For me it takes 7-10 days for any hard effort to be helpful, any closer than that to the race day means I am not fully recovered from that workout and at my best for the race.

As far as Temps go, anytime its over 85 degrees all bets are off, never know how I'll react to the heat.   Yesterday's run in similar conditions as yours was just about all I could handle and the pace was at least 30-45 seconds slower than I can run at the same effort and HR in cooler weather. 

Most can run a 5K just about as frequently as you want and just doing it over and over can help our performance a lot, so go ahead and sign up for that race in a month and try not to cram in harder workouts close to the race and you might surprise yourself.

Spin Chick

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I really appreciate it!

Spin Chick

Does anyone recommend Hal Higdon's 5K training?  Any different suggestions?

dallasboycows

not sure how accurate it is but it is pretty close for me based on times i've ran indoors vs in heat.  http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

Totally not scientific at all, but I ran the same 5k course twice this summer as part of a series...  First race was high - 90s w/ heat index well over 100 and I ran my slowest 5k in years.  Second race was manageable in the 80s and I ran over 2 minutes faster.   When you look at my placing overall in both races, it's basically the same though.  Heat sucks for everyone... I'm considering the first my "Extreme 5k PR!" 

§ SIGNATURE§