Weight/core training DVD recommendations? (Read 1672 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I want to start doing a couple of days of weight training and strengthening my core to benefit my running. I have a few Cathe Friedrich DVDs that I LOVE, but they are so gear-intensive that they turn into a real PITA to do, since I have to set up and tear down my equipment before and after every workout (I don't have a dedicated workout space where I can leave stuff out, so I have to drag out my step & risers, barbell and plates, dumbells, mat, etc.). Any suggestions of particular workouts that will enhance my running (I think my quads are in particular need of strengthening, as my knees have been a bit cranky of late and I know my lower abs tend to get really sore by the end of my runs once I get into the 13+ mile range)? I'd love something that uses no more than a mat, dumbells, resistance band, and maybe a medicine ball or other easy to store and use gear.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Check out "Building a Better Runner from the Ground Up." Lots of great body-weight exercises that are runner-specific.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I saw that on Amazon and wondered if it was good--it looks like what I'm in the market for, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

I've got it. Just be warned: some of the exercises are very difficult. You can preview them on the site I linked to. There's another good review of the video with excerpts (and a discount code) at Flotrack.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool, I'm definitely going to look at that some more.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Mark Verstegen is the "King Of Core Training". The below book is focused on endurance athletes http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594863520/ref=pd_cp_b_1/002-5276365-5445652?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=12RETRES8GJFZZPASJ8C&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=317711001&pf_rd_i=157954908X

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Check out "Building a Better Runner from the Ground Up." Lots of great body-weight exercises that are runner-specific.
                Perfect timing! Thanks - watched the link, and ordered it - discount code appreciated, although in my case, it just covered the shipping Roll eyes

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Beatin' on the Rock

http://www.bestabs.com/book/default.aspx I am going back to Shawn's method; worked best for me.
                  Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                  Scout7

"Run Strong". Has strengthening exercises for upper and lower body. Also discusses myriad other training topics.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"Run Strong". Has strengthening exercises for upper and lower body. Also discusses myriad other training topics.
                      I have this book (per your wise recommendation). I like it, too. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

After watching the flotrack preview, I liked that it had injury prevention exercises as well as running specific strengthening exercises. I can see that there are exercises on there that I won't even attempt Big grin I've done a lot of crosstraining. In my limited experience, having an overall strong body is a very good thing, as opposed to just core strengthing. I still want my abs to show Roll eyes, but realistically? I doubt that I will ever be able to get my body fat down that low and stay healthy. I wanted to get my weight down to reduce impact stress, but muscle weighs more, and I'm thinking that muscle is more important to injury prevention so I'm not so wrapped up in a specific goal weight number anymore, although I would like to get my BF down to around 15% - and while I don't think that's low enough to have abs that show, one can always hope.... Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Beatin' on the Rock

I'm thinking that muscle is more important to injury prevention so I'm not so wrapped up in a specific goal weight number anymore, although I would like to get my BF down to around 15% - and while I don't think that's low enough to have abs that show, one can always hope.... Wink
                          Right on.
                          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                            Kirsten, I just rented Denise Austin's Hit the Spot Pilates from the library. You dont need any equip, although I sometimes had a problem slipping a little bit on my rug. Its got alot of workouts for many areas of the body. I liked renting it so i could officially try all the workouts before buying it. yay libraries!
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Denise Austin...urge to kill rising. I cannot stand her... *cringes* I tried to give her a chance and have at least 2 of her DVDs, but I quit. She is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

~ Sarah Kay

If you know anyone with the P90X program, I highly recommend the Core Synergetics and Plyometrics workouts. Not only are they challenging but also fun. The Plyo is the only training I do for my legs and I can definitely say it has improved my running speed. It helped me cut 1:15 off my 5k time. And the Core exercises have improved my running form and I no longer have any lower back pain due to running.
                                2009 Goals: Under 4 hr marathon reach and maintain 125 lbs PR in at least 3 distances 1300 miles Complete my first Ultra