Weather Channel, you are silly (Read 850 times)

xor

What's the deal with the weather channel and weather.com naming winter storms like hurricanes.  Apparently we're up to some damn thing called "Freyr".

Why on earth do we need to do this????

Prince of Fatness

I don't think that it's just the Weather Channel doing that.  We already had a storm or two that were named and I didn't hear it there.  On the interwebs somewhere.

But yeah, that's just dumb,

Not at it at all. 

seanster

ME

Why the weather channel is naming winter storms...

Just read this yesterday.  Seems like an insurance nightmare.

§ SIGNATURE§

xor

Actually, it does seem to be a weather channel thing.

Here's their official statement.  Which also lets me know I missed Brutus.  Brutus.  Heh.

And NWS no like.

Prince of Fatness

Actually, it does seem to be a weather channel thing.

I stand corrected.  I don't watch them much.  Which means that other channels are tagging along with this whole thing.

And good for the NWS, 'cause it's stupid.

Not at it at all. 

Revenge of the Nerd

It won't be long until winter storms usurp another key feature of tropical storms: the dreaded Cone of Uncertainty

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Mr MattM

Perhaps we should start naming comet topic threads?

be curious; not judgmental

Kalsarikännit

Apparently TWC couldn't find a ridiculous name that started with the letter Q.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Apparently TWC couldn't find a ridiculous name that started with the letter Q.

Absolutely.  I mean if a storm can be called "Freyr" (WTF is that?!), then certainly a storm could be called "Querty", or I could list a whole bunch of "Q" names.  (Scrabble player, yes I am, on occasion....)

I am personally a huge weather buff, in my young years when the named storms were coming (In the summer of course in the good old days), I was driving towards them when everyone else was driving away.  But TWC has indeed taken it too far by naming winter storms, in my opinion.   Not to mention the "TorCon" Risk (TWC) and the "RealFeel" Temperature (AccuWeather.com) and all these other ridiculous things that guys are inventing so they can say they were the guy who came up with the fabulous idea. (TM Restricted).   Next thing you know, they will be naming each of the worst of the Tornadoes.  (When they get to "k", might as well use my name.) :-)

It is bad enough that the Weather Channel has been converted to "Drama in Real Life" for about 21 hours out of the day.  No weather radars or forecasts to be found.  But even worse that on the 3 hours or so that they actually do weather, it is more about what the twitter weather trends are (I have touched on this before), and that every guy on TWC is trying to copyright his own torcon thing, or winter storm thing, or etc.

Actually, forget naming a Tornado after me, how bout a lightning strike?  Or maybe a long, sucky, cold rain....  :-D

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

xor

FWIW, they skip Q for hurricane names too.  But oddly not X (edit: in the pacific.  They do skip X in the atlantic).

Meat Wagon

Puker

I barely survived the clutches of Winter Storm Caesar and Winter Storm Draco. I think it's nice that I can curse at a particular name and focus my anger and frustration during our blizzards. Shaking my fists at god was getting tiring, and it just seems like overkill to me.

I'm attempting to save up all of my laughter for the inevitable 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS!' jokes during Winter Storm Gandolf (and yes, geeks, I know it's supposed to be Gandalf). It's gonna be hilarious for the first couple of hundred times I hear it.

The jokes will also write themselves during Winter Storm Khan, but I think they missed an opportunity by using Nemo for 'N'. Personally, I would've gone with Newman.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

sugnim

It's snowing here now.  I'm going to name this little storm Gertrude.

A Saucy Wench

By Jove, I hope Jove is a good one

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MrH

If the Weather Channel used the same name for every storm they could save a lot of money on programming?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

TWC was TLC'd years ago. It's the weather version of Honey Boo Boo. But somebody must be watching it.