How much do "real" shoes cost? (Read 1073 times)

Basically... run!

So, I'm thinking that it's about time I got some new shoes, but I've never actually been to a running store before. I'm hoping to do the whole gait analysis / shoe recommendation thing. What I really need to know though, is how much I should expect to spend (ie: when will I be able to afford it). What do you averagely spend on a pair of running shoes?

Lazy idiot

I can only speak for myself. Anywhere between $80-$120.

Tick tock

When I went to the running store to buy shoes for the very first time the sales lady checked out my old shoes, had me walk and she watched my gait. Then she brought out a bunch of shoes, lined them up in no particular order. I went through each one, trying them on, walking/jogging around in them. She would feel where my toes were. Finally I picked the pair that I liked the most. I asked her what the price range was of all the shoes she brought out, they were priced from $120 down to the ones I picked, which were $74 (or something like that). I was happy that I didn't pick the most expensive ones but I was happier knowing that my decision was strictly based on comfort and not the price tag.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

$85-$135 full retail. The more stability, the more $$. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jdmcgregor

All business

I go $80 - $120 or so as well. Also, last time i was shopping, i was thinking about switching brands. I suggest going somewhere where they've got several different sizes out for you to try-on yourself. You can try out all different styles easily (even different ones on different feet to feel little dissimilarities in shoes).

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Basically... run!

Thanks for all the replies, guys. That's around the price range I was afraid it would be. Stupid me for choosing a profession where you can't actually make a living. Angry But I really do want to get some "real" shoes! Guess I will be doing that extra job I was thinking about this fall. Then I'll be able to afford to run. Big grin

djh15

i think that perfectly fine running shoes cost about 70-90. i haven't bought a pair over 90 at a real running store.
                  Thanks for all the replies, guys. That's around the price range I was afraid it would be. Stupid me for choosing a profession where you can't actually make a living. Angry But I really do want to get some "real" shoes! Guess I will be doing that extra job I was thinking about this fall. Then I'll be able to afford to run. Big grin
                  Once you find a pair you like, you might be able to see if you can find them online. Other stuff, such as clothes and gear, you can find on eBay. Good luck! Also --- I like your reason for running Wink Very cute and great cup!
                  2009: BQ?

Basically... run!

Also --- I like your reason for running Wink Very cute and great cup!
                    Hahaha, thanks. Big grin Now: Yay for new shoes! And Boo for the stupid f***ing idiots who can't be bothered to pick up their dogs' shit on public paths and parks. Angry

Try DSW too - I try and support my local running store where my shoes (Asics 2120) go for around $140ish CDN (bloody 14% tax) but I have seen them at DSW for $85 USD! The bonus of going to a local store is that they will look at your gate and old shoes (bring them with you) to determine if you pronate or supinate - out of all the shoes they carry, they may be only 3 in the store that will be for you... Once you find a shoes you love you can then shop around but I would make sure to get fitted first by a local retailer and later on look for deals... 'cause it's only a deal if it's the right shoe! Big grin

For most people, shoes will be in the $70-$130 range. For some people, though, your running shoes will be in the $35-$45 range. Of course, when you can swing those kinds of deals, it usually means that you are going through 3 times as many pairs of shoes as the person that buys the same shoes for $100...

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)