Rotator cuff / should injury (Read 1500 times)

Cool Jump Suit

I think I tore my rotator cuff, but I am not sure.  Last December went to the doc for my regular checkup and complained of shoulder pain.  At the time I could not lift my shoulder much above parallel to the ground and also complained about my lack of stregth as well.   He kind of blew it off and I let it go hoping it would heal and get better.  Well, it's almost 6 mos later and it's still a problem.  It seems symptomatic of the rotator cuff, but the pain seems more on the  front/back of the shoulder as opposed to the top (like this):

I still have a lack of stregth and consistent 5-6 (on a 1 to 10 scale) level of pain.  Anyone have any similar experiences with a similar injury?  Will this heal on its own?  It doesn't hinder my running, but it is awfully annoying.  

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

#artbydmcbride

I have had this.  It was confirmed by MRI and the orthopedic surgeon says it wouldn't heal by itself.  I got it sewn up and I am back at full range of motion and no pain (however that took one year of rehab)

Runners run

Get a referral to an orhtopedic surgeon, one who does shoulders. I've got a rotator cuff problem as well- not  bad enough for surgery- stretching and strengthening are what I'm doing now. PT can help. The surgeon ran an ultra sound on my shoulder as a diagnostic- if things are really messed up, I think that should show it. I know what you mean, though- various reaches give me a shot of pain-not life-threatening or anything, but a pain in the (shoulder) ass.

Cool Jump Suit

I have had this.  It was confirmed by MRI and the orthopedic surgeon says it wouldn't heal by itself.  I got it sewn up and I am back at full range of motion and no pain (however that took one year of rehab)

What determines if it will heal by itself?  Did you run during your rehab?

So bittersweet,
          This tragedy
          This melody,
          Inside of me,
          A twist of faith,
          A change of heart
          Cures my infatuation.
          A broken heart, 
          Provides the spark
          For my determination.

Cool Jump Suit

Get a referral to an orhtopedic surgeon, one who does shoulders. I've got a rotator cuff problem as well- not  bad enough for surgery- stretching and strengthening are what I'm doing now. PT can help. The surgeon ran an ultra sound on my shoulder as a diagnostic- if things are really messed up, I think that should show it. I know what you mean, though- various reaches give me a shot of pain-not life-threatening or anything, but a pain in the (shoulder) ass.

What specifically are you doing for PT?

So bittersweet,
            This tragedy
            This melody,
            Inside of me,
            A twist of faith,
            A change of heart
            Cures my infatuation.
            A broken heart, 
            Provides the spark
            For my determination.

What specifically are you doing for PT?

I have an rotator cuff excercise guide sheet with strenghteng using either isometrics, weights or resistance band. (You just pick one) I used weights for a while and decided they were a little too strenous. I use resistance band once a day. Then I  do some stretches, internal and external rotation, wall climbs.

If you want exactly what I do, let me know and I'll copy it word for word when I have the time.

Cool Jump Suit

I have an rotator cuff excercise guide sheet with strenghteng using either isometrics, weights or resistance band. (You just pick one) I used weights for a while and decided they were a little too strenous. I use resistance band once a day. Then I  do some stretches, internal and external rotation, wall climbs.

If you want exactly what I do, let me know and I'll copy it word for word when I have the time.

Good, I have some resistance bands.  And yes, weights are strenuous.....I've tried.  I will give it a whirl.  I am just not a big go to the doctor kind of guy.

So bittersweet,
                This tragedy
                This melody,
                Inside of me,
                A twist of faith,
                A change of heart
                Cures my infatuation.
                A broken heart, 
                Provides the spark
                For my determination.

seanster

ME

I had a bad shoulder that I lived with for years.  It was a deep pain that hovered just around the annoying level, but when it started waking me up at night I decided to get it checked out.  Actually turned out to be a labral tear.  I opted for surgery b/c PT wasn't helping.  Can't throw a baseball like I used to, but I don't notice it all the time like I used to.  Still have to do stretches and resistance work, but it helps that my sister is a PT. 

I did all sorts of online diagnosis, but seeing a professional and getting some imagining done was the smartest thing I did.  The shoulder is an unstable joint and lots of things can be "wrong."

§ SIGNATURE§

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you cannot elevate your arm above 90 degrees (= parallel with the ground) you may have either an RC injury/impingement or adhesive capsulitis.  Get it checked out right away, and by a doc who won't blow it off.  All the PT suggestions on this thread MAY help, but they may not.  You need a diagnosis.

I did all sorts of online diagnosis, but seeing a professional and getting some imagining done was the smartest thing I did.  The shoulder is an unstable joint and lots of things can be "wrong."

This is the best advice.  But here's what I do- these are from orhto surgeons and PT's- but they may not be specific for your problem.

