Finishing Strong On Easy Runs (Read 967 times)

SMART Approach

I think for me, hitting it hard twice a week for me on my "low miles" is too much which led to my hamstring tendonitis. My focus this summer/Fall now that I am pretty much healed is to do one key work out and finish my long run at a faster pace (if feeling good). All other runs are comfortable with some striders toward end of run or sometimes I will throw them in throughout run for variety. i.e. 8-10 3K-5K paced 100M striders spread out over last 3-5 miles. It breaks up the monotony of a 4-6 mile training run yet doesn't break you down. As Jim mentioned, hit your hard days hard and recovery on all the other days without real fast finishs of length.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Why is it sideways?

It sounds like what the OP is describing is a progression run instead of an easy run. Progression runs have their place in training, but they should not replace easy runs. This thread has a lot of interesting insights and links about how to work progression running into your schedule.