My Fall Marathon. (Read 1276 times)

I raced a 15k back in March at a 7:18 pace.... This just seems quite fast for my marathon pace... So, shooting 7:30-7:40 would be ideal?
      I raced a 15k back in March at a 7:18 pace.... This just seems quite fast for my marathon pace... So, shooting 7:30-7:40 would be ideal?
      Your 1:08 15K is pretty fast for someone looking only to break 3:45 for the full, so I think you have some flexibility in setting your LT paces. Maybe try the first two miles at 7:40, and depending on how it feels, you can drop it down to 7:30 for the last two. When the workout is completed, if you conclude that the LT miles felt a bit too easy, you can try more aggressive pacing on the next LT workout (e.g., doing all four LT miles @ 7:30, or even dropping down to 7:25's or 7:20's). Remember, LT miles or supposed to feel "comfortably hard." If you don't push yourself, you won't get the benefit.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I just don't understand the difference in my 15k time as opposed to how I was able to run the marathon. My 15k actually felt comfortable and challenging at the same time. Part of it was adrenaline from the race, but my breathing and all was really good on a challenging and hilly course. When plugged into McMillan, my marathon time should be much lower....does this mean I am being to conservative on my training for the marathon and I am actually capable of running faster or what?
          When plugged into McMillan, my marathon time should be much lower....does this mean I am being to conservative on my training for the marathon and I am actually capable of running faster or what?
          Not to be too blunt about it, but hell yeah. I'd bank on you having a 3:30 or better marathon in the near future. But, only if you put in the miles. Lots of miles. How many miles? Can't say. No one can. Getting through the Pfitz 55 plan is good start though.

I just don't understand the difference in my 15k time as opposed to how I was able to run the marathon.
            MTA: Not hard to understand at all. Your marathon training peaked at only 44 mpw. Clearly that's not enough training volume for you to take your inherent speed and carry it over the marathon distance.

Thanks a lot Berner. My running has been very lethargic lately. I haven't really had the motivation, but if anything, that's a good step in the right direction of motivation. The Pfitz plan is a big step for me, but I'm just trying to remember that I'm going to PWN my former PR....
              derek

My book never got here. Girlfriend is picking me up a copy, I'll see her next week. That brings up an important question for me...tomorrow is week 3 day 1, which brings up 8 mi w/ 4 mi. At what speed am I supposed to run the 4 mi portion?
                When I created the training plan generator, I abbreviated a lot of the Pfitz workouts which is why you see cryptic things like "8 mi w/ 4 mi" or "7 mi w/ 10 x 100 m". If you have the book, you'll know what they mean :-) It was never meant to be used without the book which will fully explain each workout. Derek

Derek

derek

Nov. 1, 2008, the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon is the goal. Pfitz found here:http://www.roadtoboston.com/djapps/trainingPlans/genPDF/5/displayStartDay/1/planStartDay/1/Miles/schedule.pdf
                  I don't know if you knew this, but you can also put in the marathon goal date and the generator would create a plan that tells you exactly what to run with actual dates. E.g, for you Nov 1st race, you can use the following PDF: schedule.pdf

Derek