High Altitude Run/ Low Altitude Training ?? (Read 158 times)

bigdtx

In just over a month I will be running my first  trail half marathon in Ruidoso, NM. The race elevation will be between 6,800 ft to ,7,800 roughly. I live in West Texas where we are at 2,441 ft elevation. We have a small hill (they call it a mountain here that only increases by 500 ft) in my town and we use that quite a bit in our runs--obviously no comparison. With over a month to go I am already at 10 miles on my weekly long run on my training plan and that will increase significantly before the race. I am curious if there is anything we can do besides getting a high altitude mask to train for the higher elevation run or how much of a factor it will even play. We plan on getting to NM a few days before and doing some light running that week but not sure that's enough to get even slightly acclimated to the altitude. Any advice is appreciated.

rmcj001

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm in central Texas and my first HM was the Rocky Mountain HM which is at around 7500-7800 ft. I trained in the Texas heat and raced in August. I don't know anything about NM but my guess is that the temp will be much cooler up there at the race. I know heat and altitude have nothing to do with each other but their effects sort of cancelled each other out in my case (I actually raced better than I had expected).

kilkee

runktrun

Either race within 24hrs, or acclimate for at least a week, ideally two.  Either way, you will likely be a bit slower, but unless you get altitude sickness, you won't be miserable.  Watch fluid intake and avoid booze if this is your first time at altitude.  I lived in WY for a while and never had a problem (6,200'), moved back east and then got light headed and short of breath after running and drinking on a trip to Boulder (5,200ish).

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

xhristopher

You should buy an altitude chamber to sleep in for this race. Here's one for you.

TXSaintsfan

I live in Houston, and I read an article today that training in 104 temps helps to acclimate for high altitudes. It's not 104 here, but it feels like it with 97% humidity and 77 dew point. I'm going to do Pike's Peak in July.

Altitude with regards to less oxygen to breathe is not a factor worth worrying about for your race, it will have a minor impact at worst. However, there are other factors associated with higher NM elevation that often catch people by surprise, such as ultra-low humidity and extreme UV exposure. These conditions are very dehydrating. Make sure you protect yourself against sunburn and expect to consume more fluids than usual.

Daydreamer1

Altitude with regards to less oxygen to breathe is not a factor worth worrying about for your race, it will have a minor impact at worst. However, there are other factors associated with higher NM elevation that often catch people by surprise, such as ultra-low humidity and extreme UV exposure. These conditions are very dehydrating. Make sure you protect yourself against sunburn and expect to consume more fluids than usual.

I'm going to kind of disagree with the first part of this. I live and train at elevations between sea level to 2200'.  Anything above 5500 I feel it right away. Just getting out of the vehicle at Gallup NM and walking up a flight of steps will leave me winded when coming from the low lands.  For me elevations of 6800-7800 would probably slow me by 15-20% on the first day or two of being in the area, maybe more. That being said by day three of sleeping at that level I would be feeling almost 100%.  If I would then move on to 9000-10000' I would again feel it for several days.  The effects of Altitude seem to be highly specific to the individual so that was my experience.

I fully agree with the fluid intake. You will  go through a lot of water and not even feel like you're sweating it evaporates that fast. And the sun will fry you to a crisp very quickly.

Anonymous Guest

I live in Houston, and I read an article today that training in 104 temps helps to acclimate for high altitudes. It's not 104 here, but it feels like it with 97% humidity and 77 dew point. I'm going to do Pike's Peak in July.

Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. I live just north of Houston, about 150' above sea level. Running Angel Fire Adventure Marathon in NM next weekend, elevation 8,400' above sea level.

Ask me a week from tomorrow what it was like....

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

bigdtx

Thank you all for your awesome feedback!!! I am 42 and just started running about two months ago since I cant play my sand vball like I did in Austin. I went from hating it to willingly planning this half in July, a full in November in Vegas and hopefully many more after that. I'm not looking to break records, I just want to finish the run without falling apart. I hope all your upcoming races/runs go well.

Good luck to you tomorrow Batgirl/Anonymous Guest. Please do tell us about your experience. To both you and bigdtx, the key is this: find the sustainable pace early. It may help to start out at your easy pace in the first mile and work your way up to something that feels sustainable.

