MRI Results and prognosis (Read 794 times)

Now that was a bath...

Result - One bad fracture In medical talk - a stress fracture of the distal tibia extending over a craniocaudal length of 2cm. On axial images, linear signal abnormality extending through the cortex with endosteal deformity. Marrow T2 hyperintensity extends form this area inferiorly down the distal tiba where it develops a linear configuration orientated to the long axis of the tibia, extending from 9cm proximal to the ankle joint, to within 1 - 2cm of the ankle joint. Prognosis - Four weeks on crutches then further MRI. Concern for bone density (scan ordered). If no improvement in four weeks leg will be cast. No running until at least 2008. No walking at all without crutches, no lifting, no laundry, no vacuuming, no popping to the toilet in the middle of the night and forgetting the crutches. Doc said fracture hasn't healed at all in the 8 months since the race. With four children in the house and a Grandchild popping out and living with us at Christmas time - that's going to be really hard! Bastard concrete hills of Waiheke I will face you again and I will beat you! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    btb1490

I'm gonna look on the bright side here. At least you know what it is now. At least you know what to do to get better. You will get better, and it'll be here sooner than you think. "...no lifting, no laundry, no vacuuming..." Hey, that's a GOOD thing! Do what you have to do! If it means crutches to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, just do it. I did the crutches thing for 8 weeks once. Carry a backpack for your stuff. If at all possible in your house or out and about, I found that a wheelchair was way more manageable. You could put stuff on you lap and carry it around, and you still had use of your hands. I hate to say this, but I could still vaccuum in a wheelchair! And cook. And do laundry. Walking the dog became a challenge though... Yeah, it'll be hard. But it'll be worth it! Make the best of it as you can. Best of luck in your SPEEDY recovery! Looking forward to hearing about your first run up those hills! Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...that sucks! But Bob is right--now you know what you have to do and what to do to recover. It will be difficult with everything going on in your house, though. Maybe a wheelchair would be a good idea. 2008 should be a big year for you! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Claire, I'm so glad that you've finally got an answer. Not the best news, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel. When I first read "2008" I thought "Oh no!!" but it's really not that far, especially compared to what you've already been through. Hang in there. Smile
            sorry to hear your news claire. here's hoping for as speedy as possible a recovery and a great 2008 for you.

Now that was a bath...

Bone Density Scan went well. The woman said that I am low risk for Osteoporosis so I am guessing my results were within normal ranges. I get the proper result next week. Here's a song to brighten up this thread. I call it 'Crutches Suck'. Crutches suck Crutches suck Crutches suck Crutches suck Crutches suck lots They make your hands hurt Kooky sucks Kooky sucks Kooky sucks Kooky sucks Kooky sucks lots Her husband is happy Crutches suck Crutches suck Crutches suck Crutches suck Crutches suck and look stupid Where is that hot naked man? Eh?
                Nice song, Claire, but where's the verse about sloppy frappe?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Finished!

Oh Claire, I'm so sorry to hear it. Your song made me giggle though. Smile Swift healing to you. Here's to both of us running better in 2008!
                  Walk + Jog = wog.
                  I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                  I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Now that was a bath...

Mike - that verse got old, just like the batteries. Woodlandsprite!!!! Good to see a message from you. How are things going for you at the moment? Claire xxx
                      Now I'll have that song in my head all day long. Don't I feel silly!!! Confused

Michelle

Finished!

Woodlandsprite!!!! Good to see a message from you. How are things going for you at the moment?
                        Mending. Again. LOL. Who knew that the year would fly by and me still not really running. After all the Physical therapy for the shin splints (3+months I think) and then the new orthotic devices, I discovered the new orthotics didn't like my running shoes (apparently too narrow in the midfoot) which threw me into a whole shopping for shoes adventure - which did not get resolved until the beginning of this month (yes, my feet are that princess-like). I *think* I have shoes that work now, but then I went on a canyon hike and tripped on a felled tree. And landed on a hard rock(s) (and sticks). I discovered I still remember my first aid training - and that I didn't pass out after seeing the gash. Apparently, if I had been close to civilization and was able to get myself to a doctor, I would have been blessed with stitches - lots of them. Hooray. Battle wounds Smile Instead, I got steri-stripped and the flexing along the shin is enough to aggravate the wound - so I'm waiting for it to heal enough that I can hit the treadmill again. Thankfully the weather is cooling down, but I typically run on concrete surfaces. Add the poundage I'm carrying (working on it) and that is just a recipe for more shin splints (or worse) I think. So far, I've been playing around with the C25k program again, and training using low heart rate (Maffetone). It's dreadfully frustrating at times because it seems I can walk faster than I can run while maintaining my heartrate in the proscribed zone. I'm hoping 2008 proves to be a better year for running seeing as 2007 has proven to be such a bust Evil grin I'm really glad to hear that you have a diagonsis at least. My biggest fear is adding more time/distance and having the shin splints come back. Apparently I have hypermobile joints which only add to the problem. Regarding the crutches, are they padded properly? As with everything, I'm betting there is a proper "form" for using crutches that will hopefully minimize any discomfort in your hands/wrists.
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry