The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food (Read 181 times)

Walk-Jogger

This article in the New York Times Magazine about the addictive nature of junk food is worth reading. It's 14 pages long, so give yourself a good block of time, if you're a slow reader like myself.

Retired &  Loving It

Tiefsa

This article in the New York Times Magazine about the addictive nature of junk food is worth reading. It's 14 pages long, so give yourself a good block of time, if you're a slow reader like myself.

This is a great article.  Thanks for sharing.  I need to eat more fruits and vegetables!

I haven't read the article yet, but I did make a huge dent in a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos today. I normally don't allow myself to buy chips, for obvious reasons.

Walk-Jogger

Even the comments are worth reading through. This one especially, quoting a food scientist, caught my eye:

“There’s no moral issue for me,” he said. “I did the best science I could. I was struggling to survive and didn't have the luxury of being a moral creature. As a researcher, I was ahead of my time.”

"I was just following orders."

Which quote is from this article, and which is from Nuremburg?

Retired &  Loving It

It was a great article.

i'm sympathetic to the argument that consumers don't take enough responsibility for their food choices. That plays a role here, but I cant't figure out people who thonk that's the end pf the story. This is an industry that deliberately obfuscates its product labeling to make it nearly impossible to make educated choices.

At the end of the day, if these companies find themselves lumped in with Big Tobacco -- something they were warned could happen a decade ago -- then it's not nard to conclude that they brought it upon the,selves.

p.s. stoopid ipad keypad...typos galore.

Better I Leave

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a book is coming out shortly. I will be ordering it. Thanks again.

http://michaelmossbooks.com/

Better I Leave

I have several FB/Real Life friends who are trained chefs that I've shared this with. They like(d) it as well.

Great article. Certainly junk foods are addictive and I personally love to eat them though I can control myself, most of the time I can endure not to eat them.

Gator eye

I ate a chocolate covered peep as I read this article.

northernman

Fight The Future

Interesting article. Especially this quote: "In lay terms, it is the tendency for big, distinct flavors to overwhelm the brain, which responds by depressing your desire to have more."

I wonder if selecting foods with "big, distinct flavors" would help people to lose weight?

Strict WTF adherent

That strategy is definitely NOT working with big, distinct beer

northernman

Fight The Future

That strategy is definitely NOT working with big, distinct beer

Maybe you just haven't had enough yet? Time to push the envelope to see...

Walk-Jogger

I ate a chocolate covered peep as I read this article.

I confess a moral weakness for the plain yellow Peeps. The wife knows it and extorts it to her advantage. Thank goodness they only really push the Peeps once a year for Easter...

Retired &  Loving It