2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

oregon:  Yep, it seems painfully slow from my perspective, but mostly now it's just trying to work myself back into shape.

Dad:  Interesting.  I've often felt that way at the end of 5Ks, that I just don't have the legs to push any harder even if my HR is still under control.  I'll be curious to see if that changes at all with a regular weights/bosu routine, once I get back into shape.  (If I get back into shape!)

Dwave:  Hopefully you'll get a breeze off of Lake Superior, which could keep things cool.  Fingers crossed.

Keen:  The town I grew up in also had no stop lights.  Lots of perks for kids growing up in a small town, imo.

70 minutes (7.9M) of continuous running for me this morning, with a few strides.  Once upon a time, that was an easy run.  Not now!  Knee felt fine...getting my hips used to this again is going to take some time, however.

Running Problem

Problem Child

DW Hopefully you get SC's luck with weather.

rlk I kind of want to do the Lake Tahoe Relay. Being unsupported isn't too bad if you've done it once. Just plan on bringing a cooler and HOPE it isn't 90+ at the lake that weekend. Looking over the course you could stop at Incline and Tahoe City for food/drinks/supplies. If you're back in Incline Village again hit up T's mesquite. The first leg, and the last 2 are definately hilly. We had a UPS truck come FLYING by Emerald Bay with a runner on the road for the RTO. Runner's comment...."He must have had an important delivery in South Lake."

Thankfully I can order just lenses but I KNOW they're going to be expensive. I also have the astigmatism so my prescription doesn't change much year over year. I thought one doctor told me mine puts the focal point behind my retina so it can be corrected whereas in front is harder....maybe I should see a "real" eye doctor and not just the one at Costco. As for the Jins....not my style. I can't stand sunlight coming in between my face and my glasses. I'm also not "hip" enough for those. I appreciate the suggestion though.

ilana I hope it clears out and the mask helps. Yosemite or something else south of us was on fire 4 years ago. It made for good wedding photos but EVERYONE was asking what we'd do about the weather. Hopefully they get it put out soon.

I'm trying to schedule workouts and weekly mileage is annoying.

Dilemma: I have a 2.5 hour drive Saturday. DW wants to go to the lake 1.5 hours away on Sunday to hang out with her father. I have 16 miles or 2 hours of running to do. 56 miles this week. 63 next. I'm at 23 for the week so far (Sunday - Saturday) with ~11 tomorrow so I need to run 22 miles. If I did 16 miles it's about 2:15 of running. 2 hours would probably be 14. This plan is the only one I've done where time matters over miles.

Should I:

1. Run 16 Saturday and avoid waking up Sunday with 2 hours of running to do and possibly tired from spending 5 hours in a car. Plan on doing double days to get enough miles to have a day off next week.

2. Stick to the plan. Do 16 before the lake (7:00am wake up call?) and only need to figure out 30 miles next week. Avoid possible leg discomfort from driving for 5 hours on the day of a long run.

I'm leaning towards 16 on Saturday. For one, I feel like I can show up to a graduation party (a week late) slightly later because I have a 6 month old, I'm driving 2.5 hours and it's a high school graduation (participation trophy?). Another thing is I'm telling myself almost all plans allow for moving workouts around and say "it's not the exact day you do it...blah blah blah" for this reason. It might also give DW a little more time to hang out with father even though we see him often because we live 30 minutes apart. Lastly, NeRP might throw a fit and require stopping along the 2.5 hours of driving making it closer to 3. The party starts at 1pm.

Part of me wonders how I'd feel with tomorrows 5x1K + 4x400/400jog workout going into the 16 miler with 2 days off. Kinda like Hanson's but it might hurt. I also know 16 miles is a lot of 63 (about 25.3%) and with the Wednesday workout it means I'd only need to do 33 additional miles. Without doing 16 on Sunday I need 10 miles a day if I want a day off.  Plus 2 hours of running Sunday morning wouldn't be bad if I'm home by 7 to relax. I can also get by the rest of this week with 6-7 mile runs. It might be nice doing just 6 miles Saturday morning. I might even be able to take NeRP and give DW alone time to shower or something.

EDIT: After looking at tomorrows forecast I'm doing the interval workout today. I'll cut the warm up short (2 miles instead of 4) and add on the number of miles I need later this week for the total. I don't feel like trying 6:20-30/mi pace in 92F with 16mph wind in the forecast is going to be beneficial. Today is going to SUUUUUCCCCKKKKK. At least the boss is gone so I won't get yelled at for being gone so long. Downside....I need to figure out lunch.

Oh and the heart rate monitor is working again. Probably knew it was getting replaced by Wednesday when my Father's Day gift shows up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

This is my writeup with photos of the smoke.

