How do you do it? (Read 347 times)

npaden

The motivational deal for me on the GYMPact is to not have to pay the $5.  That's what gets me out the door sometimes when I don't really want to.  You can actually set it to charge you as much as $50 for a missed workout.  The $5 is enough motivation for me.

Getting paid the tiny bit for each workout is nice though as it adds up over time.  Not many other apps out there that you can earn $ just by working out.  I've cashed out $75 a while back and I'm almost to $150 that I will cash out in a few weeks.

Back to the OP's question.  You always have the time in your schedule, instead of plopping down on the couch or a chair for a break you just have to use that time to go for a run instead.  Might sound counter intuitive, but you are more than likely going to be more refreshed and feel better after a 30 minute run than you would from sitting on the couch for 30 minutes.  It really helps clear my mind.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Dream Maker

It's a choice.

I'm not working now but with a 8 week old have to work around hubby's work schedule.  I wake up at 3:30 am to run before he leaves for work at 6.  He usually runs at 7:30 pm right after dinner while I get the kids in bed.  An hour to run each day adds up and isnt so much to ask.  Just run straight from the door- don't take time to go somewhere, and get ready fast, no dawdling.

It was harder as a single working mom with no 3 am childcare but I managed.  You just have to understand it as a priority. 

Some things do have to give. I personally suggest chores. Wink

undue monkey

Solid advice.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Dave

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Sound familiar to anyone?

Yes.

HappyFeat

Absolutely! Some of my best after-work runs have been on days I felt so wiped out from the workday that I doubted whether I'd make it even two steps.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Ojo

Another morning streaker (5+ years) here . . . I find the streak motivates me to get up early 6 days a week.  Sundays are my sleep in morning so I don't run until 8 am.    You need to decide what works for you and stick with it.

Sara

MM #2929

Half Fanatic #846

I find running less than 6 times a week very hard.  I typically run a 6-8mi easy run.  If my weekly mileage goals are less than 30, I find running a complete struggle to fit into my life.  Between 45 and 65 things are pretty good.  After 65 (up to around 90), I find it pure totalitarian bliss; my life becomes very simple: I'm either sleeping, eating, working or running.  Also, since it usually includes doubles, there's no chance to wake and say, "I'll do it later", because you have another run later that day.  Below 30mpw I bargain with myself, "well, I'll take today as a rest day, instead of tomorrow . . .".  And honestly, it's pure torture to summon the will to get out into challenging weather.  When I remove choice, there's just nothing to think about -- and so it's very very easy.

Thanks for this, stadjak!

I've been missing a lot of running days in the last three months - including 7 days in a row last month. Just lacking motivation, I guess. Anyway, now I'm back on track to run almost every day like I did before. Did 4 yesterday and 10 today, and I feel pretty good.  I think I'm back on track now!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

According to the Hygiene Hypothesis, the kids will be better off if the house is not antiseptically sterile.  Easier on the parents also.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

morning is really the only option.  And then don't make it an option.  Make it an obligation every day except rest day.

Never worked for me, but fortunately there are other options. Work was flexible enough, and had showers available, that I could run at lunch when desired, but my regular time was after work before I got home. I changed at work, drove to the track or wherever I was running that day, then went home. The important point is that I had a regular time built into my schedule for running.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Took a short break from running, streets are to damn slick, maybe Friday. Been hauling a backpack full of climbing shit all over New England for the past several weeks, get my cardio doing that. Plus, tons of push-ups and planks.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

To return to your original question, I'm going to guess you are newly running or newly returning to running.

Why not try 30 minutes of running, 3 days per week?  Run out 15 min, run back 15 min.  This would be a solid start, while you see how else you can adapt your schedule.  Make these 3 thirty minute runs mandatory, no skipping, no matter what.

Run.  Be happy.

With a full time, demanding job, wife, kids, chores, dinner, and bed time, how do you, or would you, balance running/working out? I would like to run more regularly, but there many days, durning the week, that it just doesn't seem possible.  Tips, suggestions, and advice are greatly appreciated.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                          5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

AhedRun

The truth is you have to be truly motivated and fully focused on your goals! Each succes is making you stronger and stronger. That''s a secret! If you want to organise your time, you have to be tough. Compromises and strong will - your two new friends

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Get out of bed at 3:30am and start running before you wake up and change your mind

Felix2

Just do what you think is right