Cleveland Marathon? (Read 119 times)

Julia1971

I'm looking at spring marathons and was wondering if anyone has run the Cleveland Marathon and has observations to share. On paper, it looks flat and therefore, potentially fast.  But, I don't think I've heard/read much about it.

shu_runner

I've ran the half twice and the full twice.  Yes, it is pretty flat.  The most unpredictable factor is the weather.  It's late May in Cleveland which could mean anything from freezing rain and snow to pushing 80+ degrees and full sun.

Julia1971

I've ran the half twice and the full twice.  Yes, it is pretty flat.  The most unpredictable factor is the weather.  It's late May in Cleveland which could mean anything from freezing rain and snow to pushing 80+ degrees and full sun.

That makes sense...  I look at the trends and see what's most likely.  Thanks!

Linny12

I have done the full and half each once in Cleveland. It's not a great race. The weather was humid and 80's when I did the full, and people were dropping everywhere. The weather was OK the year I did the half (rainy and 60's), but the course support is lacking. I love Cleveland, but it's a mystery why the race is just sort of blah.

Julia1971

Thanks!  I thought I replied again after my last message but see I didn't...  I did research the weather and I was surprised to see you both were correct - it's hot in Cleveland in May!  I never would have guessed.  So, unless there's a weather fluke, I'm guessing the conditions will be less than ideal and not a place to go for a PR.  A co-worker assured me, though, that living in D.C. I probably wouldn't find it oppressive so I was still thinking of doing it.

Anonymous Guest

A co-worker assured me, though, that living in D.C. I probably wouldn't find it oppressive so I was still thinking of doing it.

I did it when I was living out your way. I found it hot and oppressive, especially for May. I might think differently now, but who knows.

If you're looking for a May marathon, I enjoyed Fargo. Flat and fast and much less likely to be hot, was 44 degrees last year.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

dj_dubb

So, unless there's a weather fluke...

Cleveland area = weather fluke.

Been around this area most of my life. I used to run the 5k that was during the same weekend as the full in May every year. Snowed, or was brutally hot, or was anywhere between.

Julia1971

You all warned me...  This morning, Accuweather was showing a high of 81 degrees for Sunday.  And, I just checked the local news...  that weatherman is saying 87!  (With an overnight low of 65 degrees, so my guess is the race gets red flagged.)  The day before and after look warm but not terrible.  Oh well.  Might be more of a having beers in The Flats kinda weekend than a running one.

shu_runner

Yep!  It's going to be a hot one this year.  At least if it doesn't rain it'll be a nice change of pace from the last few years.  One thing Cleveland isn't lacking is beer.  The promise of beer and brunch are the only things keeping me on the starting line.

Julia1971

Yep!  It's going to be a hot one this year.  At least if it doesn't rain it'll be a nice change of pace from the last few years.  One thing Cleveland isn't lacking is beer.  The promise of beer and brunch are the only things keeping me on the starting line.

I will carry a credit card so I can have a couple of post-race beers. 

Just checked the details on the year the Chicago Marathon was cancelled/rerouted due to heat.  It happebed after 3.5 hours and was upper 80s.

Of course Monday will be perfect marathoning weather! Just like Tuesday in Boston.

Dave

shu_runner

Of course Monday will be perfect marathoning weather! Just like Tuesday in Boston.

But of course.

n

Julia1971

I'll admit I looked up information on the Ottawa Marathon, which is next weekend.  But, I think I'll just start mentally preparing myself for this sufferfest.

My only real concern is if the race gets cancelled mid-way through.  For better or for worse, if I make the trip and start the race, I'd like the chance to finish and get a time.  But, having run Boston 2012 and seen how bad things can get for runners in these types of conditions, I'll understand if race officials have to make that call.  It'll just be disappointing.

shu_runner

My only real concern is if the race gets cancelled mid-way through. 

For what it's worth, I've never seen Cleveland do this.  I've ran it in similar conditions in the past and they still kept it rolling.  But who knows.  Anything could happen, I suppose.

Julia1971

For what it's worth, I've never seen Cleveland do this.  I've ran it in similar conditions in the past and they still kept it rolling.  But who knows.  Anything could happen, I suppose.

That's good to know...  I was wondering why the race hadn't sent anything out about the weather, which seems pretty common these days.  But maybe they're like, "You know this is how it always is."