Olympic Marathon (Read 1594 times)

Lazy idiot

...or in being unsure of how anyone could possibly beat Alan Webb.
    Alan Webb has lost a race in his lifetime? Wink

Tick tock

Mr R

You're right that people should be proud of their country, but not to the point of ignoring the rest of the world. Americans suffer from an unfortunate myopia, which manifests itself in being unsure of where the Iraq and the Asian countries are on a globe or in being unsure of how anyone could possibly beat Alan Webb. Canadians have a problem with not being proud enough of our athletes and their accomplishments.
      It's not spot on; it's a ridiculous generalization. Since it's impossible to argue about the collective character of a nation of 300 million, I'll focus on responding to the question of American attitudes towards our distance runners. Since the 90s, the American attitude has been one of universal pessimism. It's ironic that you selected Webb as your example, since he is the American runner who has been subject to the most derision by Americans, ever since his days at Michigan. It's not myopic to say that Webb was the best miler in the world last year. He was. He had the fastest mile and 1500 times. He also won the most competitive 1500 of the season. He set records. He beat Lagat twice. It's was also not myopic to say that Hall will run a 2:06, that he was the best 2:08 marathoner in the world, and that he's in a different league than Kibet. The events of yesterday showed that it was an accurate assessment.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

The Greatest of All Time

It's not spot on; it's a ridiculous generalization. Since it's impossible to argue about the collective character of a nation of 300 million, I'll focus on responding to the question of American attitudes towards our distance runners.
        I should have been more careful. I was affirming the statement about America being myopic with regards to Iraq and Asian countries, and didn't mean to comment about American attitude towards distance running in general. We can all discuss the later after Beijing.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          I removed my post. This was definitely a go-nowhere discussion.
            No one could fathom that Webb would lose? I kind of remember at least as many Webb haters as Webb sycophants on Letsrun last Summer. Not to mention the perils of using an anonymous internet message board as the barometer of a nation's overall knowledge of anything.

Runners run

Lazy idiot

At the risk of being a party pooper, I'm willing to suggest that we all put down the OGR (Over Generalization Ray) and play nice. It's getting a little ridiculous in here.

Tick tock

Just like an Ohioan to poop on a party.

Runners run

Lazy idiot

Just like an Ohioan to poop on a party.
                  We've been doing it to the BCS National Championship game the past two years. Why not keep a good thing going?

Tick tock