What's 75% of VO2Max Feel Like? (Read 1171 times)

Feeling the growl again

Long Aerobic Run: ¼ - ½ of Lydiard Effort Chart 

RPE

Intensity

Breathing

Talking

% VO2 Max

Moderate

Comfortable

Easy

Somewhat strong

Noticeable

Somewhat easy

Strong

Deep, but steady

Challenging but in control

Not accurate or "scientifically" proven but this is how "we" prescribe it (in Running Wizard training plan).  We also prescribe HR for each workout based on age AND resting HR.

By Nobby's definition, no way in hell are they going to get anyone except very well trained runners through the first day....three in a row will not happen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

By Nobby's definition, no way in hell are they going to get anyone except very well trained runners through the first day....three in a row will not happen.

??? This is the RANGE of effort we prescribed for "aerobic long run".  I'm not sure what you mean by "three in a row"...  I'm not telling anybody to go by this definition, I'm not saying we're right either.  And we are NOT going to work on these definition just because Spaniel doesn't agree. ;o)

Feeling the growl again

??? This is the RANGE of effort we prescribed for "aerobic long run".  I'm not sure what you mean by "three in a row"...  I'm not telling anybody to go by this definition, I'm not saying we're right either.  And we are NOT going to work on these definition just because Spaniel doesn't agree. ;o)

MTA:  I missed the "talking" header on the column, never mind.  I thought it was trying to describe the effort level.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

MTA:  I missed the "talking" header on the column, never mind.  I thought it was trying to describe the effort level.

Spaniel:

I'm still curious though...  So you are saying "challenging but in control" effort 3 days in a row can only be achieved by very well-trained elites?  From my observation, however, I see this happens with more sub-elite (actually, more like hobby runners) than elite.  Besides, where did you get the idea people should train "challenging but in control" level of effort "3 days in a row"?  I'm just trying to figure out why someone like yourself with lots of common sense and knowledge and experience, for some reason, seem to have jumped to act so seemingly negative???  

By the way, so hopefully people would understand; what I had posted is RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) of how you'd expect "approximately 75% of VO2Max" should FEEL LIKE.  I'd be the first to admit that there's probably not much scientific proof to pin-point "this is it" and probably actual 75% wouldn't have to feel "challenging" but we still had to draw a line and define these things and we figured these are "reasonable".

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This whole thread is about:

Running for 2-2.5 hours at 75% of VO2max, followed by a 15minute time trial at fastest speed possible -- and doing all that three days in a row.

(See original post for the explanation.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

Nobby, go back and read the thread slowly. Spaniel's comments are about the study mentioned in the original post. I don't think they were critical of your ideas at all.

Nobby, go back and read the thread slowly. Spaniel's comments are about the study mentioned in the original post. I don't think they were critical of your ideas at all.

Oh, that I didn't... ;o)  I saw the title and jumped!  Call me Usain!! ;o)

Why is it sideways?

ha ha.

Feeling the growl again

No worries, I jumped when I saw your chart without reading the "talking" column header myself.  If talking is challenging, OK.  When I thought you meant EFFORT was challenging....and you were going to do it 2.25 hours on three consecutive days with an all-out time trial at the end of each one....well....hopefully you can see why I was doubtful someone could do that.

Even as you intended it, completing this task would be a gut-buster.  It seems they are either:

a)  Completely stupid and don't understand distance running; or

b)  Really trying to push someone's endurance and stamina to the limits in order to see if whatever supplement they are hocking provides a benefit.

c)  A and B

No worries, I jumped when I saw your chart without reading the "talking" column header myself.  If talking is challenging, OK.  When I thought you meant EFFORT was challenging....and you were going to do it 2.25 hours on three consecutive days with an all-out time trial at the end of each one....well....hopefully you can see why I was doubtful someone could do that.

Even as you intended it, completing this task would be a gut-buster.  It seems they are either:

a)  Completely stupid and don't understand distance running; or

b)  Really trying to push someone's endurance and stamina to the limits in order to see if whatever supplement they are hocking provides a benefit.

c)  A and B

Okay, I finally actually read the OP.  This is where I really question these "research".  So many people out there have no practical knowledge.  First of all, yes, this 2:15 @ 75% VO2Max crap...  Well, I guess it's possible to do that but, if this common thinking of "75% VO2Max is roughly your marathon pace...", then running 2:15 would put you, for some people, approximately running a full marathon 3 days in a row!  Then do Time Trial?  You'd better be paid well!!

Maybe a test like this is really needed to get a very objective numbers but, even then, it would be very difficult to apply that to everybody.  I know ours has a very wide range but that's actually the reason.  

I remember tailing to Peter (Snell) and he was criticizing some test being down at 75% VO2Max.  He was saying something about there's difference between 75% VO2Max vs 75% MaxHR and the test was done with these all mixed up.  Peter actually had a chart to tell you what pace you should be running at 65, 75 and 85% VO2Max which we actually used as a reference when we put together our chart.  We tried to get as close to reasonably accurate as possible but still it's nothing more than an educated guess.

This whole thread is about:

Running for 2-2.5 hours at 75% of VO2max, followed by a 15minute time trial at fastest speed possible -- and doing all that three days in a row.

(See original post for the explanation.)

I think most people would struggle with running 2.5 hours 3 days in a row at easy pace much less 75% of VO2 max followed by 15 minutes at around 5K pace. I choose A. 

Maybe an interesting idea for a new type of race though.  Do a 3 day event where participants can run as far/fast as they can in  3 hours, repeat each day and who ever has the most mileage at the end wins.

I think most people would struggle with running 2.5 hours 3 days in a row at easy pace much less 75% of VO2 max followed by 15 minutes at around 5K pace. I choose A. 

Maybe an interesting idea for a new type of race though.  Do a 3 day event where participants can run as far/fast as they can in  3 hours, repeat each day and who ever has the most mileage at the end wins.

Has a very slightly Tour de France feel too it. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."