Resistance band:

Internal rotaion: Attach band to doorknob/wall. Stand with right side to wall. Hold resistance band  with right hand. Bend elbow to 90 degree angle, hand facing frontward and elbow close to the body.Slowly rotate hand toward middle of the body. Return to startin position. Rpt 10 times. (This is for right shoulder internal rotation.  Revese it for left shoulder.)

External rotation: Attach band to doorknob/wall. Stand with left side to wall. Hold band with right hand. Start with right hand in middle of body, elbow bent 90 degrees. Slowly stretch band by moving arm outward until back of hand faces backwards.  Rpt 10 times. (This is for right shoulder, external rotation.)

The doc I saw also has me faceing the wall and pulling the band back along my side (away from wall), then face a way from the wall  and pull the band forward.(Again away from wall.)  I do 15 rpts, not 10 on all of these.

Here's the stretches;

Pendulum swings: stand and lean over. Begin swinging the arm in small circles and gradually enlarge the size of the circle. Rpt 10 times. ( I do 20 clockwise, 20 counterclockwise)

Rotator cuff stretch I: Stand or sit. Bend elbow at 90 degree angle, keeping elbows close to body, lower arms pointed forward ad parallel to the floor, thumbs pointed up. Move hand away from body until stretch is felt in shoulder. Hold for 30 seconds. Rest and repeat.

Rotator cuff stretch II: Stand in front of door frame, bend elbo at 90 degrees and place palm against door frame. Move forward to stretch rotator cuff.

Rotator cuff stretch III: Si or stand. Put hands on waist, thumbs facing forward. Bend at hips until body rests on lap if sittiing or parallell to floor if standing. Let arms hang toward floor to tretch the shoulder joint.

(I really feel I, II and III when I do them)

Back of shoulder stretch:Reach right arm across chest, use left hand to grasp arm just above elbow and gently pull arm further across body until you feel a stretch in the back of the shoulder. Hold for 30 seconds. Rest and repeat.

Overhead stretch: Place hands on edge of counter top. Bend upper body at hips in 90 degree angle. Reach and stretch shoulders.

Towel stretch- internal rotation: Place right hand behind back. With left hand,dangle towel behing back. Grasp towel with right hand. Gently pull right hand upward by raising left arm to stretch right shoulder. Towel should be in vertical position. Hold for 30 seconds.  ( This is for right shoulder)

Towel stretch external rotation: Place right hand behind back. With left hand dangle a towel behind back. Grasp towel with right hand. Pull right hand downward to stretch the left shoulder. Towel should be in vertical postion. Hold for 30 seconds. ( This is for left shoulder.)

Wall climb: Stand about 18 inches from wall. Face wall. Place fingertips of both hands on wall and walk the fingers up the wall until you feel a stretch in your shoulders. Hold for 10 count. Repeat 10 times.

Wall climb II: Turn sideways. Place fingertips on wall. Arm should be slightly toward the fron of the body, rather than straight to the side. About 30 degree angle to the front of the body.  Walk the fingers up the wall as high as they can go until you feel a stretch under the shoulder, without too much discomfort. Arm should be slightly toward the front of the body, rather than out ot the side- about a 30 degree angle ot the front of the body. Hold the stretch.

There you go.

#artbydmcbride

What determines if it will heal by itself?  Did you run during your rehab?

Beats me, I guess how torn it is and how separated the torn edges are from each other?

Yes, I ran all through rehab.  Cool  Actually was out running 2 weeks post surgery.

Runners run

Cool Jump Suit

Don't know much about shoulder surgery, but in general can it be done as an outpatient?  I will get a diagnosis soon.   Just concerned about cost as my health plan is a HDHP.  Confused

So bittersweet,
                          This tragedy
                          This melody,
                          Inside of me,
                          A twist of faith,
                          A change of heart
                          Cures my infatuation.
                          A broken heart, 
                          Provides the spark
                          For my determination.

chuckstone

If you cannot elevate your arm above 90 degrees (= parallel with the ground) you may have either an RC injury/impingement or adhesive capsulitis.  Get it checked out right away, and by a doc who won't blow it off.  All the PT suggestions on this thread MAY help, but they may not.  You need a diagnosis.

I had similar symptoms with both shoulders but a couple years apart.  First diagnosis was impingement, had arthroscopic surgery (outpatient), followed by PT.  Second time my other shoulder seemed (to me) to have the same problem.  Different doctor in the same practice - diagnosis capsulitis.  Cortisone injection, NSAIDs, and PT.  (I thought this doctor was wrong.)  Four years after 2nd one, both shoulders remain better, at least 95% back to normal.  I only occasionally do any exercises from PT.  Glad to have this fixed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sometimes capsulitis can complicate an RC injury.

Glad you recovered.

I had some sort of RC injury (on both sides!), I couldn't sleep on either side, couldn't lift arm much above horizontal.  I did some PT exercises but they didn't help much and may have worsened it.  So I played the waiting game.  About 9 months later,a shadow of improvement and then after a year, sudden and complete improvement.

I guess I had a lot of patience.  RC injuries take a long time to heal.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."