It's pretty bad right now, and I'm fighting another headache.  I've ordered a HEPA air purifier and an N95 face mask from Amazon and paid for next day delivery.  (The local hardware store is sold out of the good stuff.)  It would be a great time to go on vacation except for previous commitments.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Moving the workout seems like a smart move with that forecast. I'd lean toward the LR on Saturday, myself.

Ilana - Wow. Especially those morning/afternoon pictures. Totally jealous of your views from the new house.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

"A 4:30 slowdown is a tough pill to swallow, even if that was six years and 30 lbs ago."

Well, the 30 lbs. probably accounts for a full 3 minutes of that! Isn't the rule of thumb about 2 sec/mile/pound? It adds up for me based on PRs set when I was much younger and lighter.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Jim E

Hey, rlk, I saw that there were two(?) teams from your outfit there, but did not know you were around or I would have looked a bit harder on the early legs. Yes, you did leave us behind. Here we are clutching our MM 3rd place trophy.

We had fun. Support is mostly about water, since the legs are not super long (the longest is about a half marathon). So a carful of teammates will stop every couple of miles, hand you a water bottle and update you on who is ahead and how close they are.

There was a mixed open team from our club too, They were not super-fast by open standards, but left us in the dust in the early going. In the middle legs we realized we had gained some of that back. My leg was leg 6 (of 7), and While waiting there I wandered over and casually asked who their last two runners were. When I relayed this information to my team the reaction was "Game On!"

It takes a mile or two for us sea-level dwellers to settle in when racing at altitude, but after a while I was chugging along nicely. The team were stopwatching the diminishing gap between me and their runner and keeping me updated. I passed a couple of other teams and  got it down to under two minutes, which was all our anchor man needed to pass theirs about a mile from the finish.

My leg went past Emerald Bay, which was a mess of tourists and badly parked cars, and in addition it was super windy. A gust blew me out into traffic, but I didn't die.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Leg 6!

Everyone, Jim fails to mention that he ran Up A Goddamn Mountain but I will brag for him. 8.6 miles and i think it was 1500 ft of gain? And yes, lots of tourons and dumb people behind the wheel of heavy machinery. I ran down the other side of the hill that Jim ran up, and part of it was down to one lane for construction, with a concrete median and zero shoulder and a steep ridge and very heavy wind and a lot of very large vehicles with not a lot of people/stuff in them (sounds expensive, among other things) which bully you off the road. Fun times. I considered part of my support role there to be running in the road (we went against traffic) to slow down cars and give my racer enough space. Worked ok, neither of us were bullied or wind-blown off the road and down the ridge!

Yes, we had two teams. Our Opens did 8:20something and 40+ maybe 9:10? And one of our teammates was helping with the Sufferfest beer booth at the finish - we were well taken care of Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Leg 6!

Everyone, Jim fails to mention that he ran Up A Goddamn Mountain but I will brag for him. 8.6 miles and i think it was 1500 ft of gain? And yes, lots of tourons and dumb people behind the wheel of heavy machinery. I ran down the other side of the hill that Jim ran up, and part of it was down to one lane for construction, with a concrete median and zero shoulder and a steep ridge and very heavy wind and a lot of very large vehicles with not a lot of people/stuff in them (sounds expensive, among other things) which bully you off the road. Fun times. I considered part of my support role there to be running in the road (we went against traffic) to slow down cars and give my racer enough space. Worked ok, neither of us were bullied or wind-blown off the road and down the ridge!

We run that leg around 10:00pm for the RTO. It's awesome (sarcasm). I haven't run it yet but imagine just as much traffic (which is 98% participants) with no sunlight, runners on the road, Emerald bay is a relay exchange point, and half of the traffic is attempting to get to the Raleys in South Lake because they start running there. That's where the UPS van passed our runner. Oh, at the top of that "mountain" was where CalTrans put up a red light to make it 1 lane and didn't tell the race director. Seriously, you should try 27 hours together instead of just one day around the lake. Also, Dart Beverage exiting South Lake by Kingsberry Grade sells some great stuff...but you're in California so most of it probably gets to you.  I'd have requested some Pliny had I known you were coming.

Glad you had fun. Seriously, I want to do this race but it sounds more like a race than a relay. Glad you had fun on the switchbacks.

For those who want to check it out look at Emerald Bay State Park on Highway 89 on google maps. Enter Street view. Check out the tourist spots to pull over and take photos of the castle in the lake then follow the road to the switchbacks. For MY relay the red light was about where you see the construction worker in Google earth. rlk ran down the switchbacks. Now imagine it being dark and full of suburbans and 10 passenger vans driven by people who don't own either of these vehicles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Yikes. I pride myself (probably too much) on being a "brave" runner, but I would NOT want to do that in the dark.

