VO2 max and running (Read 152 times)

oldfartrunner

Hi OFR,

If you have time, would you mind filling in the details? Specifically:

*Heel drops/raises w/dumbbells: how many reps/sets?

*Step ups: same questions + step height? Holding weights?

*Which hamstring exercises?

Already do heel drops + core, but need more work between knees and waist.

Thanks, Christine

I do 3 sets of 15 each leg, 3 times a week. I only use 15lbs in the same hand on the same side I'm working. And I do after a run or later in the day, and just use the small 6" step for these. Just use a weight you feel comfortable with. You don't want to do too much so as to hinder your running.

I do 2-3 sets of these step ups(depending on how beat up my legs are), but only 10 reps each leg with 15lbers in each hand. I do a high knee after I step up. The second set I go side to side without a high knee, the third, back to stepping up from the front. 12" step. If you are taller, the 18" might be better, but it puts too much stress on my knees-I'm 5'-7".

I warm up with one set of single leg 1/2 squats-leg back for 10 reps, out front 10-each leg. This brings in a stability element too- before the weights.

I like the elevated single leg hamstring lifts (about 2 mins in the video) The stability ball rolls are good too. Both work the butt and hammy together and have a stability element. You have to tighten your core and keep a neutral pelvis, and on the single legs, you have to keep your pelvis from drooping to the side-which is what you want when running too. You can start with the floor one.

I do a modified version of the "paper plate" one- eccentric legs slides  (about 3:20). Double paper plates, sit on floor with heels in the paper plates extended out, lean back on your hands, raise your butt/hips up level keeping a tight core and neutral pelvis, and bring your feet in and out slowly. You can vary the pressure, and spread your legs to work the hammy a little different. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXAgNofkgkY

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Hi OFR - thanks for all of the info! I'm about 5'6" so your step heights ought to work well for me. Happy running! --Christine