possible stress fracture? (Read 1123 times)

i'm not running crazy miles or anything, but i have what is beginning to feel like a stress fracture in my lower right shin, along the inside. it had been developing and i kind of ignored it, but this week it hurt enough that all day i've been putting off my saturday run. i'm *pretty* sure it's a stress fracture (had one in high school in the same area), but i dunno, i haven't had it looked at yet. - pain in my lower right shin about 4" over my inner ankle. only in this leg, and nowhere else in this leg. - i feel it most while running, but sometimes when i'm going up and down stairs, and once while i was standing up from sitting on the floor w/ kids (yesterday). - recently switched shoes (from asics kayano to asics gel nimbus) after asking to be refitted at a local running shop. different dude fit me, but he seemed knowledgeable and took his time. he suggested moving away from the kayano b/c in spite of my arch situation, my underpronation was a bigger issue for me (probably true-- i walk/run very much on the outsides of my feet, it sucks. has resulted in some knee and hip problems over the last couple of years). could it be just the switch? or that the shoe i ended up w/ is just plain wrong for me? - changed my birth control situation (i know hormones can impact blood calcium and bone density... so... would this be a factor also? and if so, permanent or temporary?). - my diet is sound, though i've been lazy about taking my multi+calcium lately. i will get it looked at if i have to, but in the meantime, i have a half-m scheduled for next weekend... do i take the rest of the week off to let it heal and just see how i do next sunday? do i take advil and just run through to at least keep some miles in there this coming week, and then take more advil on sunday? what do i make of the new shoes?? i want to like them, but i look at them and feel a little sad. please advise.
      Looks like you put in some good mileage in October, so I think you have a greater potential payback from resting. Years ago I tried running and gave up when I developed pain in my shins, knees and lower back. I doubt very much that I was wearing the right shoes, and I know I didn't build up slowly enough. Thankfully I learned from those mistakes, and I've been able to run injury free for several years now by reducing mileage. I walked for probably a year, then started "running" stairs (a wonderful set of 200 stone steps from the bottom to the top of the Wachusett Reservoir Dam in Clinton, MA). I was picking my feet up just enough to clear the edge of the next step, and I worked on landing as gently as possible. When I first started running brief intervals, I made a point of continuing emphasis on reduced impact. Unless I'm racing (or doing rare speed work) I still keep my feet as close to the ground as possible, continuing with the low impact "shuffle" that I developed. I hadn't done any real research, and I was pretty much just heading for the nearby New Balance outlet and buying any reasonably priced shoe (which is most at the outlet) that didn't look too geeky. They might have been right for me, or maybe not. In my case, I really believe working on my form was more important than what shoe I laced up. As always, every body's different so your mileage may vary. Leading up to my first marathon attempt, I did my final runs on the tracks at a couple of high schools. They have that rubberized surface that gives great traction and seems to be much kinder on feet, joints and shins. If you don't have one available and you want to stay loose with some easy runs, is there a trail or better yet a cross country course nearby? I hope it's an issue that passes quickly, so that you can enjoy your half Michele. Best of luck to you, please keep us posted.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

ok, some other runner friends are telling me, "if you think it's a SF, stop running! you need to rest it for min. 6 weeks!" but i have this bad habit of ignoring pain well, and i know the last time i had one (high school field hockey) i played through it for a couple of bigger games before resting it... so i feel like i could conceivably run this coming weekend even if it hurts and THEN rest it for 6 weeks... sort of. the problem is i also have 3 more NYRR races to finish before the end of the year to qualify for next year's NYC marathon, something i really really really want to do... so even if i just limp through them, can i? this means not really actually resting my stupid shin until christmas, though... please tell me candidly if i am being really stupid, or if you would do the same. (or both)
          Resting might work but, if you really think you have a stress fracture I think it would be prudent to at least call you doctor. It's not something you want to aggravate.
          I walked for probably a year, then started "running" stairs (a wonderful set of 200 stone steps from the bottom to the top of the Wachusett Reservoir Dam in Clinton, MA).
          Ed, not to hijack the thread but, are you from the Clinton area? Do you remember a road race that used to go clear around the Wachusetts reservoir? It might've been 18 miles. I'm in my 2nd incarnation as a runner & I remember running it back in the 80's. I'm old enough to remember a shortlived Fall marathon called Bostonfest too. Good luck littlem, hope it's just the shoes & you kick hiney next weekend.
            Looks like you put in some good mileage in October, so They have that rubberized surface that gives great traction and seems to be much kinder on feet, joints and shins. If you don't have one available and you want to stay loose with some easy runs, is there a trail or better yet a cross country course nearby?
            ps sadly, jersey city has few rubberized tracks-- one is way down on the far end of town, across from some projects and i'm told i shouldn't run there alone, and one is part of a private school's property and i can only get onto it sometimes (before they realize i'm there, basically). the rest is just... asphalt and concrete. hence the problem, i guess. for a while, i was driving to my old town to use the track before or after my coached swimming, but my work schedule changed and i haven't had time to use the track there before it gets dark anymore. and it's a 40 minute drive, too. boo.
            mikeymike

