Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

*I need to find a spring marathon nearby. That's been a thought since it looks like I may not run Boston. Undecided I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest a fast one neighboring Tennessee (feb-april).
    Gasparilla is March 1st here in Tampa, two states away. I run part of the course on my daily route daily and this whole area is dead flat. The only "hills" here are 3 or 4 short (100m - 200m) bridges across the channel. The course map looks a little confusing there around miles 8 and 9 but once you sort it out on google maps it doesn't look that bad. (disclaimer: I'm not a marathon guy so if this isn't really speedy I apologize, my mind equates flat with speed. Smile Route http://www.tampabayrun.com/Assets/Tampa$!27s+Marathon+Course+Map+2008.pdf
    Run like you stole something.
      This is the same workout on the same course (doing 3.2 mile laps around a lake where it's pretty flat, using my garmin to mark off 1000 meter reps and 2 minute recoveries).
      This is giving me an excuse to buy a Garmin. I do not live close enough to any track. And I'd prefer the road for that's where we race anyhow. Once I thought about one cause I wished to have the ability to see what pace I was maintaining. Do you use that function, and how well does it work?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Right on Hereford...

Jim, please add me as a hopeful! I have a good ways to go before sub-3 is realistic, but I'm tentatively setting Chicago 2009 as my goal race.
        mikeymike

Do you use that function, and how well does it work?
          I display "lap pace" during long intervals--this tells you your average pace for the current lap up to that point. It works well. I pretty much only use it for intervals.

Runners run

Jim, please add me as a hopeful! I have a good ways to go before sub-3 is realistic, but I'm tentatively setting Chicago 2009 as my goal race.
            Gotcha covered Dakota. I see you've been bumping up the miles lately. Nice goin! You're going to notice a dfiference--guaranteed.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Put me down. Jim, you were one those who responded when I was all full of piss and vinegar after finding this site following the collapse of the coolrunning (and, like an idiot, I was clueless to the fact that it was established.) So I'm glad you're doing this. Anyway, I posted a question wondering if I could beat 3. I'd PR'd and knocked off a buncha time on my first return marathon after years off, qualified for Boston and thought, heck, w/ better training, I can beat 3 at Boston. Your words (nowhere near enough mileage, primarily) echoed in my head during much of my training and in Boston as the goal slipped away. Better training got me about five minutes off. Another 7 and change to go yet. Now, I've got a LOT more mileage, but realize it still may not be enough. I need to train better. I just pick marathon training skeds, run the mileage and long runs and do some races. MUST MUST MUST do tempos and that stuff. But what the hey, I'll be aiming for <3 @ boston in 2009. @="" boston="" in=""></3 @ boston in 2009.>
                Welcome Dan, looks like you are headed in the right direction.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                kcam

Jim, if that' hopefuls' list get's much longer it may be usefull to sort it by attempted marathon date as opposed to alphabetically. Nice to keep track of the attempts as they come up.
                    I have question about the long runs - This is week 1 of the 15 weeks till marathon. I will be going with a 2 week taper. I've been running regular 13's this year. So how should I progress the long runs? And how many 20's to plan for? Looking at a plan that would have me run, say 14, 15, cut back - 17, 18, cut back - 20, cut back, 20, cut back.... Or should I run 14, cut back, 16, cut back, 18, cut back, 20, cut back, 20......? Discuss....

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

If you've been running for several years you might be able to jump right into some 16’s and 18’s with no problem. As far as cut back weeks I’d rather take them as needed rather schedule them. With your base you might have to take some risks if you want to be ready by December. What kind of mileage were you doing before last year’s Rocket City?
                        If you've been running for several years you might be able to jump right into some 16’s and 18’s with no problem. As far as cut back weeks I’d rather take them as needed rather schedule them. With your base you might have to take some risks if you want to be ready by December. What kind of mileage were you doing before last year’s Rocket City?
                        This is my second year. I do not see sub-3 happening this year, but I am going for it! So you would say run 20's back-to-back? Confused Last year I averaged close to 60 mpw, top week of 67.

Ricky

mikeymike

pRED, I agree with Jim you could jump right into 16's or 18's. I also don't plan cutbacks. This summer I built up by running a distance all easy the first time, then with some kind of tempo or progression the 2nd time. If I need an easier week, I just do the long run at an easy pace. An 18 mile progression run can be a much harder workout than a 20 or even 22 mile run all at an easy pace.

Runners run

For this training cycle (Chicago 10/12/08). I've already run 5 20's and 1 22. (One 20 had 15 @ MP, the rest were easy pace). I still have another 22 and another 20 (with 15 @ MP). So that will make 6 20's and 2 22's in an 18-week cycle. In the beginning of the cycle they were spaced out by about 3 weeks. However, from 8/10 to 9/17 I will have run 3 20's and 2 22's in the span of about 38 days... This is when the training gets tough, but thats what a taper is for..

Ham & Egger

Hey guys, let me float a question out there to you: I did 5x1600m tempo intervals today--what's the amount of recovery you'd take on these puppies... On an aside, my footspeed has gone to crap...funny how quickly that can disappear.
                              www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
                                This is my second year. I do not see sub-3 happening this year, but I am going for it! So you would say run 20's back-to-back? Confused Last year I averaged close to 60 mpw, top week of 67.
                                Back to back might be stretching it, but i'd probably keep short end at 16. A lot is individual and how susceptible you are to injury. The key is to keep the pace easy in the beginning an work up to adding more intensity. As I'm sure you realize, 60 mpw is quite a difference from what you've done in recent months so you have your work cut out for you. Listen to your body, as the saying goes.