LB2

I'm a little late to this party, but I see that your race is still a couple of weeks out, bigdtx. I actually have some specific experience with this topic. I live north of Baton Rouge, La. So, I am much lower than 2441. I went on a spring turkey hunt/running adventure last spring in the Gila NF in New Mexico. We killed some turkeys, and I ran some mountain trails. I ran some fast trail miles up to around 8800 feet with absolutely no problem. In fact, I was quite surprised at how fast I was able to run on some very technical trails. However, like Daydreamer mentioned, I think altitude is a very individual thing. I have never felt any issues under 10,000 feet, but I didn't get that high on that trip and haven't been that high in many years. I don't think the impact at 7800 feet will be too bad. With lower humidity, you may actually exceed your goals. You will need to make sure you take care of your hydration needs because the climate is so dry you can get into a bind before you know it. To me, distances are relative in that if you haven't run a half marathon it can be daunting task. I remember when I ran my first one; I never thought I would ever be able to go one step beyond it. Even though I have run much greater distances since that half marathon, it is still something that I consider one of my greatest accomplishments as a runner, not that I have accomplished much as a runner. But it is still a day I will never forget. Good luck.

LB2

Feeling the growl again

The one altitude race I ran was mile high (Denver).  Honestly I didn't even notice it until the mile mark of my 7 mile relay leg.  Yes it slowed me down, but it wasn't a killer or anything.

It affects some people a lot worse.

My buddy who ran the opening leg said that it was right at the mile mark that you could differentiate who trained at altitude and who did not, because the group split binary along those lines right there.

The key it to go out conservatively and work into it, depending how you feel.  It's a HM, no need to blow the doors off out of the gate anyways.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Anonymous Guest

In my case, there was a BIG difference between the marathon I ran in Colorado Springs a couple years ago (so around 6000 feet) and the marathon I ran last weekend at 8400-8800 feet. I didn't feel much different in Co Springs than running at my normal sea level elevation, but at Angel Fire last weekend, I could not run the uphills at all. I just couldn't catch my breath. i ended up walking pretty much every uphill and it was my slowest marathon in over four years. By a lot. Then again, between it being a small marathon and other people also having trouble breathing, I ended up second in my age group. And the next day, no post-marathon soreness, since the limiting factor was my lungs and not my legs.

It was beautiful and a fun weekend and a nice run, but for me, too high of an elevation to run the time I'd have liked to run and am capable of running at lower elevations. It wasn't so bad that I was getting sick or headache-y or anything, just harder to breathe. I drank a bunch of water and gatorade leading up to the race and I think that helped as far as not getting a headache (I tend to get migraines anyway). I would definitely take the advice of those that say to go out easy. If it doesn't affect you, pick up the pace. If it does, just keep it easy and enjoy the scenery.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

bigdtx

---UPDATE-----Well, here is the result. We started off the morning pumped up with hydration packs full and all taped up ready to tackle some mountains. We were concerned about my wifes knee which started acting up two weeks prior to this race IT band issue but thought we would chance it. Off we went at a slow pace and you could feel the increase in elevation but after mile two we felt normal again. But we were not prepared for the technical part. A few roots and rocks is all it takes to get us flatlanders. We were slow but moving. After we reached the peak of the run which was 6 miles in we decided to turn it up and make up some time however shortly after my wifes knee was starting to ache on the downhills. We went back to hiking more than running and at mile 9 at the last radio stop we had to call it and be driven in. My wife was devastated and did not want to quit. I felt great the whole way through and was ready  to blast off at any moment and catchup and leave some that were ahead  in the dust but this was our 1st wedding anniversary adventure so I was not going to run on without her. Even though we did not finish it was an amazing day, the views, the time out there together was priceless. Wow, how perspectives change with age.

It looks like its a severe IT band issue she needs to exercise and rehab, Thank god no surgery!! We should be back on track for a full FLAT marathon in vegas in November and we will back for some redemption in the mountains next year. Thanks everyone for your info on this run. Hope your adventures are going great.