Ed, not to hijack the thread but, are you from the Clinton area? Do you remember a road race that used to go clear around the Wachusetts reservoir? It might've been 18 miles. I'm in my 2nd incarnation as a runner & I remember running it back in the 80's. I'm old enough to remember a shortlived Fall marathon called Bostonfest too. Good luck littlem, hope it's just the shoes & you kick hiney next weekend.
              To continue that hijack it's called Stu's 30K. Great race and a must do for anyone training for Boston. Modified to add: It probably is not a stress fracture--at least not yet. Sounds like plain old shin splints. I'd probably try managing it for a while with ice and ibuprofen and switching up the shoes to see if that matters. Also running on soft surfaces (grass or whatever you can find) for a while is a good suggestion though not always easy, I know. If you can find a sports med or ortho doc who's a runner and will not do the knee-jerk thing and tell you to stop running, it's worth getting it looked at.

Runners run

If you can find a sports med or ortho doc who's a runner and will not do the knee-jerk thing and tell you to stop running, it's worth getting it looked at.
                THAT is exactly why i've been putting off making an appointment. anyone know anybody good in the nyc/hoboken/jc area? i think what i might do-- please tell me if this sounds stupid-- is keep RICEing, skip next week's half, and just sort of try to hang in there for the upcoming nyrr races, b/c they count toward something greater. the philly half... i really really WANT to do it, but if i skip it in favor of resting for a bit it's no big deal. if i end up running it and making this thing worse, i might have to take a break before i get through those last 3 nyrr races, and then i don't get to qualify for next year's marathon which would be very disappointing! is that, uh, the smartest dumb way to do this?

Me and my RP

I had the same pain in my leg in June. I put off having it looked at because I didn't want to be told to take the time off. I kept running on it and in July, went out for a run and that was it. I couldn't even put pressure on it. I had to have it looked at then and sure enough, stress fracture. I was in a cast and off my feet for 7.5 weeks. I spent those 7.5 weeks swimming but I still missed running so badly. I guess what I'm saying is if it's NOT a stress fracture yet, don't let it become one. Unless you believe there are underlying issues causing the stress fracture, going in really isn't crucial because the only thing you can do is rest it. I'm surprised I was even casted as I'm told most don't even do that. As a PP mentioned, your mileage really increased really quickly in October. Perhaps backing off the miles and adding some ice time would help you heal a bit faster. I hope it resolves itself soon!
                    wow, they casted you?? hm.

Me and my RP

I think I had (notice the use of past tense there) an overly eager ortho. Can you get your hands on a walking cast? (TBH, they're dirt cheap on eBay. I pd $125 for mine at the drs office so don't go that route) If you can, it might help immobilize that area when you're not running (i.e. going to the grocery store, around the house, etc.) I found the support mine gave me at the tail end of my recovery was incredible.

Imminent Catastrophe

Michele, I was about where you were two years ago, I didn't want to know what the injury was because I really, really wanted to run the Honolulu Marathon the next month and didn't want a doctor telling me I couldn't. So I basically stopped running, limped through the HM (slow and painful because I hadn't trained for a month), and paid for it by not running another race for 6 months. After the HM I got a bone scan and, sure enough, a tibial stress fracture, which I had just made much worse by running a marathon on concrete and asphalt. That hot spot is the SF. It was a calculated risk, and I decided that I would rather do the race and take a few months in the penalty box than pull out and regret it. I got my finisher's medal and have had a good year, so I have no regrets. So I guess it boils down to how badly you want that NYC Marathon automatic entry. I know how you feel, I got rejected by the lottery this year. Just realize that you might really hurt yourself if you continue to run on a SF. I've even heard reports of a tibia actually snapping in two during a race. That had to hurt!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Michele, I've even heard reports of a tibia actually snapping in two during a race. That had to hurt!
                          ah! even the sound my brain just imagined hurt! i think i have all but decided to skip philly, work on getting through the next 3 qualifying races for nyc and then take january & february off except to cycle & swim. eh.
                            To continue that hijack it's called Stu's 30K. Great race and a must do for anyone training for Boston.
                            That's it! I really had a good time in the 80's my memory has a few holes in it. Don't know about Boston but, I'll keep an eye out for Stu's in '08. Thanks Mike.
                            mikeymike

That's it! I really had a good time in the 80's my memory has a few holes in it. Don't know about Boston but, I'll keep an eye out for Stu's in '08. Thanks Mike.
                              Usually it's the first weekend in March--I'll be there if it fits in with the family's sched.

Runners run

Awesome. I just found a map of the course under Find Routes. Got a reason to get out the door this Winter.