PS brew better to look at vikingsholm from on a boat in emerald bay Smile did that with my dad last time he visited.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yikes. I pride myself (probably too much) on being a "brave" runner, but I would NOT want to do that in the dark.

PS brew better to look at vikingsholm from on a boat in emerald bay Smile did that with my dad last time he visited.

It's probably safer than anywhere max would take you in the middle of the night.

Fun fact: it was my first time seeing it. We also took a team photo right there and saw someone with the fancy DSLR camera. Our captain saw a face page post and commented it was probably the woman we saw.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I know this isn't exactly the time of year for it, but have you ever considered putting together an open-ended training cycle and just hopping into a race that looks like a favorable course and weather once you feel like you've hit that peak fitness?

Not quite how I could pull that one off.  It's doable for shorter races, where the taper is shorter than the extended forecast, and where there's plenty of fast local courses.  

But, for a marathon, I really need to start tapering BEFORE I know what the weather will be.   Plus, all the logistics about planning travel - booking flights, taking time off of work, etc.  It's really hard to do a marathon off-the-cuff and run to your full potential.

Brewing - I'm late, but I would have swapped the workout also.

RLK - I use the term "tourons" as well - I thought that was a local DC term - I guess not.

Jim - interesting on settling into altitude - I wouldn't have expected that.

Ilana - thanks for the blog post and the photos.  I have to admit, I was so struck by the beauty of some of them (not the ones of parked cars) that the smoke seemed secondary.  But....I don't have to breathe it.

Ran 8.5 miles today.  3 mile warm-up (8:26), then 4x800 at 2:59, 3:01, 2:58, 2:52.  2.5 mile cooldown (9:01) plus some very light injury prevention work at the gym.

BTW, if anyone wants to track, I'm bib F75.  Weather still looking less than perfect, but OMR makes a good point about the wind off the lake.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

Good luck, DW! Fingers crossed that you get some good weather, because I know your fitness is raring to go!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Strict WTF adherent

"A 4:30 slowdown is a tough pill to swallow, even if that was six years and 30 lbs ago."

Well, the 30 lbs. probably accounts for a full 3 minutes of that! Isn't the rule of thumb about 2 sec/mile/pound? It adds up for me based on PRs set when I was much younger and lighter.

My actual plan is to lose 100 pounds and take gold at every distance in the next Olympics.

XC tonight went as expected. Finished 6th AG at 25:00 flat, which is consistent with this weekend's 5K (I'm always about 2:00 slow on this course). Most of the people there know their competition for AG placement, and the guys I'm usually up against all like to kick. I was not born with the ability to kick, so I'm doomed from the beginning when I lack the confidence to take them out hard. At least we get to throw out our worst time for the series. Yes, I also know that racing two 5Ks in four days is dumb.

OMR - That's a lot of progress in a short time. I'm not sure that easy runs exist anymore though.

CK - Am I reading that right that you run 20 miles fasted? I'll do an hour, sometimes and hour and a half. But that's a whole different ballgame.

Strict WTF adherent

Ran 8.5 miles today.  3 mile warm-up (8:26), then 4x800 at 2:59, 3:01, 2:58, 2:52.  2.5 mile cooldown (9:01) plus some very light injury prevention work at the gym.

You're doing your Yassos wrong.

AceHarris

My actual plan is to lose 100 pounds and take gold at every distance in the next Olympics.

Haha! Best of luck.

Brew: I tried to follow your google maps street view directions, but had no idea what I was looking for. Regardless, it was pretty and there was lots of traffic.

Ilana: bummer about the fires and air quality, any word on containment?  We'll be out in Creede / Lake City in a couple weeks.  We've been derailed by fire on this trip in previous years, but everything looking good so far this year.

CK: speaking of flashing traffic lights, my parents town has one and it's at a 4-way stop, probably unnecessary.

Jim / RLK: nice relay running! Events like that are on my to do list.

OMR: 7.9 miles! That's moving in the right direction.

SC: legs feeling better yet?

Had a decent workout yesterday. 2 easy, 2 x 15:00 tempo w/ 3:00 rest, 2 easy. Totaled 8.8 miles. Goal was 6:20, but had trouble getting the turnover going. I averaged closer to 6:25. I was pleasantly surprised that breathing wasn't too bad at this pace, it was more an issue of the legs keeping pace. Feeling closer to being back in shape. THis was also my first run using a pre-programmed workout on my Garmin. It worked great, but with my erratic pacing, I got a lot of beeps  saying "SLOW".

My orthotics were adjusted yesterday, we'll see how they feel next run.

It's our 9 year anniversary today, I'm at work, wife home with the 3 kids. Luckily, my mom is kidnapping the older two kids tomorrow for the weekend and I"m off Friday!

We had a "code brown" at the neighborhood pool last night, had to cut our swim short.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)