The Slate Marathon Calculator (Read 176 times)

Nice to add another data point to the "crystal ball' calculators.

FWIW - came within 1 minute of my last marathon.

Ready, go.

It doesn't seem to consider an improvement ceiling based on volume.

Yeah, it does appear that the algorithm is fairly linear.

Why is it sideways?

Predicts ~5 minutes slow for me. Probably a great calculator for setting a "B" goal.

B-Plus

Predicts ~5 minutes slow for me. Probably a great calculator for setting a "B" goal.

Me too, but McM predicts almost 4 minutes slow.

xhristopher

Interestingly the predictor asks how difficult the course was for the shorter races it uses but asks nothing about how difficult the course is for the marathon you will run or ran. Some marathons are faster or slower than others. Otherwise fools would be setting PRs at the Monkey Marathon.

Predictors are dumb. But for what it's worth I fell right in the middle of the two calculators.

It's just a guideline. The best predictors are probably long runs (18-20 miles) with some marathon pace running (say 30 to 50%).

delicate flower

I am shooting for a 3:18 at Philly next weekend.  Slate predicts a 3:18 for me.  IT BETTER NOT BE WRONG FFS.

<3

onemile

McMillan gave me a 3:18.  Slate gave me 3:28 (seems this is because my tune up half was on a fast course).  I ran 3:23.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Slate, McMillan, and RA are all in the same ballpark for me, and pretty accurate - well, at best I was four minutes slower than they predict.  I can fudge them up or down a bit depending on which race performances I choose to give them.  Best response is marathons are dumb.

FSBD

I like the spreadsheet at mymarathonpace.com

It lets you set the level of aggressiveness so you can see 5 different predictions somewhere between sandbagging and suicide pace. The moderate setting is usually fairly close to accurate for me.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Julia1971

Great.  Another calculator that says I'm not racing up to my potential. 

Interestingly the predictor asks how difficult the course was for the shorter races it uses but asks nothing about how difficult the course is for the marathon you will run or ran. Some marathons are faster or slower than others. Otherwise fools would be setting PRs at the Monkey Marathon.

It also doesn't let you enter two of the same race distances.  My last two races were both half marathons but different levels of difficulty.  Edited to add: I used the last half marathon I ran and the Slate calculator was "off" by 9 minutes.

LRB

I ran 10 minutes slower than the RW predicted time and 5 minutes faster than the Slate one.  : scratches head :

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

something is clearly wrong with you my friend

I ran 10 minutes slower than the RW predicted time and 5 minutes faster than the Slate one.  : scratches head :

Dream Maker

SLate at high weekly miles, I underperform.  Only a 18 sec per mile slow down from 5k to marathon would be cool tho.

at peak I outperformed Slate.